Yellow Tabien Bahn Process

seykota

Yeah, I also got the impression that we could wait. There was an interruption of over 10 minutes during our interview where a Thai walked up and handed her some documents. They were not simple and were sorted immediately anyway.

TIT!

I'll let you know when I get another update.

Enjoy!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8. A week later I called and was told it would be done in about a month, and "We'll call you."!

Maybe you should use the more expensive "Express Service" LOL

Now that you mention it no money has changed hands or been mentioned. maybe they'll hold it up until money appears!?

:D

:o is all I have used so far, but I see no rush...

8. A week later I called and was told it would be done in about a month, and "We'll call you."!

Maybe you should use the more expensive "Express Service" LOL

Now that you mention it no money has changed hands or been mentioned. maybe they'll hold it up until money appears!?

:D

:o is all I have used so far, but I see no rush...

Mine took about a month to process,no fee but we were told that to show our appreciation ,lunch for the big boss and the office supervisor would be a nice gesture,so we obligingly took them to lunch at the local Vietnamese Cafe.

By the way a mate in Udon was issued a Siam Bank credit card on the strength of having a "yellow book ".

My yellow book experience in Udon, so far...

7. Originally had been told the book would be ready in a week, but am now told "We'll call you."

I guess as always, ymmv and TIT! :o

Kwarium,

I was told the same thing, ready in a week. It's been almost 4 weeks and still haven't received mine. The wife was up there yesterday to inquire about it. She was told that it was approved but not processed due to other priorities.

Following up on mine. Picked it up today after about 5 weeks, no fee, no tea money.

Rito

• 2 weeks later...

Yellow Tabien Bahn.

I have heard farengs got the blue Tabien Bahn before but for some 10 or 15 years ago the cover was changed to yellow for farangs. Because there is a different! You can't get a Thai pasport or Thai ID-card and you can't vote to district and goverment elections or buy land.

But you can buy a house in your name and the law protect a house on leased land. You can buy cars, motorbikes and get a bank account with credit card in your name. You can get your landline telephone and internet in your name.

It's easy to get a Thai driver licence. A Thai driver licence is good as an ID-card.

You don't need to chance your Tabian Bahn even you are moving to another town. I did it when I moved in a new house but it's the same Amphur and Thetsabahn did it in 10 minutes. In my new Yellow Tabien Bahn is my new address but also my old address and no need to change my driver license for car and motorbike.

Other informations in this topic are correct. If it takes some time (weeks) I pressume Thetsabahn has a lot of paper work.

• 2 weeks later...
Yellow Tabien Bahn.

...But you can buy a house in your name and the law protect a house on leased land. You can buy cars, motorbikes and get a bank account with credit card in your name. You can get your landline telephone and internet in your name.

It's easy to get a Thai driver licence...

Hmm, had all those long before appling for the tabian bahn (yellow book). I'm still not clear what document would confirm I actually own the house. If it is indeed the yellow book I wonder why weren't any financial documents or receipts required? Wife has tabian bahn on the same house and of course it is her land!

BTW- Mine took 3 weeks, but the landowner needs to sign to pick it up and she won't be in town before October. They never did call to say it was ready.

TIT

:o

Yellow Tabien Bahn.

...But you can buy a house in your name and the law protect a house on leased land. You can buy cars, motorbikes and get a bank account with credit card in your name. You can get your landline telephone and internet in your name.

It's easy to get a Thai driver licence...

Hmm, had all those long before appling for the tabian bahn (yellow book). I'm still not clear what document would confirm I actually own the house. If it is indeed the yellow book I wonder why weren't any financial documents or receipts required? Wife has tabian bahn on the same house and of course it is her land!

BTW- Mine took 3 weeks, but the landowner needs to sign to pick it up and she won't be in town before October. They never did call to say it was ready.

TIT

:o

When you get the 'Yellow Tabien Bahn' it does NOT automatically makes you to the owner of your house! It's only saying that your wife has accepted to enter you in her blue tabian bahn and you got the proof as you receive a yellow tabian bahn...Thetsabahn don't know about your investments in Thailand! Thetsabahn is the big boss of the so called "District Office" and register birth, weddings, address books, ID-cards. Most married persons know this office.

Now you have to start to visit all the offices involved to show your financial documents! I don't know anything about your (your wife's!) house! Did you buy it cash or monthly payment? Are banks or a housing company involved? You must find out. If the land is owned by your wife she must be the landlord... Something don't fit here...!

To take a simple case e.g. if you want your car back in your name...

Your wife/girlfriend must:

Sign a form that she has sold her car to you.

Make a copy of her ID-card and sign it (Blue ball pen).

Hand over the "Tabian Rot" car register book to you.

(Not many thai ladies like to do that...)

You must visit the "Land of Transport Office":

You must hand over all the documentations plus

a signed copy of your Tabian Bahn.

A little comment about your last remark.

How you know? Maybe they called the landowner but she won't be in town before October...!

I know another case where the cell phone had been stolen!

What about your embassies? I know some thai ladies were invited to Canada, USA and Australia by their boyfriends. They had to go to Bangkok many times and just turned down because the embassies want more documentation. The boyfriend had to take a trip to Bangkok to clear all and get the visa.

• 2 months later...

I went to the Amphor Office to day and got my Yellow Tabien Baan.

The paperwork took about an hour, and the wife, mother in law and Poo Yai Baan had to be present to sign some papers.

What I took with me.

• Copy of passport (inc Visa)
  • Copy of Thai driving license (Motorbike and car)
  • Copy of the house Tabien Baan (blue)
  • Copy of Mother in Law's Tabien Baan
  • Copy of Poo Yai Baan's Tabien Baan
  • Copy of wife's ID card
  • Copy of mother in law's ID card
  • Copy of Poo Yai Baan's ID card
  • Copy of marriage certificate
  • 6 passport size photos
  • 2 postcard sized photos (should show the full body including legs)

After the paperwork was finished I had to return after lunch and pick up the Tabien Baan

** Please remember to make an appointment with the chief guy at the Amphor prior to attending.

Very painless process, and no fee.

Totster :o

I went to the Amphor Office to day and got my Yellow Tabien Baan.

The paperwork took about an hour, and the wife, mother in law and Poo Yai Baan had to be present to sign some papers.

What I took with me.

• Copy of passport (inc Visa)
  • Copy of Thai driving license (Motorbike and car)
  • Copy of the house Tabien Baan (blue)
  • Copy of Mother in Law's Tabien Baan
  • Copy of Poo Yai Baan's Tabien Baan
  • Copy of wife's ID card
  • Copy of mother in law's ID card
  • Copy of Poo Yai Baan's ID card
  • Copy of marriage certificate
  • 6 passport size photos
  • 2 postcard sized photos (should show the full body including legs)

After the paperwork was finished I had to return after lunch and pick up the Tabien Baan

** Please remember to make an appointment with the chief guy at the Amphor prior to attending.

Very painless process, and no fee.

Totster :D

I'm on my third now,will have to change again when our week-end cottage is finished (I'm a little paranoid,don't like an extended family registered on the premises) it's a very straighy and easy task,not many advantages, but useful if you want to buy a car in your name,or a byke,and as you CANNOT be registered on the blue (only for Thais) one,is proof of your residence.The fee is nominal,but if you don't like to wait a little tea-money is required.

By my experience,you don't have to inconvenience the Pu Yai,every beggar around is fine,for 20 Baht they'll sign anything, photos are Not requested either,no need for a driver license,or a marriage certificate.

Of course T.i.T. so every Amphur may be different. :o

I'm on my third now,will have to change again when our week-end cottage is finished (I'm a little paranoid,don't like an extended family registered on the premises) it's a very straighy and easy task,not many advantages, but useful if you want to buy a car in your name,or a byke,and as you CANNOT be registered on the blue (only for Thais) one,is proof of your residence.The fee is nominal,but if you don't like to wait a little tea-money is required.

By my experience,you don't have to inconvenience the Pu Yai,every beggar around is fine,for 20 Baht they'll sign anything, photos are Not requested either,no need for a driver license,or a marriage certificate.

Of course T.i.T. so every Amphur may be different. :o

It was the Amphor that requested the Poo Yai Baan and photos. The mother in law and Poo Yai Baan had to sign under the postcard photo that it was me etc..

They also requested me to bring copies of any official documents I had .. hence the marriage certificate and the driving licenses, anything to add weight to the application I would imagine.

A good idea for anyone is to visit the amphor office and get them to list what you need to do beforehand, that way there will be no surprises.

totster :D

In my case, the reason the Poo Yai had to attend was to physically identify me as the person who lives at the particular address and to sign a statement to that effect.

As the Thetsabahn told us, it is he who is ultimately verifying that you are resident in question.

Seems a lot of hassle to get a car registered. Just go to immigration with your passport (with visa) + 2 photos and get them to type up a residence letter. This costs 200B use your licence as the address in Thai.Done in 10 minutes and works at the motor registry as good as a Tabien Bahn.

Harry the Finn :o

• 2 weeks later...

Yelow Book.

You Require as per the rules the following.

Letter from Embassy Stating Where You Live.

2 Winesses Must Be Employed. (I.E._ Must be Tax Payers.)

Must Come from your imediate area.

One Witness should be the local Boss ! Thats what they call them.

Blue Book.

Thats it you do not haveto be maried but it helps and take the Blue book holder with you who will also have to witness.

They say here guarantee but thats rubish its just confirming wher you live.

Yellow book. What use.

Many Intenet Banking Easy When you show.

Police Problem helps so much I Know.

The list is endless but it helps in ways you would not belive.

Imigration dont need but want a copy. Strange but helps.

It makes people belive you want to stay in Thailand.

Dont pay for one.

But you can buy a house in your name and the law protect a house on leased land. You can buy cars, motorbikes and get a bank account with credit card in your name. You can get your landline telephone and internet in your name.

It's easy to get a Thai driver licence. A Thai driver licence is good as an ID-card

I've got all the bold ones in my own name and I don't have a yellow TB.

My mates got the italic ones in his own name and no yellow TB.

So what benefit is it again?

It's easy to get a Thai driver licence. A Thai driver licence is good as an ID-card

I've got all the bold ones in my own name and I don't have a yellow TB.

My mates got the italic ones in his own name and no yellow TB.

So what benefit is it again?

1)If the house is mine I would like to show I'm living there.

2)The telephone(landline)will be in the name of the house owner(or,if you rent,you have to show the rental agreement)

3)The address confirmation from the Imm. Office,in my experience,isn't so easy to obtain(it may be different in other places)

4)As already said,not many advantages,we are Farangs,don't have the same rights as Thais,the yellow Tabien Ban,don't give you extra clout,but makes life easier,sometimes! :o

I bought my condo in Bangkok 2 months ago. I live there alone. After the transfer I was given the blue book by the seller and was told by her that I needed to register. On reading this thread it would seem that I cannot register my name in the blue book as I am a foreigner (with a work permit).

Does it matter? Do I need a yellow book?

Confused...

• 2 months later...

I got my yellow book. It took one morning. All the paperwork was completed I waited in the Amphur for about 1 hour or so and collected the book. Lots of smiles did not get angry at requests for additional paperwork (in the form of s police report).

The Amphur staff were extremely helpful.

I am still working out what the benifits of having one are...... I have come up with one which is useful for me and that is not needing to go to my embassy to obtain a letter anymore :o for Driviving lic etc

I dont understand why one must have a certificate of residency to get a yellow book. To get the certificate, you must provide the same information they ask for to get the yellow book, except the witnesses. So, you are really going through the process twice.

• 1 year later...
I dont understand why one must have a certificate of residency to get a yellow book. To get the certificate, you must provide the same information they ask for to get the yellow book, except the witnesses. So, you are really going through the process twice.

I don't understand it either and having had a rant at my wife about it (she opened both ears to let it pass through) I will be going up to Mae Sot in a few days to collect one and make a 90 day report at the same time. :D

Go with the flow and keep your blood pressure down. :)

I felt better after the rant though. :D

I am still working out what the benifits of having one are...... I have come up with one which is useful for me and that is not needing to go to my embassy to obtain a letter anymore :) for Driviving lic etc
I too am trying to work out "what the benefits of having one are...."? I haven't got one and don't want one. I personally think it's obtained by paranoid married men who aren't too sure that their relationships are stable. By having the 'Yellow Book', and having their relationship go pear shape, it's then, probably, used as a consolation that they come away with some dignity. For me, I've only paid out what I can afford to lose, a standard necessity in Thailand, in a few peoples honest opinions.

PS. 'Maprao' you have never had to go to an Embassy to get a letter for a "Driving lic" in the years I've been here. You get the letter from the Immigration Office, surely ?

Edited by sinbin

I am still working out what the benifits of having one are...... I have come up with one which is useful for me and that is not needing to go to my embassy to obtain a letter anymore :D for Driviving lic etc
I too am trying to work out "what the benefits of having one are...."? I haven't got one and don't want one. I personally think it's obtained by paranoid married men who aren't too sure that their relationships are stable. By having the 'Yellow Book', and having their relationship go pear shape, it's then, probably, used as a consolation that they come away with some dignity. For me, I've only paid out what I can afford to lose, a standard necessity in Thailand, in a few peoples honest opinions.

PS. 'Maprao' you have never had to go to an Embassy to get a letter for a "Driving lic" in the years I've been here. You get the letter from the Immigration Office, surely ?

What a strange attitude seeing as this book gives absolutely no more legal rights to property ownership(assuming you already know that :D).

I got a yellow book because with it you no longer need Residence letters and its a good form of ID without carrying round your passport. PLUS it was FREE. It also shows you to be more than a lowly tourist in National Parks ect.

All that has Fark Hall to do with any relationship issues :)

Dave

Sorry I don't understand your first sentence 'Dave'. How many times do you need a residencey letter ? I got one once. It allowed me to open a bank account and put the car in my name. Never required one since, and that's a good few years now. Some banks and car dealers will do that anyway, without the letter. The 'yellow book', "It's a good form of ID", no more a "good form" than carrying your driving licence. The 'yellow book' doesn't have your photo in it, so how can that be a "good form of ID" ? Even Thais cannot use their 'blue books' for ID purposes, it's not acceptable and neither is a 'yellow' one for us. Any 'Tom, Dick or Harry can use it and say they're the person in the book, without a secondary form of ID.

I never carry my passport, or have ever been asked to do so, other than at the bank, which I'd expect them to do for security. Even with the "Yellow Book" you're still no more than a "lowely tourist" and always will be. I know of no "National Parks" that treat you differently because you have a "Yellow Book". I'm sorry, but I still see the "Yellow Book" as a comfort tool, an expensive one at that, for a married farang that feels insecure. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Edited by sinbin

Sorry I don't understand your first sentence 'Dave'. How many times do you need a residencey letter ? I got one once. It allowed me to open a bank account and put the car in my name. Never required one since, and that's a good few years now. Some banks and car dealers will do that anyway, without the letter. The 'yellow book', "It's a good form of ID", no more a "good form" than carrying your driving licence. The 'yellow book' doesn't have your photo in it, so how can that be a "good form of ID" ? Even Thais cannot use their 'blue books' for ID purposes, it's not acceptable and neither is a 'yellow' one for us. Any 'Tom, Dick or Harry can use it and say they're the person in the book, without a secondary form of ID.

I never carry my passport, or have ever been asked to do so, other than at the bank, which I'd expect them to do for security. Even with the "Yellow Book" you're still no more than a "lowely tourist" and always will be. I know of no "National Parks" that treat you differently because you have a "Yellow Book". I'm sorry, but I still see the "Yellow Book" as a comfort tool, an expensive one at that, for a married farang that feels insecure. Sorry, but that's my opinion.

I can see your point of view but others have a vastly different reason for wanting one.

You need the residency letter to prove where you live albeit that that the embassy has no real idea and will take your word for it.

I have lived and worked in Thailand since 1993 and I must have moved about 10 times so in theory I should have applied to the embassy 10 times though I didn't.

My driving licence says that I live in Sukhumvit 93 in Bangkok though in reality I live in Klong Lan in the central region.

My licence is due for renewal next year and I want to get it done in Khampaeng Phet wich is 65 km from where I live now. To get a letter from the embassy would take me 2 days minimum, an 800 km round trip and probably 2 overnight stays in a hotel plus the 2,088 baht to pay the embassy for a letter.

I bought my motorcyle this year in Nakhon Si Thammarat and I need to change the registration to Khampaeng Phet as well.

All of the above has nothing to do with it as a "comfort tool" for myself and my wife. (which by the way I find slightly offensive)

Hi Sinbin

I needed a separate(new) residence for the following

1)to buy a car

2)to buy a motorbike

3) to get my first one year DL for said car

4) to get my first one year DL for said motorbike

5) to get a 5 yr DL for said car

6) to get a 5 yr DL for said bike

7) for a private legal matter with a Lawyer

8) to open a bank account

I do accept you comments with regard to ID but I have found that I can get into National Parks/sites at Thai prices and not Farang vastly inflated prices.

Technically all farangs should carry their passport at all times (yes, I know this is crazy and impractical) and (probably like you) I feel unsafe when this important document is not stored away securely. I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO PRODUCE MY PASSPORT BY POLICE. A very good practical solution is to carry a small Cr card sized laminated copy BTW.

Thai Immigration have just relocated some 3 hours away from my hometown so believe me, I have saved a fortune by not needing further Residence Letters when compared to obtaining a FREE Yellow Tabian Baan locally.

So to summarize, I understand we have different experiences and we both have explained why we differ in opinions. Thats what a good open forum is all about. Like Billd766 I to find your reference to 'a comfort tool' slightly offensive and belittling.

Dave

I can see your point of view but others have a vastly different reason for wanting one.

You need the residency letter to prove where you live albeit that that the embassy has no real idea and will take your word for it.

I have lived and worked in Thailand since 1993 and I must have moved about 10 times so in theory I should have applied to the embassy 10 times though I didn't.

My driving licence says that I live in Sukhumvit 93 in Bangkok though in reality I live in Klong Lan in the central region.

My licence is due for renewal next year and I want to get it done in Khampaeng Phet wich is 65 km from where I live now. To get a letter from the embassy would take me 2 days minimum, an 800 km round trip and probably 2 overnight stays in a hotel plus the 2,088 baht to pay the embassy for a letter.

I bought my motorcyle this year in Nakhon Si Thammarat and I need to change the registration to Khampaeng Phet as well.

All of the above has nothing to do with it as a "comfort tool" for myself and my wife. (which by the way I find slightly offensive)

Why did you take offence at "comfort tool" as I never a directed it at anyone other than to say "I see the "yellow Book" as a comfort tool,". My thoughts, and not a critism of anyone.

As for a "residency letter" I got mine from the Immigration office in Korat, free. Why go to an embassy and pay to get it ? It'll be in English and you'd need to get it translated, surely ?

I've had 2 cars and 1 motorcycle since being here. All registered to me and I've only had to obtain 1 "residency letter", the first one. I currently have a 5 year driving licence with the address of my first abode, here in Isaan. I've moved twice since then and was never asked for a "residency letter" when changing from a 1 year to a 5 year licence, or was I asked if I still lived at the original address.