Would Like Thai Lessons At Home

withnail

I am interested in trying to improve my very poor Thai however I am very busy Monday to Friday so attending any of the recommended courses is not really an option. Also none of the schools are in my area. Does anyone know a reasonably priced private tutor that can travel. (I live on Phahonyothin Road near Major Rachayothin).

Also what are peoples opinions do you think a couple of hours once or twice a week is enough to make an improvement? Should I try learning the alphabet or stick to basic conversation?

I am in the same situation. Several people have suggested looking in the Bangkok Post. Maybe a little expensibve. Several schools on Sukhumvit soi 11, 15, 23, ect may have teachers in your area. You can also check with closest University since many students with trade english practise for Thai...but be selective. Some not so good. I've had some of my crasser friends suggest a "long haired dictionary" bar girl. Maybe a good idea since most speak some english...but the Thai you do learn may not be acceptable in many circles. Hey, maybe you can at least give an altyernative job to someone who needs it.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

One or two hours per week will hardly be sufficient for you to really improve, unless you do a minimum of four-five hours of homework per week in between classes.

Language requires practice, no matter if it is speaking, listening, reading, or writing.

You are the only one who can determine what your language needs are. Basic reading skills take about four-eight months to achieve if you really put your mind to it, and will probably aid your pronunciation if you learn from a Thai teacher.

Good luck!