"teacher Photos" And Facial Hair

Hello,

My sig. other and I recently accepted jobs teaching in Nakhon Sri Thammarat province. We were told that for our work permits and 'teacher books' we are required to have professional-looking photographs taken. I was instructed that I could not wear any makeup or jewelry, and had to have my hair tied back. My boyfriend was instructed that he must wear a shirt and tie. We each paid 350B for the photos, and assumed that was taken care of.

3 weeks later, we are now being told that my boyfriend's photos are "unacceptable" by the Thai government as he has a goatee, and in the photo must be clean-shaven. Now, it's a small well-groomed goatee. He's 30 years old and looks completely professional. Our school has also hired dozens of foreigners before and, if this is the case, we think they should have known.

It sounds like he'll have to pay for new photos and pay some sort of 400B fee for having the previous photos rejected.

Can anyone confirm if this is the way things are?

Thanks.

u got ripped off, a dozen photos only cost 120 in bangkok, and thats with the professional looking suit and tie, its common sense to shave and be clean-cut in photos(Although with photoshop that can easily be undone), you shoud have known better, dont pay them jack, do it yourself at a shop then give it to them, thats the old fashion way, dont let anyone assume there gonna take care of you in thailand cause that will most like back-fire at you. goodluck

"unacceptable" by the Thai government as he has a goatee, and in the photo must be clean-shaven.

Utter nonsense. I've had no problems working for the past 6-years here and, yes, I have a goatee as well. It's more of an issue with the schools own policy, not a government policy or a matter of being unacceptable. Personally, I wouldn't consider such a school to teach in. Typically, these type of schools also believe that they own you from the start and can make your life a total hel_l; they've already lied to you once, what makes you think they won't do it again? With a shortage of teachers in Thailand, you'd be better shopping around.

Hello,

My sig. other and I recently accepted jobs teaching in Nakhon Sri Thammarat province. We were told that for our work permits and 'teacher books' we are required to have professional-looking photographs taken. I was instructed that I could not wear any makeup or jewelry, and had to have my hair tied back. My boyfriend was instructed that he must wear a shirt and tie. We each paid 350B for the photos, and assumed that was taken care of.

3 weeks later, we are now being told that my boyfriend's photos are "unacceptable" by the Thai government as he has a goatee, and in the photo must be clean-shaven. Now, it's a small well-groomed goatee. He's 30 years old and looks completely professional. Our school has also hired dozens of foreigners before and, if this is the case, we think they should have known.

It sounds like he'll have to pay for new photos and pay some sort of 400B fee for having the previous photos rejected.

Can anyone confirm if this is the way things are?

Thanks.

Regarding facial hair, your own common sense should tell you to shave it off, regardless of what any school might say.

Think of your students not your own male ( or female ) vanity.

When Thai students are trying to learn English they watch every facial expression you use. They do not want to watch any silly tufts of hair bobbing about all over the place. " Completely professional " ? Perhaps for working in a Bank or

Mc Donalds, but NOT in a school where every inch of you is under scrutiny by Thai students trying to understand English, and FULL facial expressions are very important for the students.

I think before you start teaching you should learn a little bit about Thai students, and what THEY find acceptable. :o