Bangkok Subway Chaos

george

Huge crowds rush to try subway

Passengers jostle for space, trains delayed

BANGKOK: -- Huge crowds crammed Bangkok's newly-opened subway yesterday, turning the Mass Rapid Transit Authority (MRTA) service into chaos.

Most flocked to Hua Lamphong and Bang Sue, the first and last stations, where enthusiastic travellers were forced to wait in the crowds for two or three trains to pass before they could squeeze aboard.

Yesterday was the second day of the service. ``It's really crowded. Two trains have passed and I still can't get on,'' said one passenger at Hua Lamphong station.

At Hua Lamphong, staff had to temporarily close one of the entry gates for 15-20 minutes until those waiting to board the train had gone. A large number of passengers were stuck at the ticket booths, while many appeared confused when dealing with ticket turnstiles. Instead of going through the turnstile after activating the electronic gate with their chip, many held back until it closed and could not get in, obstructing passengers behind them.

Some passengers looked frustrated and complained that the MRTA did not provide enough staff to handle the crowd.

An officer at Hua Lamphong station said the 10-baht fee had attracted too many people. Instead of leaving the station after reaching their destination, many people continued riding, taking several trips back and forth.

A lot of parents took their children for a first ride. Some children complained they had trouble breathing because the trains were so crowded. Passenger clumsiness with the new system was blamed for delays. Some trains had to stop at stations for five minutes, instead of 20 seconds as scheduled.

--The Post 2004-07-05

Took my first ride mid morning today. Really cut down the time from Ratchadapisek to Sukhumvit and all for 10 baht. I wonder how long this promotion will last. The motor cycle taxis along ratchadapisek/asok must be well annoyed.

The train was crowded and the aircon was struggling to cope in my opinion. Not like the sky train.

It will certainly help me get around downtown bangkok

Just thinking. Similar problems occured when they opened the skytrain.

People unable to work out the automatic gates and using one baht coins to buy tickets from the machines until the machines jammed and they were closed down.

I believe it was reported that then pasengers had to wait for upto 2 hours to buy tickets from the booths on the first day of operation

Sounds just like London Underground on a GOOD day.And you got "dit Air"

Cant remember the last time I got a seat on the Victoria Line....or the last year for that matter. :o

Welcome to the 21st Centuary ..or rather 26th BE. :D

Signs leave commuters puzzled

People unsure which exit leads to where

BANGKOK: -- The Mass Rapid Transit Authority needs one month to improve direction signs at its underground stations, as the huge crowds using the subway have expressed confusion regarding exits.

MRTA governor Prapat Chongsanguan said the subway and its concessionaire, Bangkok Metro Co Ltd (BMCL), would discuss problems and obstacles and find ways to correct them.

Many passengers complained that direction signs at the stations were unclear, particularly which exits led where, such as which side of the road.

Mr Prapat said the signs lacked detail as the subway's main objective was to move people from the platform as quickly as possible. Other countries also followed the same guidelines and passengers could check details of directions which were placed on the upper floor away from the train platform at each station, he said.

Sompho Sriphum, operations director of BMCL, said his firm would improve direction signs by adding details of exits and enlarging the letters.

``We have to accept that Thais are not accustomed to reading signs. Like subway systems in other countries, large signs will show only the exit and more details of the exit will be shown at other locations,'' he said.

Bangkok's 20-km subway system has a total of 18 stations from Hua Lamphong to Bang Sue. Until Aug 12, Her Majesty the Queen's birthday, a flat fee of 10 baht is being charged per person.

Chartchai Praditpong, manager of BMCL's promotion section, said Hua Lamphong, Silom, Sukhumvit and Bang Sue stations were crowded with passengers. Many enthusiastic commuters continued to try the service yesterday. Several passengers encountered problems at ticket turnstiles. They appeared confused about using the black chip before going through the turnstile.

Bunchai Chuecharnwong, a company employee in the Klong Toey area, said direction signs were important for passengers as the subway platforms were very large.

Signs should have been installed in places where they could be easily noticed, he said.

Sukhum Chuenchom, another employee using the subway service at Silom station, said she felt safer when travelling by the skytrain than the underground subway. But she still used the subway as it was more convenient and saved travelling time.

As the fare was only 10 baht for the whole distance during the promotion period, huge crowds crammed the subway, especially on Sunday, which drew about 250,000 passengers.

But the MRTA governor said this figure could not be used as a reference to gauge the number of train users. The agency would have to wait till after Aug 13, when real fares set in, to properly estimate passenger volume, he said.

--The Post 2004-07-06

Can't get a seat...had to stand!!!

Unreal:-(

This is an amazing feat of engineering and will be fantastic.

Obviously with a 10 baht promotion and a 'new toy' to play with half of BKK is going to go play.

Make the comments, like the big boss says, after the 13th.

Looking forward to it :o

Today there are recorded announcements of upcoming stations (understand they were not in use earlier). Stations had small signs indicating street exits and people directing but that still needs to be put on the large "exit" signs which now only say exit and give no indication where you will come up from the deep.

Trains were not crowded at 10:00 but all seats were taken most of the time. People seemed to be able to enter/exit quite well and stations stops seemed to be short. Air conditioning was cool enough.

All in all very nice.

My post was in the same vein as yours. Mine was in reply to the serious one above laugh.gif

I know. I understood your comment and just hope the original poster was using a "British" sense of humor (which I appreciate) to get a reaction (as they gave the stop details).

I do hope we do not become as rushed as Singapore however. Get run down every time wonder a mall there.

Today there are recorded announcements of upcoming stations (understand they were not in use earlier).

Not true I believe.

I have used the subway for multiple journeys in each direction on every day since it opened to the public and in each instance the upcoming station was announced in both thai and english. as per the BTS with the addition of a warning in both languages to mind the gap at each station.

True i did not travel the whole line in one trip nor indeed stay on the whole day but I made various journeys from Chatuchak to Silom, which covers the vast majority of the line at various times during the day.

i agree that the exit signs could be improved. However I have found that the 'locality maps' which can be found on the walls provide adequate information. This just needs in many instances to be transfered to the exit signs which naturally most people look out for.

for Instance at Asok which 'connects' to the BTS (such connections are also announced on the train as well) there is no indication on any of the exit signs that i have seen which exit and there are 3 leads to the BTS. It is however marked on the locality maps on the walls.

Exit signs only seem to indicate the exit number to coincide with said maps and whetehr there is an escalator or an elevator

Used the subway a few times yesterday and if they retain half the passengers they have now with the 10 baht fare then they will do very well.:D The trains l travelled on were just as busy as Saturday night and it wasn't even peak hour. :D The only station that could be a white elephant is Sutthisan, hardly anybody seems to get on or off there.

Lots of older people still seemed to be having problems making their way through the turnstiles. At Chatuchak Park the line quickly got long as various people couldn't work out what to do.:o

Aircon varies from train to train, sometimes good, sometimes barely noticable. :D

PA announcements on board were clear in both languages. When there was a delay of a couple of minutes at one station the lengthy Thai commentary from the driver was followed by a short recorded apology in English.