American Style Fridge Freezer

jamesdlc

Any large appliance store will probably have some.....Big C does. Those big refers with the big freezers that get really cold do cost alot more than the smaller ones with the moderately cold freezers of course....and they also cost alot more to run as well.

I picked one up this week in Chiang Kham (Sintanee store) for 32K not sure the size I thought it said 26cuft but based on the last post I may be mistaken on that. So sure you can get one in the chaing Rai branch - near big C

While all the applicance stores offer free local shipping, I recommend avoiding BigC or Sinthanee, the latter being the most over-priced.

Your best bet is to shop in town. Try one of the appliance stores along the road that leads east from the Clock Tower (or south of there along Phahonyothin Rd or in that general area). I bought my modest Sharp SJ-22L (191 L, frost-free) from Thaweeyont Marketing (more or less right across the street from the The Golden Triangle Inn) for only 8000B delivered. It's been trouble free. Not sure of the name of the road, but here's a link to a good map of CR. Refer to the top of the callout (i.e. the highlighted blue rectangle) where it shows the Clock Tower, then CR Bookcenter, then The Golden Triangle Inn. That's the road I'm referring to. Thaweeyont had some deals on appliances when I was there, but their cameras, TVs, and electronic gear was full retail. Best to shop around elsewhere for these kinds of things.

Also, spend the extra money and get frost-free only. You don't want to be defrosting the thing constantly in this hot, humid environment or having to deal with food spoilage issues...

Daewoo and Sharp are good, reliable brands to go with. Avoid LG and some of the cheap, odd-named ones (you'll know which ones I'm talkin' about when you see them...)

Also, spend the extra money and get frost-free only. You don't want to be defrosting the thing constantly in this hot, humid environment or having to deal with food spoilage issues...

What do you think a "frost free" frig does- it defrosts it on some time table. I like defrosting myself when needed with a fan and a butter knife. I know you are not supposed to dig with a knife, but i am a pro at this. You catch the snow and ice at the right time and it goes to the sink, rather than the catch bucket in the rear, that can overflow and make a mess. :o

If you want to keep a lot of frozen foods you might want to consider by a stand alone freezer. Prizes are not too bad, and lots of storage space.

For a regular fridge definitely get a defrost model, otherwise you will be defrosting all the time due to the humidity here. You reach a point where your freezer capacity is reduced to almost nothing due to ice, and things get frozen in place.

If you want to keep a lot of frozen foods you might want to consider by a stand alone freezer. Prizes are not too bad, and lots of storage space.

For a regular fridge definitely get a defrost model, otherwise you will be defrosting all the time due to the humidity here. You reach a point where your freezer capacity is reduced to almost nothing due to ice, and things get frozen in place.

I bought the biggest Samsung they had 18 months ago from that place Thaweeyont Marketing. It has the freezer downstairs with drawers (when you open the freezer warm air only gets into the drawer you open) and fridge upstairs.

I never defrosted the thing so it is probably a defrost model (or my wife take cares of that?). Never any problem.

But I also have the old fridge for drinks, you know soda and Coke etc.

:o:D:D

I was considering upgrading to a larger fridge and checked out prices and features at Big C. I discovered that the "bigger" fridges have about the same space in the refrigerator section as the standard Thai sized models and the extra size is all freezer. Some of them did have a slightly larger refrigerator space but really not much larger. I did the calculations and it was way cheaper to just buy another standard sized fridge....and much cheaper to run two small units than one big one with freezer....the freezer consumes alot of electricity. This is fine for us since we don't keep ice cream or anything that needs to be really cold. If you need to keep alot of stuff really cold then the chest style (box on floor with lid opening on top) freezers are cheaper to buy and to run than the upright types. I guess the expensive combination units sacrifice economy for style mostly and some convenience.

Chownah

I guess the expensive combination units sacrifice economy for style mostly and some convenience.

Chownah

You are right there. It is a beautiful thing and tells me digitally that my icecream is happy in -7C and the milk in +16C.

:D:o:D