What's Happened To Our Wonderful Isaan Forum?

lampard10

What has happened to all our posters? We are averaging 1.9 posts a day this month. This from the widest coverage on Thai Visa. Come on lads. Extractum Digitum. A couple of months ago people were marvelling how diverse and interesting the Isaan Forum was.

I don't know of any theories as to the reasons, but activity on forums like these thaivisa.com ones does seem to be sporadic.

As far as this Isaan forum is concerned, it is, of course, the time for rice farmers in Isaan to be busy on the land. But, somehow, I doubt if that applies!!!

What has happened to all our posters? We are averaging 1.9 posts a day this month. This from the widest coverage on Thai Visa. Come on lads. Extractum Digitum. A couple of months ago people were marvelling how diverse and interesting the Isaan Forum was.

Yes, it has been a little bit quite as of late. Perhaps you can motivate the power drinkers :D

in the Farang Connection to start doing something a bit more pro-active. :o

"Maybe it mirrors the masses returning to farangland for the 6 months of working... ?"

Seriously, I have often wondered just how much of this goes on, what jobs there are that men can swan in to and swan out of in farangland (or elsewhere offshore), and how much such FFFEMs (Frequent Flyer Farang Economic Migrants) bring in to the Isaan economy.

I first came here at the age of 62 and needed to supplement my small occupational pension. It happened that, although I had never taught in a school, I did have a piece of paper, from forty years earlier, that gave me permission to do it in the UK schools.

So I could go there after Easter and work as a 'Supply' for a term, come back to Isaan for the summer break, and then go again at the end of August and work up towards Christmas.

Somehow, and maybe the declining daylight had something to do with it, I used to decide that I had earned enough for the year by mid November. So yet another flight on TG911 got booked.

(I tell folk that it was a hard life---only getting two breaks a year, of just the six weeks in summer and the six months in winter!)

Other FFFEMs that I have come across were one who drove a London taxi from March to September, and one who worked four weeks on/ four weeks off on a North Sea oil rig.

But I would guess that there must be lots more.

I've always felt the Issan section was a bit boring. I check it everyday but there never seems to be any exciting threads. In fact I feel like sleeping right now and it's only 8:00am. Do the people living up in Issan have mia nois? Is cow-tipping real? Can it be done with buffaloes? Please wake me up!!!

We could always start another snake thread. :o

Or an Isaan centred last word thread :D

The reason as I see it Martin is that there is so much going on in the capital at the moment it tends to overshadow everything else. It would not surprise me in the slightest if all the other sub forums show a similar slump.

Somtam tlw

Maybe it mirrors the masses returning to farangland for the 6 months of working... ?

totster :o

You mean they haven't got internet in their home Countries?????????

More like lack of time I would say !

Totster :D

Well Tots hit the nail on the head as far as I am concerned Baby keeping us busy recently she has had a bad cold now the missus has a bad cold, priorto that bad headaches ended up at Surin NAtional, then me mate Mervyn came up for a couple of days, plus computer being a pain, so next Sunday I am going up to Mervyns in Petchabun, and he is going to upgrade it etc etc.

I just have not had the time

I've always felt the Issan section was a bit boring. I check it everyday but there never seems to be any exciting threads. In fact I feel like sleeping right now and it's only 8:00am. Do the people living up in Issan have mia nois? Is cow-tipping real? Can it be done with buffaloes? Please wake me up!!!

IMHO, I wouldn't recommend trying to tip over a buffalo or for that matter even a Brahma bull. Actually it's not too exciting talking about putting in new rice paddies or clearing land that hasn't been farmed for many years. I enjoy playing with my little four wheel drive tractor but not too many people want to hear about it. :o

The ironic thing about the title of this thread.........wonderful and isaan being used in the same sentence. Not that is tragic!

Maybe people are fed up with certain posters.......but really...............who cares!

The ironic thing about the title of this thread.........wonderful and isaan being used in the same sentence. Not that is tragic!

Maybe people are fed up with certain posters.......but really...............who cares!

Sounds like one of them I referred to in another thread. Never set foot in Isaan! :o

Maybe it mirrors the masses returning to farangland for the 6 months of working... ?

totster :o

You mean they haven't got internet in their home Countries?????????

More like lack of time I would say !

Totster :D

Too true,,,,I will be in Korat in two weeks,,,,cant wait,,,,I spend 13 hours a day with my work (stop laughing at the back)6 days a week. So really the internet is not top of the list when family matters are.

Dont get disheartened ,,,,silence is golden.

Sounds like one of them I referred to in another thread. Never set foot in Isaan! :o

Ohyes he has Lamps. In fact he's an old friend of yours, although at this present time he hasn't many friends left in Surin at all.

Ohyes he has Lamps. In fact he's an old friend of yours, although at this present time he hasn't many friends left in Surin at all.

Big fat Dutchman or big fat Yank?

• 1 month later...

My wife from near Nong Bua Lamphu and I are planning on moving to the area permanently in 2-3 years........... when I plan to set up a cycling club and get everyone - yes, that includes the boozers amongst you - to join in on a Tour de Isaan .... of course we´ll be checking your urine at the end of every leg for traces of doping (called "taking the piss" in professional circles). I´m counting on hundreds of you joining in, as I´ve been reading recently about a lack of things to do there........ :o

My wife from near Nong Bua Lamphu and I are planning on moving to the area permanently in 2-3 years........... when I plan to set up a cycling club and get everyone - yes, that includes the boozers amongst you - to join in on a Tour de Isaan .... of course we´ll be checking your urine at the end of every leg for traces of doping (called "taking the piss" in professional circles). I´m counting on hundreds of you joining in, as I´ve been reading recently about a lack of things to do there........ :o

Care to share your plans of s cycling club? I ride every day but it gets boring riding alone all the time. It would be cool to have a network of issan riders to join up with.

Care to share your plans of s cycling club? I ride every day but it gets boring riding alone all the time. It would be cool to have a network of issan riders to join up with.

Hey Nidge,

Get on with it. Start an Isaan Cycle club. I will be among the first to join. You cyclist will need a lazy twit like me following you in a pickup with spare tires, parts, and refeshments. Sounds like great fun and lampard10 will be delighted with the new post on the forum!

Edited by roietjimmy

I had a good cycle ride one morning last year.

After doing a kilometre, I noticed that the overnight express from Bangkok to Nong Khai had been put on the passing loop at our local station to wait for the local train to come down in the opposite direction.

I got out the camera, took a few shots, got a cab ride up to Kumpawari, and came back on the bus to collect my bike from the station.

That is my idea of a good hour out on the bike---15 km in a locomotive, 15 km on a bus, and 2 km on the bike!

My wife from near Nong Bua Lamphu and I are planning on moving to the area permanently in 2-3 years........... when I plan to set up a cycling club and get everyone - yes, that includes the boozers amongst you - to join in on a Tour de Isaan .... of course we´ll be checking your urine at the end of every leg for traces of doping (called "taking the piss" in professional circles). I´m counting on hundreds of you joining in, as I´ve been reading recently about a lack of things to do there........ :D

Hey Nidge,

Get on with it. Start an Isaan Cycle club. I will be among the first to join. You cyclist will need a lazy twit like me following you in a pickup with spare tires, parts, and refeshments. Sounds like great fun and lampard10 will be delighted with the new post on the forum!

There is a "Cycling in Isaan" thread running parallel to this, so I think I´ll switch my reply to there... if you don´t mind following me???........ :o

My wife from near Nong Bua Lamphu and I are planning on moving to the area permanently in 2-3 years........... when I plan to set up a cycling club and get everyone - yes, that includes the boozers amongst you - to join in on a Tour de Isaan .... of course we´ll be checking your urine at the end of every leg for traces of doping (called "taking the piss" in professional circles). I´m counting on hundreds of you joining in, as I´ve been reading recently about a lack of things to do there........ :D

Hey Nidge,

There is a "Cycling in Isaan" thread running parallel to this, so I think I´ll switch my reply to there... if you don´t mind following me???........ :o

Lead on!

Perhaps it's because of people harping on about riding a bicycle in an average 90 degrees Faranheit temperature for 20 or 30k's.

Ok up to them if they enjoy it, but I'm guessing most people don't.

I think you (BFG) and the benevolant power drinkers in FC might agree with me here. And there is no need to hi-jack threads when they have a post of there own running in conjuction with this one.

Let's drink and be merry!

P.S. Have they enroled for the TV piss-up and will they be cycling back home in the morning??????? I very much doubt it. :o

John........

When I worked in Brunei, I ran with the Brunei Hash House Harriers.

(Actually that is not quite true. It would be nearer to say that I was a fifty-year-old stroller at the rear. I never let my hashname of Action Man give me unrealistic illusions.)

What I remember of that time is that there was a long-running, deeply philosophical debate as to what was the true purpose of the hash, and how that should order our priorities.

Were we drunks who ran, or runners who drank???

We were sufficiently sober citizens, however, to confine our drinking to the hours after we ran.

I would suggest that the blokes in Surin don't do their cycling after their drinking.

GreatGrandDad.

Perhaps it's because of people harping on about riding a bicycle in an average 90 degrees Faranheit temperature for 20 or 30k's.

Ok up to them if they enjoy it, but I'm guessing most people don't.

I think you (BFG) and the benevolant power drinkers in FC might agree with me here. And there is no need to hi-jack threads when they have a post of there own running in conjuction with this one.

Let's drink and be merry!

P.S. Have they enroled for the TV piss-up and will they be cycling back home in the morning??????? I very much doubt it. :D

John........

The idea of cycling is to get the muscles moving, the heart pumping, the blood flowing and generally sweat profusely............ :o and as for going 20 or 30 ks................. it´s hardly worth pulling on your cycling shorts for such a short distance!!!! It has to be 50 ks or bust............... and too hot???? Fiddlesticks............. you create your own breeze while cycling, which keeps you moderately cool.........it´s stopping for long breaks that make one hot and tired..................... :D And when the tour is over........how do you think a beer tastes THEN??????----- :D Anyone disagree????????????? :D