Why Am I Trying To Stop Smoking Today?

Jersey_UK

I did not wake up intending to stop smoking.........and had my usual half a dozen cigs for breakfast (and Black Coffee - to balance my diet :D ).

A couple of hours later after sitting on the Internet my body was telling me I was well overdue a ciggarette............but I knew this involved both a 10 minute motorbike journey to an ATM and then another 10 minutes to but some ciggies..........so I hung on.

Now I am sitting here puzzling over the fact that I can sit on an Aeroplane for up to 15 / 16 hours at a time without physically dying from lack of Nicotine or getting too wound up (albeit being very happy when I have landed!) and also can sleep for up to 12 hours without needing to wake up for a ciggarette.

But after around 3 hours this morning I am climbing the wall :o:D:D ........(the 3 cups of coffee probably have not helped :D )..........

I know what is coming later today, cos' at the moment the withdrawal is only in my head - the physicall stuff is yet to come............. I have been here before. But I have wanted to give up for a long time. Maybe this time. But I have a slight problem in that I am weak willed. and do like smoking.

This won't be a running commentary just trying to distract myself. :o

Already I feel so much fitter, and could now run for a bus. possibly................ :bah::bah:

Your challenge will be to prove to yourself that you are strong enough to break a life threatening habit.

You don't have to prove anything to us, your family or your friends....only to yourself.

Unfortunately I know that I am weak willed................but to say I am surprised that 24 hours later that I am still not smoking is a bit of an understatement..........

I will admit that the main reason that I have not smoked is that I have no ciggarettes in the house................. I have looked. everywhere. several times. :o I have also not been out of the house in 24 hours.................

Last night I woke up at 3am craving a ciggy and could not get back to sleep for an hour or so.........

The slight fly in the ointment is that I do have to leave the house today for a meeting I cannot afford to miss or reschedule. Not going to be a stress free event - which is my usual trigger. Whether real or imagined.

What is keeping me going at the moment, is 2 things - I have decided to "do this for the Missus", both by not helping to kill her and by not killing myself (years of trying to "do this for myself" have never worked) .......also the money is a factor - over £200 a month nowadays........nearly as much as the Missus lives on each month in Thailand.........

Next week I am giving up smoking Crack............it's gotta be easier!

Ramblimg rambling rambling!!!

I have decided to "do this for the Missus", both by not helping to kill her and by not killing myself (years of trying to "do this for myself" have never worked) .......also the money is a factor - over £200 a month nowadays........nearly as much as the Missus lives on each month in Thailand.........

Sit there and read that again...in fact cut it out and stick it onto the wall, somewhere where you can read it every day.

This is your reason for quitting. Don't let yourself down.

I am a happy camper because of the no smoking. I just got done with some heavy exercise and man it feels good to not have any wheezing and head aches and pains.

I remember the smoking days - worthless. Cigarettes are absoulutely worthless.

oh, I hadn't been to some places in months. yesterday, I went and people were offering me cigarettes then noticing I wasn't puffing up like a chimney. It feels good to be considered a nonsmoker.

Maybe my experience can help?

When I moved to Thailand 11 years ago I was a 20-a-day man on a 'night out with the lads'.

This soon developed into 40 to 60-a-day depending on whether I was at home or 'on the beers that night'!

For years I wondered how my health would eventually be impacted by this?, and with dread I finally went for full health check.

ALL CLEAR came back the result.

That was the catalyst for me to stop. I purchased a full course of patches from Ebay (half price and cheap to ship to Thailand)

Prepared my replacement 'hand to mouth' alternative for after meals which was ice cream in a stick (tub or scoop ice cream will not suffice!) Magnum works best!

It was not easy, but by using the patches the craving was minimal. I actually think the physical connection is the harder to overcome.

I have been without a smoke now for 18 months.

A few things to remember for increased chances of success:

1. Do it because YOU want to, not because you are being nagged to stop! You need your own personal catalyst to encourage you to seriously consider trying to stop in the first place.

2. Patches work only if you follow a total non smoking plan. The odd one or two now and then may seem harmless, but send you right back to square one very quickly.(I know as I failed my first attempt like that)

3. Avoid going out with the boys, at least until the 1st half (full strength) of the patch course is over

4. Don't let your stupid mates try to tempt you with a quick cig when you do return to the boys nights out (some idiots will try because they dont have the guts or common sense to try and give up themselves)

5. The craving for a smoke lasts about 5 minutes...after that it goes.

6. Use the 'hand to mouth' substitute whenever you really thicraare gonna crack!

7. You WILL put on weight, but don't worry, the weight issue can be dealt with later once the critical period of your non smoking has passed.

8. Get your wife or GF involved in a rewards programme for you. You see, prepare for the return of your libido after 2 -3 months, so while your on Ebay signing up for your patches, she could be stocking up on Victoria Secret goodies to encourage you and treat you once you have passed predetermined milestones in your ever so successful attempt to stop smoking!

All the best

Well, what can I say............ :o:D:D

But progress of a sort........as I do actually feel bad about not quite having cracked this no smoking malarky........especially regarding the wife stuff.........

Folk taking the time to offer words of support is much appreciated......and kinda adds to my (new found) sense of guilt (which IMO is a good thing!)

I know it's never too soon to stop again, but not this week.......

Goodluck with it. I am on the patches and have stopped. It is terribly hard and I am not a big smoker unless at work. Deciding to stop seems easy, yet breaking the habit is so difficult. the patches have stopped a certain amount of cravings, but it is the habit that has got me ie. sitting in smoking areas with the other guys on a break chin wagging etc. Well I have stayed out up till now and will hopefully vontinue.

Goodluck and hopefully this thing "smoking" will become a thing of the past.

:o

That word "again" should not be there. When you stop...you STOP!!!

When quitting...even if it's only for a few days...."re-start" never follows "stop."

The next thing that might stop for a habitual heavy smoker is their quality of life.

When quitting...even if it's only for a few days...."re-start" never follows "stop."

The next thing that might stop for a habitual heavy smoker is their quality of life.

stopping smoking is only hard for the 1st 3 days after that it gets easier ,problem is second hand smoke smell so good 1 wont hurt ,what to do with your spare hand when drinking,on the telephone,etc

and all the weight gain,ive decided im a smoker and always will be ,even when i've quit i still class myself a smoker :o

Nobody says that quitting is easy. I have a mate who is a heavy smoker. He gave up for 14 days on his doctors orders because he had to undergo laser treatment to remove growths from his throat. (tobacco related.)

The growths were removed and now he is back smoking again.

He hates himself for being so weak willed.

If weight gain is a problem for you then maybe you need to include an exercise routine as part of the quitting smoking processes.

As for not knowing what to do with your spare hand....wrap it around a good looking woman. :o

Your mind and body will reap the benefits.

Edited by Mighty Mouse

stopping smoking is only hard for the 1st 3 days after that it gets easier ,problem is second hand smoke smell so good 1 wont hurt ,what to do with your spare hand when drinking,on the telephone,etc

and all the weight gain,ive decided im a smoker and always will be ,even when i've quit i still class myself a smoker :o

Hello who may i ask told you that,even if your an ex smoker your trying to kid ''yourself " and everyone here that its easy.

8 months i've been off them and every day is hel_l.

if i were to have a heroin addiction or any other kind of drug addiction i would get help from the NHS,smoking forget it.

do you think the taxes charged for ciggies goes back into the national health.

where do all the profits go from the companys who make the patches .

And to think of it where do they get the nicottine from.?

right thats out of the way !

it is hard but 1-to-3 days just a tad off the mark the worst time for me was the fourth week and its just now getting slightly better.

:D giving up no problem :D