Looking For Ideas

JBL

Hi Guys thanks for having a forum on Issan and supporting it with advice and good information, as this is my 1st post I should introduce myself.

I am a farung or as I am called at home in Kuhkahn (Sisaket) Brungg and no possible way that I have been able to change this name to "Bill" as in the eyes of my extended family and the locals I am Brungg.

But for the basics I am Bill and my wife is Pranee we reside and work in Geelong, Australia for the majority of the year and then travel home to Kuhkahn to spend time with family.

Usually our travels involve time in Ubon Ratchathani visiting a sister and then after Kuhkahn (Sisaket) we spend time with a son in Phi Mai (Korat) before going back to Bangkok to see other family members and then return to AUS.

We have traveled between these various places by Plane, Train & Bus but are looking for more and hoping for the freedom to get lost and find something new we haven't seen as busses and trains can be limiting in the travel experience. So in a perfect world we would fly to Ubon Ratchathani hire a car and spend a few days poking around and then move on to Sisaket and do the same all the way back to Korat and then some.

Budget offer this possibility but at about 3 times the price of some of the hire companies in Bangkok.

So we are looking for suggestions and opinions on car hire for about 3 weeks and what to see and do across this section of Issan. We are arriving in BKK on the 26th of September and have made no firm plans after that point, it will be the fist time I have been back at this time of the year as usually its March to June (dry) and I know we run the risk of being stuck in the wet

We don't need great accommodations but its nice if things are sort of clean.

We don't have problems with Issan food and really miss it when we are here in Australia

I don't mind bumping into and spending time with expats but I prefer not to be a burden

I like to be away from the mainstream tourist haunts as the last thing I want overhear is complaints about not being able to get a Western breakfast

Thanks for reading my long first post and look forward to reading your suggestions

Kind Regards

JBL

(Bill)

Bill just get your wife to phone Bell in Geelong, she will give you the number for the car rental at Ubon airport and any other info about that area of Issan JIM

thanks Jim I had thought of comming to you guys for information and intended to find out if you were in country before our next trip - would love to catch up soon as work has slowed down a bit if you are around, Pranee will call Bell soon

Regards

Bill

Hi,

whenever I need a car in both Ubon and Sisaket, I ask at the railway stations (well, Ubon is a bit out of the way, maybe try PoKoSo instead?). You get good deals, the drivers are fun and know all the good places (like which village happens to have a rocket festival coming up etc.). The rates I get are between 1,000 (Sisaket) and 1,200 (Ubon) THB per day and I also pay for fuel. Take some CDs or tapes with you, because those drivers just LOVE to listen to a somewhat different beat.

Good luck

Hi

Khao Phra Vihan is a "must see" in this part of Thailand. (actually just inside Cambodia)

Nice accomodation with good food nearby.

Trond

Hi there.....................Yes, as Jaye says, just click on the link, and I think you'll find everything you want. We are located at the back of Surin bus station. Maybe see you in the future. Cheers.

thanx for the replys & links I have been to Surin on more thana few occasions but only stopped at the bus station for 10 or 15mins in transit, maybe this trip will give me the chance to see more of this area and even visit farangconnection and see some of your famous sleepers

Hi

Khao Phra Vihan is a "must see" in this part of Thailand. (actually just inside Cambodia)

Trond

Lovely place I agreee when I was there 7 or 8 years ago there was a crashed hellicopter slowly getting stripped for scrap

Hi

Trond

Lovely place I agreee when I was there 7 or 8 years ago there was a crashed hellicopter slowly getting stripped for scrap

Last time i was there was about 9 years ago,it was nice to see the helicopter, made a feature of the place and history what actually happened in this part of the world, also all the old bomb holes etc, are the old guns and shells still there?, got some nice pics on my site, www.gandajones.co.uk