BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
bruceboy

Worried Parent

I actually think any Native English speaking tuition is better than none, my wife retook her high school equivelant here recently and showed me her English Language test she had only got 75% or so on (Thai Teacher).

My wifes answers were 100% correct, the teacher had got 1/4 of the answers wrong and marked the exam incorrectly, it wasn't even the hardest questions she had marked up incorrectly.

However, I think that if foreign teachers are employed, they should have the right qualifications.

The biggest point I want to make though, regarding childrens education is that far too many people rely on the school for this 100%. As much education should take place at home IMO as at school, especially in the earlier years. Bringing up a child that enjoys learning, has fun reading a book etc... is as important as school selection or teacher quality.

Canada,

I work at a couple of the top Unis. I've noticed that the best students often come from little country schools and were motivated at a young age by a teacher that made language fun.

Such teachers helped them to get an academic direction that has led to great job choices, so keep up the good work.

Don't be too hard on the Thai teachers. Most of them try their best and do want to help the kids, but went through a poor education system themselves.

Thanks, jasreeve, for reminding us not to be too hard on the Thai teachers. I spent my evening tonight with lots of English teachers: one well educated and experienced Thai ajarn, a less educated Thai ajarn, an American and an English professional, and two more of us struggling TEFLers . All of us have spent years in Thailand doing the best we could with what we've learned, under impossible circumstances. We told our war stories and noted the progress our students have made. Mixed results, but some limited progress.

Thailand will never (in the next decade or two) be fully staffed with Thai or farang teachers of English who are extremely well educated, dedicated, effective, etc. Get the best school you can afford, but don't assume that money buys excellence. As Ben@3 indicated, parents should not expect miracles from schools. Teach your child.