BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
chubbly

Honda Nsr 150 Rr Or Sp

:o Can one of you bike experts please tell me what the difference is between the RR and the SP, with regards to everything, horsepower, size etc. Also cost, which could I expect to pay more for?

Also, if you had a choice of Honda NSR 150 SP, Honda NSR 150 RR, or Honda CBR 150 as a bike that you would be using for fun once or twice a week, what would you choose and why?

Finally how much would you expect to pay for a secondhand version of any or all of the bikes mentioned?

The SP model has a single sided swinging arm but apart from that I dont know much more about the differences.

If I was looking to buy 1 of the 3 models mentioned I think I'd go for the NSR150SP as it looks better than the RR and is the newer model so I believe. A CBR150 would make a better bike for everyday use as it has better low down power being a 4 stroke and it's engine will last longer between rebuilds but if you want something for fun then the NSR is hard to beat. I had a RR I used to use and I loved blasting around on the little thing. CBR's are boring in comparison.

The Sp is the later model and does have a better resale value. The SP also has a wider rear tire which I like. Both the RR and SP are 2 stroke so will go faster on take offs than the CBR. Thais prefer the CBR because of less maintenance and just because it's a 4 stroke. I like the 2 strokes because if it does blow a piston, the parts are cheaper. The biggest downside for the RR and the SP is the cost of the RC valve control computer box and the RC motor for it because they cost about 3000 baht each. I'm on my second RR but failed to catch that the RC motor was missing when I bought the bike. The bike won't run at high RPMs without it. For resale value, the CBR, for just fun and hitting 140k+ pretty quick, then go with the SP. The wider tire is a plus.

Costs:

RR 8-15K

SP 20-40k

CBR 25- 40k

Edited by SnakeBite

From my experience, the RR can be bought for peanuts (9,000B) in a shop, the SP (single swingarm) is put on the front for silly money (30,000B). Both are 2 strokes, as mentioned above, and these engines are being phased out of Thailand and the world. This is because when they're not running flat out, they pollute quite a bit more than 4 strokes. A CBR is the only thing you can buy new (of this ilk) and soon the 2 strokes will be gone, or in museums. Granted, you'll have more fun on an NSR, but more grief too. Just imagine having to push a bike through Bangkok (or wherever you are) through the afternoon heat, with a crash helmet trying to get it fixed. This thought might sway you to a 4 stroke.

As mentioned above the SP has a single sided swing arm (Pro Arm) and a larger rear wheel.The RR has twin rear swing arms.

The SP isnt a later bike as both the SP and RR were manufactured until production of both NSR models ceased.The NSR had a small redesign at the same time the SP was released.

Power output is the same on both the SP and RR.

Both NSRs are more fun than the CBR due to the high revving 2 stroke engine.IMO.

If Globeliner is reading this,he may be able to post a pic of his SP and RR to show the differences!:o

Thanks everyone, that gives me a pretty good idea, although it would be great to see some pictures if they are out there

"If Globeliner is reading this,he may be able to post a pic of his SP and RR to show the differences!"

Think at this point it seems the suggestion is to go with a SP, now just a matter of finding one?

Thanks again :o

There was some debate on the power output of the NSR150; 31 hp or 37 hp. Would it be the RR is 31 hp and the SP 37? Its a great bike, quite heavy, most of the parts are cheap (but some of the parts come Japan; like the fuel sensor in the tank, so not necessarily cheap to maintain). Overall a good thrills bike. They may still make them for export because you can get newish ones in Vietnam. Most of the parts that wear out are easily found (and cheap). I rebuild an RR some months back. cbr is probably more practical as a city bike.

As mentioned above the SP has a single sided swing arm (Pro Arm) and a larger rear wheel.The RR has twin rear swing arms.

The SP isnt a later bike as both the SP and RR were manufactured until production of both NSR models ceased.The NSR had a small redesign at the same time the SP was released.

Power output is the same on both the SP and RR.

Both NSRs are more fun than the CBR due to the high revving 2 stroke engine.IMO.

If Globeliner is reading this,he may be able to post a pic of his SP and RR to show the differences!:D

Hi, here're a couple of pics, in my opinion go for the 'sp' good looking bike and fast, the CBR 150 is sluggish to say the least, although Skylines' 16 arm RR might just beat a CBR 150 away from the lights, if the Thai blokes on his mobile at the time :o

This is the 'NSR RR 150'

17032006001.jpg

This is the 'NSR SP 150'

30052005001.jpg

Thanks everyone for posting, cheers Globeliner the pictures helped to. One quick question, the suggestion is that an RR is about 10-15,000 BHT, and an SP 20-40,000. So far having looked in Pattaya and Chonburi, all i've found are some fairly worn out RR's in the region of 30-38,000......are they seeing me coming or is this a more realistic price? Can't comment on the SP price range as i just can't find one. Any suggestions as to where i might find an SP?

Globeliner=bastardo!

I think Globeliner may be selling his NSRs due to the fact he rides like a drunk Ray Charles.

PM him if youre interested.

Thanks everyone for posting, cheers Globeliner the pictures helped to. One quick question, the suggestion is that an RR is about 10-15,000 BHT, and an SP 20-40,000. So far having looked in Pattaya and Chonburi, all i've found are some fairly worn out RR's in the region of 30-38,000......are they seeing me coming or is this a more realistic price? Can't comment on the SP price range as i just can't find one. Any suggestions as to where i might find an SP?

Hi, SP's in good nick are very rare these days, also not many left for one reason or another, the one in the photo has been restored and is mechanically soild, the black RR is for sale if you are intrested, pm me if you want to take a look, i'm hanging on to the SP for the while, as a previous poster said, it could be a museum piece one day :o

Check the big Honda dealer in Bang Bua Thong (Non Tha Buri province) about an hour north of Bangkok. There are a couple of Sps and a few RRs there. All of these are in the price range I mentioned before but make sure to check them out. You should be able to hagle a bit on price.

Hi, globeliner

Have already PMed regarding your RR, but no reply so not sure if you got it. Are you sure you don't want to sell your SP? Think that's what i am going to look for. However, how much do you want for your RR, it's nice looking bike, i may be interested.

Thanks for the info Snakebite, will head up there this Sat and have a look

Thanks

Edited by chubbly

Hi there,

One big difference that has yet to be mentioned that might be important:

2-stroke needs to be kick started... the CBR is push-button start.

The OP mentioned only riding occasionally, and if the 2 stroke isn't used that much, it can take a bit more effort to start up. I have no idea to the OP's physical health, but I've got a bit of a gammy right knee and kick starting can be a pain....

..oh, and I'm a right lazy git too.