What's On On July In Chiang Rai

wileycoyote

I know that there is a photography workshop taking place at Alliance Francaise.

It starts on the 5th at 10am and last 5 days. It's done by a French professional and the focus is on "doing a documentary"

I don't know more than that, but it could be of some interest to some of us...

I know that there is a photography workshop taking place at Alliance Francaise.

It starts on the 5th at 10am and last 5 days. It's done by a French professional and the focus is on "doing a documentary"

I don't know more than that, but it could be of some interest to some of us...

Thanks gerry ,I will follow it up

Cheers

:o Wiley Coyote

There is a traditional thing in Mae Fah Luang Garden (the one in Chiang Rai, close to Country Homes) 18th of July.

What I understand it is free entre. Beautiful place and it will be a lot of people there.

Check the Photo exhibition with photos taken by farangs.

:o:D:D

There is a traditional thing in Mae Fah Luang Garden (the one in Chiang Rai, close to Country Homes) 18th of July.

What I understand it is free entre. Beautiful place and it will be a lot of people there.

:D:D:D

Dear Svenivan,

Thank you ,we will go Mae Fah Luang Gardens.

Cheers

:o Wiley Coyote

:o:D:D

Is this the place almost opposite the entrnce 'gateway' thattakes you in a furlong or so to country homes? What is it - at normal times? Would someone tell me why it might be worth a visit? (I don't know CR well but will be moving there).

Is this the place almost opposite the entrnce 'gateway' thattakes you in a furlong or so to country homes? What is it - at normal times? Would someone tell me why it might be worth a visit? (I don't know CR well but will be moving there).

A furlong? <deleted> is a furlong, wasn't it some thing horses used to run. Actually vague memories of my Imperial measures system education recall it was so many chains. Or was it bushels? :o

Edited by sceadugenga

A furlong? <deleted> is a furlong, wasn't it some thing horses used to run. Actually vague memories of my Imperial measures system education recall it was so many chains. Or was it bushels? :o

Furlong

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

1 furlong = International units

201.168 m 0.201 km

201.168×103 mm 2.012×1012 Å

1.345×10−9 AU 21.263×10−15 ly

US customary / Imperial units

7920 in 660 ft

220 yd 0.125 mi

A furlong is a measure of distance within imperial units and U.S. customary units, and is equal to 660 feet or one-eighth of a mile. In metric units, this is 201.168 metres.

Distances for thoroughbred horse races in the United Kingdom, Ireland and the United States are still given in miles and furlongs (example), but the unit is otherwise no longer in common use. It is heavily used within the rail industry (especially maintenance and repair services) in the UK, due to the legacy measurements and distance markers from when the tracks were first laid down.

Test on 'furlong' at end of month. Fail and you can't enter "Bedlam" (whatever that is - award for 500 posts?)

MaeFaLuang Cultural Park and gardens is supposed to be a kind of museum but lacks explicatory (hey, another word to look up!) plackards, for the most part, costs a lot to enter, and seems pretty firmly oriented to just the Hi-So (is that in Wikipaedia? How about Loso?)

'Cuse me, yesterday I posted wrong. Really, I can't read across-road banners in Thai while driving under them

(and Wiki was of no use...)

but now I've got the dope (uh-oh)

Four Regions trade fair at the MaeFaLuang Park by the bridge to NamLat (west of Dusit Island).

started last night, ends Sunday night.

enjoy! sure to be beer for those who need that.

and remember - smoking around food is no longer acceptable, even in lenient Siam (or Lanna, fantasy-land, or wherever we are).

Seem to have caused a kafuffle (what's the spelling? just trying to be informal) over using a furlong as an estimate of distance - quite unwitting I assure everyone. I can barely follow all the arithmetic definitions that have been unearthed. In my school days - arithmetics class - it was simply a case of knowing that there were 8 furlongs in a mile. It appears that fact makes me an old relic....

But the answer to my actual question about the park is ......"some kind of museum". Though otherwize, Barlowe's reply is amusing enough. Can anyone else tell me more about the park please?

Just trying to educate myself about my future home town's recreation possibilities.

But the answer to my actual question about the park is ......"some kind of museum". Though otherwize, Barlowe's reply is amusing enough. Can anyone else tell me more about the park please?

Joel Barlows answer is not only funny, but to the point as well.

The park and museum are until now quite 'hiso'. Entrance fee 200 Baht for foreigners and 150 Baht for Thai citizens.

Twenty years ago it were rice fields with a couple of trees in it. The land was acquired with support of Mae Fah Luang, HRH the Princess Mother (see the thread about the memorial ceremony of Mae Fah Luang the 18th this month). Originally to house talented but underpriviliged children from the mountains, who were given the possibility to go to schools in Chiang Rai.

With HRH the Princess Mother, Acharn Nakorn Pongnoi, the founder and director, shared a passionate love for trees and flowers and slowly he turned the land into a beautiful park

He is an artist. Where painters use brushes and colors, he used shuffles and spades.

In the museum the Royal Collection of Lanna art is housed. Collected by the Mae Fah Luang Foundation, under Royal Patronage, it is the finest representation of religious and secular art and artifacts in Thailand.

Though directing itself to a general public, the RMFL is closely connected to the community in which it is situated, in particular Ban Pa Ngiew and Ban Mae Poun Luang, with which it has strong historical ties.

It is the objective of Rai Mae Fah Luang to preserve the northern Thai culture, in close interaction with the communities that constitute its cultural base, traditions and values.

Aside from the fact that the RMFL is a museum in the sense that it is responsible for a collection and its presentation, it also aims to preserve the ‘living culture’, the non-tangible aspects of culture as they manifest themselves in ceremonies, rituals and similar social activities in a society.

The historical buildings of the RMFL, among which the Haw Kham Luang is the most prominent one, contribute to conserving the basic elements of Northern Thai architecture of which the greatest local testimony was destroyed during the big fire that struck the town Chiang Rai in 1949.

At the moment there is a temporary exhibition that enables you to see how brilliant Svenivan, Goski, Erg, Limbo, Vronnie, Neung and 12 other foreigners are when it concerns representing their view on Chiang Rai by pictures :D

Limbo :o

Edited by Limbo

I'm blushing :D

But it also reminds me I'll go to RMFL soon to indulge the essence of hiso and my own ego! :D

Don't forget:

All the partipants (among which five members of this forum) have free entrance to the Rai as long as the exhibition is on show and are also allowed three free tickets for guests. If problems, phone me.

I will go and check the exhibit tomorrow again (some problems with the 'new' hanging substance).

Regards,

Limbo :o

Well thank you Limbo. Yes JoelBarlowe was very amusing, and accurate enough about the place - but hardly very informative. You've given me more than I need for an introduction. Unfortunately I can't get there now for the exhibition or otherwize until I get back to Thailand next month.

Well thank you Limbo. Yes JoelBarlowe was very amusing, and accurate enough about the place - but hardly very informative. You've given me more than I need for an introduction. Unfortunately I can't get there now for the exhibition or otherwize until I get back to Thailand next month.

so slooy :o

see www.chiangraiporvince.com/guide museum section

so slooy :o

see www.chiangraiporvince.com/guide museum section

nothing like blowing your own trumpet then, eh!

Lotus eater; that remark may not have been meant for you.

Anywho, I'm not sure if I'd recommend someone blow their own trumpet,

but that's a horn of a different color.

Lest I digress further, the actual definition of 'furlong'

is "a falang that doesn't shave".

Put that in your horn and smoke it... this July in Chiang Rai.