Honda Nsr 150 Rr Or Sp

chubbly

Jingjing, I think you will find out that the resistor is bad in the RC motor. Honda doesn't sell just the resistor (they want you to buy the whole thing for 5100 baht) but I was lucky enough to have a friend that knew someone to fix mine. I should be getting it back next week.

I've got a CBR, so I'm biased. But unless you're a racer, I think the CBR is plenty fast & fun to drive. And it's more reliable. And it pollutes less. The downside is that it costs more up front. Judging from the initial question, the OP is not a hard core enthusiast. So I think the CBR would be a great choice. If it's really not fast enough for you, then after some time you can go for a 2 stroke or a bigger bike. My 2 cents.

• 1 month later...
How much did you pay for your SP?

I paid 15K plus tax and fees -- about 18K out the door.

As an update to the RC valve question, I just got around to doing some tinkering with my SP, pulling the tank and bodywork off to have a better look at the inner workings and discovered that one of the small hoses connecting to the carb body - some sort of emissions recirculation gizmo or such - had cracked and broken off with age. I snipped off the ragged bit on the end and reconnected it, put in a new spark plug, and voila! the bike runs like a tiger. All the shops I'd brought it to said the RC valve was working fine and it didn't need a piston yet.

Now I'm really glad I read this topic... the NSR is a slick little motorcycle, fun to ride and it's cool to look at besides. Due to the age of these bikes I would recommend that anyone considering purchasing one have a little bit of mechanical know-how or experience with wrenching because part of the fun is - as a buddy of mine likes to say - "rubbin' on it".

:o

By the way, as I wrote in the other topic, in a total coincidence just as I was bringing my bike up to Surin from Chonburi I stopped for some noodles and saw another NSR 150 SP for sale in front of the shop, cleaner than mine is, in Repsol colors -- I got the owner's number so if anybody's interested, send me a PM.

How much did you pay for your SP?

I paid 15K plus tax and fees -- about 18K out the door.

As an update to the RC valve question, I just got around to doing some tinkering with my SP, pulling the tank and bodywork off to have a better look at the inner workings and discovered that one of the small hoses connecting to the carb body - some sort of emissions recirculation gizmo or such - had cracked and broken off with age. I snipped off the ragged bit on the end and reconnected it, put in a new spark plug, and voila! the bike runs like a tiger. All the shops I'd brought it to said the RC valve was working fine and it didn't need a piston yet.

Now I'm really glad I read this topic... the NSR is a slick little motorcycle, fun to ride and it's cool to look at besides. Due to the age of these bikes I would recommend that anyone considering purchasing one have a little bit of mechanical know-how or experience with wrenching because part of the fun is - as a buddy of mine likes to say - "rubbin' on it".

:o

By the way, as I wrote in the other topic, in a total coincidence just as I was bringing my bike up to Surin from Chonburi I stopped for some noodles and saw another NSR 150 SP for sale in front of the shop, cleaner than mine is, in Repsol colors -- I got the owner's number so if anybody's interested, send me a PM.

Is the NSR 150 made anymore ? I've seen one for sale near my place which, according to the wife , is new. She was babbling on about it being 60 K...does that sound about right ?

CBR Every time for me!

Agree with Das, I am a CBR owner so of course theres bias but I think unless you're an absolute speed junky out then the CBRs speed and acceleration is more than enough, I nearly 'back flipped' mine by accident at the lights once trying to pull away! . For me top end speed is where it counts.

It's also a capable long distance machine (4 Stroke always wins out on economy) and is comfortable too.

I disagree that the CBR is dull, it certainly impresses most of the thais (even other NSR owners) when I'm out drinking.:o

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry I'm a bit late on this. I used to have a 150R (great fun) and now have an NSR 300 which has two 150 barrels.

As someone has already said the CBR is more user friendly but a bit dull. If you want to ride aroound town a lot, are concerned about fuel economy, and don't want to be fussed with filling the oil tank (Shell Advance) every 1000kms go CBR. If on the otherhand you want to buzz around the back roads with a big grin on your face go for a NSR. Some how there is nothing like riding a 2-stroke when it comes on the pipe. Both NSR's will give similar performance but the SP will hold it's value longer and is sought after overseas, so resale .....Spares are still available for both.

HP-wise the SP may have the edge, my 150R was listed at 27hp (105mph), but there is a race kit available which will give 37-ish. I believe the NSR is slightly larger than the CBR with longer wheelbase so is more stable at speed.

Ask Matt at TYGA PERFOMANCE he will answer your questions and sell you some NSR bits, he has also tuned a CBR for Thai drag bike racing, if you prefer that route.

300 Mike

Hi Mike,

That NSR 300 sounds like fun, where do you use that ??. You mentioned a guy called Matt from TYGA, where are they based ? ( ilive in Patts ) and do they have a contact no. From their website they don't really give out any personnel info.

i'm looking for a few odds and ends for my RVF,

cheers

dec

Edited by deckx

• 1 month later...

CBR Every time for me!

Agree with Das, I am a CBR owner so of course theres bias but I think unless you're an absolute speed junky out then the CBRs speed and acceleration is more than enough, I nearly 'back flipped' mine by accident at the lights once trying to pull away! . For me top end speed is where it counts.

It's also a capable long distance machine (4 Stroke always wins out on economy) and is comfortable too.

I disagree that the CBR is dull, it certainly impresses most of the thais (even other NSR owners) when I'm out drinking. :o

As a fellow CBR owner, I have to also agree. The NSR has too many downsides. However, if it is accelaration and top speed that are most important then or course, you have to go with the NSR.

For me, if I want a quicker bike in the future, I would get a bigger bike (250cc or more). Unless you're on a tight budget I don't see why you'd get such a small bike if your primary concern is speed/accelaration.

Edited by Chris78

• 9 months later...
I need a RC control for a 150RR. Does anyone know where I can one of these used? Thanks

So I picked an SP up a few weeks ago, fairly decent condition, but it has rock hard IRC rubber on it. Just got back from Red Baron, and they did not have any decent rubber in the proper sizes, neither did they give me any indication of a shop that might have either Dunlop or Bridgestone rolling stock :o

Anyone know of a shop activly working with these machines in or around BKK / Hua Hin?

Thanks much

Tom

I got told by Paul at Tyga performance they cant sell anything in Thailand. because i was interested in an exhaust muffler they have.

allan

I saw that on the other forum. What's up with it though? Is it so they don't have to pay VAT, or what?

I got told by Paul at Tyga performance they cant sell anything in Thailand. because i was interested in an exhaust muffler they have.

allan

I saw that on the other forum. What's up with it though? Is it so they don't have to pay VAT, or what?

I had this problem too, they told me it was do to concerns about being copied. When i bought their 211v kit i had to ship it to my military base and carry it to thailand. Even when they knew my bike was in thailand! and that i would be bringing it with me. Which i think irritated them. But unless its a replacement part your going to have to go through Jap4 for their stuff..and pay tax on it.

I had this problem too, they told me it was do to concerns about being copied. When i bought their 211v kit i had to ship it to my military base and carry it to thailand. Even when they knew my bike was in thailand! and that i would be bringing it with me. Which i think irritated them. But unless its a replacement part your going to have to go through Jap4 for their stuff..and pay tax on it.

I kinda understand about the copy issue, I mean it is SE Asia. However, I've seen several of their kits rolling around, and in the forum I had referred to, there was another post that was quite emphatic as to their stance about someone copying their kit. It is my understanding though that most of what they engineered was the nose and the tail. Perhaps the upper half of the front fairing also, but I can't state with certainty.

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what's Jap4? I don't mind paying the taxes, the whole render unto Caesar thing doesn't bother me, but I was alluding to the fact that I thought perhaps the reason they didn't sell in Thailand was due to taxes that they'd have to pay...or something.

I kinda understand about the copy issue, I mean it is SE Asia. However, I've seen several of their kits rolling around, and in the forum I had referred to, there was another post that was quite emphatic as to their stance about someone copying their kit. It is my understanding though that most of what they engineered was the nose and the tail. Perhaps the upper half of the front fairing also, but I can't state with certainty.

Sorry to sound ignorant, but what's Jap4? I don't mind paying the taxes, the whole render unto Caesar thing doesn't bother me, but I was alluding to the fact that I thought perhaps the reason they didn't sell in Thailand was due to taxes that they'd have to pay...or something.

www.jap4performance.com They sell all kinds of good stuff adn Gavin is a good guy.

• 1 month later...
xr399 you want michelin sportys i got these on my cbr150 or bridgestone bt39ss

number 02223789 he speaks english but is always busy so might get engaged tone alot.

allan

Hi ThaiCBR

I got a front Bridgestone BT39 SS in BKK (right downtown) but the rear is back ordered :D I think they will be sticky enough, as all the scooter class and 125's that I saw at the MotoGP in Sepang a couple of weeks back were running this tire :D . Hope they are not real race tires that have to be brought up to temperature before they really start to grab, but suspect they will be OK, as one site I was reading mentioned that the have added silicon to improve wet weather traction. I have used Battlax rubber on my liter bikes I had back in Canada (VTR1000 & Ducati Multistrada 1000 DS) and have been very happy with the all around performance of them.

My NSR has 28,000 km, and I am not sure if the original piston / rings are still in there. Guess since I have it mostly apart anyway, might as well pull the top end and at least de-carbon it all. I think a piston and rings are very cheap, so I'll probably deglaze the cyl. and pop in a new one just so I know all is well. Sure would like a race spec pipe though, there are a few Kawasaki SSR 150's with aftermarket pipes running around Hua Hin, and they sure sound crisp. Got to try to catch one of these guys and ask where he got the parts... the Click workhorse hasn't got enough poop to catch them..... :o

Thanks for the info...

Cheers

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the info Snakebite. I have a NS150E 1994

A few months ago my RC valve bust. I think the electronic unit is the thing that busts. mine might need a new servo too. I know a guy here (Ratchaburi-100km from BKK) who owns a motorcycle scrap yard, where bikes that have crashed get stashed, about 100 crashed and totaled bikes stashed there. I went there tonight because the 2 mechanics i have asked to get me an RC valve system could not find one. Nice to know i can buy a new one from Honda, albeit at 5500THB-eish! This second hand one i'm getting from the scrap yard might be OK for a while although these RC's are known to short out over time.

At the moment I have my cylinder re-bored to 175cc (number 4 head) and a bigger carburettor. The last mechanic who tried to (unsuccessfully) fit an RC valve couldn't do it right after three tries and then he just used some wire on the servo to set it at half open and half closed. Now it has half a power band and starts half as easily as it should. i gotta get me an RC valve.

Even without an RC, my bike cruises comfortably (below 9000rpm) at 140 km/h and goes to 12k rpm.

All the seals and bearings have been changed and the fuel intake has been bored larger. The future of my bike is feeling good. When i get this RC business done with then it's time to get an after-market exhaust belly. I have been reading all about TYGA and brands such as Dog Fighter and Arrow crop up. But in truth, in Thailand, the drag racing after market two stroke of choice is DBS. That will add a handful of horsepower to my bike. To think that now, without an RC valve, my bike goes 170, then i get another handful of RC horses then another handful of DBS exhaust horses. Holy shit! And some of these guys on this blog are raving about CBR150R's

Pah! at 15-18 horsepower those things are no match for a 30 HP stock NSR 150 SP. (they are actually touted by Honda as 39HP but I don't believe it because I saw dyno runs online at much less.) My NS150E will go beyond 30HP after 5000THB well spent. Those CBR150R's do look great though. seriously, i am buying one for my girlfriend. Fuel economy really sucks with my NS too, but will be a bit better after the RC valve (without which my bike is emitting too much unused fuel)

CBR's look nice but even a cbr250r would have troubles with an NSR150 with an after-market exhaust-oh, and an RC valve that works. Yes, i am not kidding, even those fancy new 130 000THB CBR250R's will not beat a well tuned NSR150.

Jingjing, I think you will find out that the resistor is bad in the RC motor. Honda doesn't sell just the resistor (they want you to buy the whole thing for 5100 baht) but I was lucky enough to have a friend that knew someone to fix mine. I should be getting it back next week.

Hey my first career was electronics. I am sure a resistor is easy to change. Quite a dab hand at soldering. Must be a low ohm to burn out? I heard the motors burn out? You can take them apart; they look like a wall clock mechanism inside. Probably worth servicing them from time to time as I am sure they get clogged with dust/soot. Must open mine up sometime and take a look;if its clogged up its only a matter of time before it burns out so worth giving it a clean out/relube?

mocyc.com occasionally has the RC motors for sale. You might want to put an ad up requesting a motor; I am sure someone will have one.

You do know the last post on this thread was 2008 ;)