Honda Nsr 150 Rr Or Sp

chubbly

:o Can one of you bike experts please tell me what the difference is between the RR and the SP, with regards to everything, horsepower, size etc. Also cost, which could I expect to pay more for?

Also, if you had a choice of Honda NSR 150 SP, Honda NSR 150 RR, or Honda CBR 150 as a bike that you would be using for fun once or twice a week, what would you choose and why?

Finally how much would you expect to pay for a secondhand version of any or all of the bikes mentioned?

The SP model has a single sided swinging arm but apart from that I dont know much more about the differences.

If I was looking to buy 1 of the 3 models mentioned I think I'd go for the NSR150SP as it looks better than the RR and is the newer model so I believe. A CBR150 would make a better bike for everyday use as it has better low down power being a 4 stroke and it's engine will last longer between rebuilds but if you want something for fun then the NSR is hard to beat. I had a RR I used to use and I loved blasting around on the little thing. CBR's are boring in comparison.

The Sp is the later model and does have a better resale value. The SP also has a wider rear tire which I like. Both the RR and SP are 2 stroke so will go faster on take offs than the CBR. Thais prefer the CBR because of less maintenance and just because it's a 4 stroke. I like the 2 strokes because if it does blow a piston, the parts are cheaper. The biggest downside for the RR and the SP is the cost of the RC valve control computer box and the RC motor for it because they cost about 3000 baht each. I'm on my second RR but failed to catch that the RC motor was missing when I bought the bike. The bike won't run at high RPMs without it. For resale value, the CBR, for just fun and hitting 140k+ pretty quick, then go with the SP. The wider tire is a plus.

Costs:

RR 8-15K

SP 20-40k

CBR 25- 40k

Edited by SnakeBite

From my experience, the RR can be bought for peanuts (9,000B) in a shop, the SP (single swingarm) is put on the front for silly money (30,000B). Both are 2 strokes, as mentioned above, and these engines are being phased out of Thailand and the world. This is because when they're not running flat out, they pollute quite a bit more than 4 strokes. A CBR is the only thing you can buy new (of this ilk) and soon the 2 strokes will be gone, or in museums. Granted, you'll have more fun on an NSR, but more grief too. Just imagine having to push a bike through Bangkok (or wherever you are) through the afternoon heat, with a crash helmet trying to get it fixed. This thought might sway you to a 4 stroke.

As mentioned above the SP has a single sided swing arm (Pro Arm) and a larger rear wheel.The RR has twin rear swing arms.

The SP isnt a later bike as both the SP and RR were manufactured until production of both NSR models ceased.The NSR had a small redesign at the same time the SP was released.

Power output is the same on both the SP and RR.

Both NSRs are more fun than the CBR due to the high revving 2 stroke engine.IMO.

If Globeliner is reading this,he may be able to post a pic of his SP and RR to show the differences!:o

Thanks everyone, that gives me a pretty good idea, although it would be great to see some pictures if they are out there

"If Globeliner is reading this,he may be able to post a pic of his SP and RR to show the differences!"

Think at this point it seems the suggestion is to go with a SP, now just a matter of finding one?

Thanks again :o

There was some debate on the power output of the NSR150; 31 hp or 37 hp. Would it be the RR is 31 hp and the SP 37? Its a great bike, quite heavy, most of the parts are cheap (but some of the parts come Japan; like the fuel sensor in the tank, so not necessarily cheap to maintain). Overall a good thrills bike. They may still make them for export because you can get newish ones in Vietnam. Most of the parts that wear out are easily found (and cheap). I rebuild an RR some months back. cbr is probably more practical as a city bike.

As mentioned above the SP has a single sided swing arm (Pro Arm) and a larger rear wheel.The RR has twin rear swing arms.

The SP isnt a later bike as both the SP and RR were manufactured until production of both NSR models ceased.The NSR had a small redesign at the same time the SP was released.

Power output is the same on both the SP and RR.

Both NSRs are more fun than the CBR due to the high revving 2 stroke engine.IMO.

If Globeliner is reading this,he may be able to post a pic of his SP and RR to show the differences!:D

Hi, here're a couple of pics, in my opinion go for the 'sp' good looking bike and fast, the CBR 150 is sluggish to say the least, although Skylines' 16 arm RR might just beat a CBR 150 away from the lights, if the Thai blokes on his mobile at the time :o

This is the 'NSR RR 150'

17032006001.jpg

This is the 'NSR SP 150'

30052005001.jpg

Thanks everyone for posting, cheers Globeliner the pictures helped to. One quick question, the suggestion is that an RR is about 10-15,000 BHT, and an SP 20-40,000. So far having looked in Pattaya and Chonburi, all i've found are some fairly worn out RR's in the region of 30-38,000......are they seeing me coming or is this a more realistic price? Can't comment on the SP price range as i just can't find one. Any suggestions as to where i might find an SP?

Thanks everyone for posting, cheers Globeliner the pictures helped to. One quick question, the suggestion is that an RR is about 10-15,000 BHT, and an SP 20-40,000. So far having looked in Pattaya and Chonburi, all i've found are some fairly worn out RR's in the region of 30-38,000......are they seeing me coming or is this a more realistic price? Can't comment on the SP price range as i just can't find one. Any suggestions as to where i might find an SP?

Hi, SP's in good nick are very rare these days, also not many left for one reason or another, the one in the photo has been restored and is mechanically soild, the black RR is for sale if you are intrested, pm me if you want to take a look, i'm hanging on to the SP for the while, as a previous poster said, it could be a museum piece one day :o

Check the big Honda dealer in Bang Bua Thong (Non Tha Buri province) about an hour north of Bangkok. There are a couple of Sps and a few RRs there. All of these are in the price range I mentioned before but make sure to check them out. You should be able to hagle a bit on price.

Hi, globeliner

Have already PMed regarding your RR, but no reply so not sure if you got it. Are you sure you don't want to sell your SP? Think that's what i am going to look for. However, how much do you want for your RR, it's nice looking bike, i may be interested.

Thanks for the info Snakebite, will head up there this Sat and have a look

Thanks

Edited by chubbly

Hi there,

One big difference that has yet to be mentioned that might be important:

2-stroke needs to be kick started... the CBR is push-button start.

The OP mentioned only riding occasionally, and if the 2 stroke isn't used that much, it can take a bit more effort to start up. I have no idea to the OP's physical health, but I've got a bit of a gammy right knee and kick starting can be a pain....

..oh, and I'm a right lazy git too.

Hi there,

One big difference that has yet to be mentioned that might be important:

2-stroke needs to be kick started... the CBR is push-button start.

The OP mentioned only riding occasionally, and if the 2 stroke isn't used that much, it can take a bit more effort to start up. I have no idea to the OP's physical health, but I've got a bit of a gammy right knee and kick starting can be a pain....

..oh, and I'm a right lazy git too.

Thats very true, if you don't use on a regular basis the NSR's can be trouble to start, but they are fast, anyone want a wager on a race between a NSR vs CBR? Skyline?

Hi back again,

Sorry went awol there,

Looked at an NSR over the weekend, but it was shagged, wouldn't open up and let rip when pushed, so the hunt still continues. Apparently the problem is that they are all being rounded up and shipped to Aus. The garages here can buy them cheaply 20+ and then sell on in Aus for closer to 80+, which means whats left is the dregs. Anyway, have a few different people helping me source one at the moment so fingers crossed. Will let you know when i'm successful. Have definately decided on an NSR.

will keep you updated

• 2 weeks later...

There used to be loads of them on mocyc.com. Maybe you can wait till Songkran? Loads of people sell bikes before Songkran because they have no money to go home.

Here is an NSR 250; dont know much about them, but bet its an upped NSR 150? : http://www.mocyc.com/store/detail.php?id=172910

Oops, spoke too soon. Here is a nice one. Maybe I should not tell you and tell my girlfriend to go and buy it for me. : http://www.mocyc.com/store/detail.php?id=170099

Ooo, er: Another one in Repsol colours: http://www.mocyc.com/store/detail.php?id=169225

And another one; cheap but not beautiful: http://www.mocyc.com/store/detail.php?id=166148

I see alot of NSR150's in Bangkok. But the most common 150cc 2stroker is the Kawa KR. I think the KR is the bike to have for city riding; certainly better than the CBR 150. I have a Yamaha TZR150, and NSR150, now I need a KR :o

I could go on... Happy bike hunting :D

Edited by MaiChai

I need a RC control for a 150RR. Does anyone know where I can one of these used? Thanks

I might need one too; not sure mine is working. Try the motorbike shops in Sapan Kwai for a copy one. Thing about NSRs is that there are many minor versions. Normally its model number is NSR150E or something like that (A-Z being the minor revision number). I came across a manufacturer of these modules in Samut Prakan on the Internet but cannot for the life of me find it again. Have you tried a Honda dealer to see what the list price is?

Mai Chai, there are 2 different parts to the RC control, one is like a computer box and costs about 3000 baht new from what I've heard and then there is the mostly mechanical part of the control and that is also about 3000 baht. These are the prices that I've been quoted as being OEM and new. I made a sad mistake when I bought my latest 150RR as it didn't have the control portion. I really like these bikes as they are pretty quick for a small bike and most of the other parts are cheap as chips. Heck, you can put in a new piston, rings, rod, crank bearings and even the water pump in for about 4000 baht with labor included and at that price I even got the radiator reamed out.

I'm trying to find a used RC control now and that should be less than half the price of new. The only way that I check that it's working is to ride the bike and if it kicks in at about 6k RPM, you'll feel it take off. The bike shouldn't be sluggish at any RPM but when the RC valve kicks in, the bike will fly. My old one would get to 145 kph in no time and still had plenty left to spare. The mistake I made was that I just rode the bike in a parking lot and my "friend" said the bike was complete. My MISTAKE was to not take it apart to look at everything first.

Edited by SnakeBite

:o Can one of you bike experts please tell me what the difference is between the RR and the SP, with regards to everything, horsepower, size etc. Also cost, which could I expect to pay more for?

Also, if you had a choice of Honda NSR 150 SP, Honda NSR 150 RR, or Honda CBR 150 as a bike that you would be using for fun once or twice a week, what would you choose and why?

Finally how much would you expect to pay for a secondhand version of any or all of the bikes mentioned?

Sorry I'm a bit late on this. I used to have a 150R (great fun) and now have an NSR 300 which has two 150 barrels.

As someone has already said the CBR is more user friendly but a bit dull. If you want to ride aroound town a lot, are concerned about fuel economy, and don't want to be fussed with filling the oil tank (Shell Advance) every 1000kms go CBR. If on the otherhand you want to buzz around the back roads with a big grin on your face go for a NSR. Some how there is nothing like riding a 2-stroke when it comes on the pipe. Both NSR's will give similar performance but the SP will hold it's value longer and is sought after overseas, so resale .....Spares are still available for both.

HP-wise the SP may have the edge, my 150R was listed at 27hp (105mph), but there is a race kit available which will give 37-ish. I believe the NSR is slightly larger than the CBR with longer wheelbase so is more stable at speed.

Ask Matt at TYGA PERFOMANCE he will answer your questions and sell you some NSR bits, he has also tuned a CBR for Thai drag bike racing, if you prefer that route.

300 Mike

I need a RC control for a 150RR. Does anyone know where I can one of these used? Thanks

Do you need the PGM (control unit) unit or the servo that powers the cables?

They should be available at Honda. You will be surprised how little spare parts cost in Thailand.

300 Mike

I have the RC Valve thing on my Yamaha VRR150 and NSR150 (guess Yamaha and Kawasaki copied the Honda RC valve). With the Yamaha when you turn on the ignition it turns the RC valve motor on and off and you can see the cables to the valve being moved; like a power on self test/calibration. I dont see the same thing with my NSR and I did see some of the connectors to the RC control unit had burned out over the years and had been bypassed. So it makes me think the NSR RC valve is not working; however when I have hit 9000 rpm or so the power really kicks in amazingly so I am in two minds as to whether its working or not. Maybe someone can advise if the NSR does the RC valve motor tweaking when you turn on the ignition as it would give me an idea if its working?

Regarding pricing it; most reasonable sized Honda dealers can order parts in for you, or give you a price before going ahead. You probably need to know the NSR revision (should be in the green book; NSR150E or something like that). Then they will give you a parts/repair manual and you can point out the part you want to them. Then they will give you a price, and if you want it, they will order it in and you can normally collect it the next day (well Bangkok and surrounds). If its expensive, you may need to leave a deposit. To be honest, if you work abroad and earn good money, even the expensive parts are cheap by Western part price standards? So you might as well get you Thai speaking friend to come with you to the Honda dealer and find out how much it really is?

A couple of months ago I saw an abandoned NSR in a Chiang Mai bike shop on the web for 1500 baht; betime I got to call them it had gone. Think it went quickly but I was thinking of buying it for spares. I could not believe how cheap it was; obviously it was not mainstream enough for the shop to shift it and it had been gathering dust and deteriorating.

Anyone buy those bikes I pointed out :o

Edited by MaiChai

• 1 month later...
Anyone buy those bikes I pointed out :o

Not exactly, but this topic got me interested enough in the SP that I did go out and buy one :-)

I found it at a shop in Pattaya:

post-24051-1188817726_thumb.jpg

The bike is pretty much original and complete (even down to the owner's manual and tool kit). if a bit tired. It shows 31K on the clock and may be on the first set of piston and rings. The RC valve is there and moves when the throttle is cracked open in neutral, but the bike has no balls whatsoever on the top end, so I'm not sure whether it's because the piston and reed valve are fully shagged out or the RC valve just looks like it's working but isn't.

That valve, incidentally, is meant to give the bike more torque at the bottom end by blocking part of the exhaust port at lower revs and smaller throttle settings, then opening it up to full size at higher rpm.

My plan is to freshen things up mechanically first, ride it around a bit, and then work on the cosmetics.

Chubbly -- any luck yet?