Chiangmai Vodka

Rinrada

On my last very brief visit I was given "presented"with a couple of bottles of (hootch) Vodka which were made in one of wifes mates factories in C.Mai.

Must admit I didnt know Thailand produced the stuff. :D

Anyway...Has anybody tried it ?.Genuine Chiangmai potato water...before I do...hic..hic in advancd :o:D

Could be any of a number of different spirits with rice as the base. Some are real firewater, others quite sweet & syrupy. Not my drink of choice but fine if you wish to get totally blasted and wake up wishing you could lose your head.

Chiangmai Vodka............

Suggestions for a new NAME...

Asked the wife last night to identify this stuff and it would appear to go under the name of "YA-DA"...not I may hasten to add "YA-BAA"

It dosnt look very inspiring or even well labelled unlike "SMIR-NOFF" or "STOLY-ICH-NOICHA" but recon with a little bit of imagination...who knows.

So if you were a Vodka producer in C.M....what would you call it lets say thinking about the export market.

Could be the next Cobra-Ice-Alco-pop sensation :o

Incid.made from rice not pots :D

Any good suggestions I will forward to wifes mate. :D

Anyway...Has anybody tried it ?.Genuine Chiangmai potato water...before I do...hic..hic in advancd :o:D

Although I don't believe I have found any potato based brew yet I have drank plenty of home brew (AKA lao paa, lao dong, lao khao, etc) around Chiang Mai and I can still see out of both eyes. Quality, as you might suspect, is highly variable. The best I've found is the Mong corn pone brewed Lil Abner style (Appalachian hillbilly style for you non-Yanks) out of 55 gallon drums for the Mong New Year celebrations in the winter.

But with the avilability of very cheap commercial lao khao in most village shops, often sold by the shot glass, fewer and fewer people are brewing anything other than for personal use small amounts of the "medicinal" lao dong where you often see various barks and other items at the bottom of the bottle. And of course the market in Mae Salong is still known for its variety of medicinal whiskies with both flora and fauna inside the bottles.