1)to buy a car

2)to buy a motorbike

3) to get my first one year DL for said car

4) to get my first one year DL for said motorbike

5) to get a 5 yr DL for said car

6) to get a 5 yr DL for said bike

7) for a private legal matter with a Lawyer

8) to open a bank account

I do accept you comments with regard to ID but I have found that I can get into National Parks/sites at Thai prices and not Farang vastly inflated prices.

Technically all farangs should carry their passport at all times (yes, I know this is crazy and impractical) and (probably like you) I feel unsafe when this important document is not stored away securely. I HAVE BEEN ASKED TO PRODUCE MY PASSPORT BY POLICE. A very good practical solution is to carry a small Cr card sized laminated copy BTW.

Thai Immigration have just relocated some 3 hours away from my hometown so believe me, I have saved a fortune by not needing further Residence Letters when compared to obtaining a FREE Yellow Tabian Baan locally.

So to summarize, I understand we have different experiences and we both have explained why we differ in opinions. Thats what a good open forum is all about. Like Billd766 I to find your reference to 'a comfort tool' slightly offensive and belittling.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Firstly please take note of my explanation of "comfort tool" to 'billd776'. To find my thoughts "slightly offensive" is over reation, in my opinion, by both of yous. I suppose yous will find that remark offensive as well ?

'Dave', you've given me 8 examples of why you need 8 new "residency letters". I've more or less been in the same boat as yourself and had only ever had to obtain one in the years I've been here.

If obtaining a "yellow book" is such a cost saving accessory, then 'Dave' I can assure you I would have got one years ago, but unfortunately it's not, in my opinion. If I honestly thought the "yellow book" was of any real benefit then I'd be singing it's praises from the highest tree, but I can't. I stand by my original statement that it's "for a married farang that feels insecure".

PS. Now I would have taken that last quote as offensive but neither of you mentioned it. So your right 'Dave', "we differ in opinions".

Edited by sinbin

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello everyone! Does anybody knows if there is a requirement to have been in Thailand for at least 3 years before one can get this troubled piece of paper? Thanks

I have never heard of it, but rules change like the weather between office to office.

Dave

Hello everyone! Does anybody knows if there is a requirement to have been in Thailand for at least 3 years before one can get this troubled piece of paper? Thanks

I got my yellow book after only a couple of years spread over 2 Non-B visas and after only about 6 months of marriage.

PS. When I applied for it, my wife and our marital status were pretty much secondary to having the agreement of mother-in-law as it's her blue book that we all take 'comfort' in.

OMG, in sinbin's book, I must look really , really, REALLY insecure but I did get the car in MY name as well as speeding up the Thai DL issuance; no need to go traipsing across the province for a letter saying I was 'resident'.

Edited by NanLaew

Surayu, got my 'yellow book after 1 month here. I did have a lawyer for the purchase of my house and she made sure that the yellow book was done as soon as the house was registred at the land office. Only cost was for my lawyer. Most of the paperwork requirements have been discussed in this forum already.

Surayu, got my 'yellow book after 1 month here. I did have a lawyer for the purchase of my house and she made sure that the yellow book was done as soon as the house was registred at the land office. Only cost was for my lawyer. Most of the paperwork requirements have been discussed in this forum already.

I think you meant/mean that you registered the house at the 'Tessa Baan'. Only the land is registered at the land office. Two entirely different places.

]I think you meant/mean that you registered the house at the 'Tessa Baan'. Only the land is registered at the land office. Two entirely different places.

I think you meant/mean his Lawyer dealt with it.

Only Joking, Sinbin :)

Where along the 24 are you?

Dave