Camry V. Accord V. Teana

Both Accord and Camry have very good resale. Teana is a Thai corporate lackey expense account car. No resale value.

Between Accord and Camry, probably the new Camry is best if you get the top model, as it's later generation than the Accord. But, hard to go wrong with Hondas in Thailand also. Best to get either model fully loaded in terms of resale, and pamper them.

I checked out cars from Mitzubishi, Honda, Nissan and Ford. Didn't try toyota because i don't want to be driving next years taxi! The Mitz and Honda were both very nice but not too dissimilar to the Ford. I chose the Ford Focus in the end because they offered me a 70,000 Baht discount if i paid in cash. Most important consideration is how much grief you will get from your wife if you get a car other than the one she choses, because every time it goes wrong she will say, "the car i wanted would have been fine"!

I think the Focus is a much smaller car, in class with Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla.

I agree with the previous poster, the Teana has no resale value. Besides, I think it's ugly, but that's of course just an opinion.

Honda makes great cars but I find the current Accord model boring so my vote goes for the new Camry. Just saw a pearly white model with white leather interior, very nice indeed! Might consider it next time around.

I checked out cars from Mitzubishi, Honda, Nissan and Ford. Didn't try toyota because i don't want to be driving next years taxi! The Mitz and Honda were both very nice but not too dissimilar to the Ford. I chose the Ford Focus in the end because they offered me a 70,000 Baht discount if i paid in cash. Most important consideration is how much grief you will get from your wife if you get a car other than the one she choses, because every time it goes wrong she will say, "the car i wanted would have been fine"!

Not sure I understand the taxi logic. Only Camry taxi I've ridden in is from the airport. That would then apply to Mercedes as well. Mitsu doesn't market a comparable sized car in Thailand, nor does Ford. I like Ford but resale in Thailand is bad. Got really burned trading in a Ford pickup.

Tena have a lower resale value, but if you choice the 6 cylinder model you can't go wrong. because the 6 cylinder camry cost a million more. If you buy a car in this class you should consider to buy a 6 cylinder, because it's much smoother and the engine mounts not broken easly like in the 4 cylinder cars. For the money you'll spend for a 4 cylinder camry, you can buy the 2.3 liter 6 cylinder Tena. If you buy the 2 liter four cylinder you spend only about 1.2 mill. Baht. Still cheaper as the camry. Nissans are allways great cars, i had a couple Cefiros and Cedrics, and i was allways satisfied, because you get mor car for the price you pay.

I have been looking at cars for the past three weeks. Test drove the Teana, didn't like it at all. The dash looks like it's modeled after the 60/70s chevy caprices, UGLY.

I looked at the top of the line camry, didn't test drive, I loved it. Interior very luxurious and many bells and whistles.

I've owned several Honda Accords back in the states. Very reliable cars, but I think they are getting boring in their looks.

My vote goes for the Camry.

I was told the new Corolla will be out in Oct with a total new look. I'm hoping to hold out to take a look at them before we purchase. But right now, it'll be the Camry.

I have absolutely no brand loyalty. I do think they are all pretty good vehicles. I always hear about this LOW resale value. Where do you find those vehicles with the LOW resale price??? The last two vehicles I bought, I bought new because I could find NO bargains on late models regardless of the brand. The last vehicle I traded in was a 2002 Toyota four door, four wheel drive. I CERTAINLY didn't get much for that trade in and the truck looked VERY good. Yes, I could have sold it outright for more money but I didn't want to take advantage of anyone since it was a piece of sh!t and ALWAYS had something wrong with it.

The bottom line is that the resale values of all vehicles here in Thailand are ridiculously high.

I looked at these three vehicles about two years ago. Then the Teana's seats were uncomfortable, and there was a lack of headroom in the back. I looked at the old Camry, and it was very dated - the new one looks great. I was going to go for an Accord (2.4 litre), but the dealer started messing about regarding available colours, and they weren't overly apologetic about it. We ended up with a Toyota Wish and have been delighted with it and the after sales service.

In the rest of the world, you'd buy a 1 or 2 year old Teana whose previous owner hda lost out in the depreciation stakes. It would be loads cheaper than the Honda or the Toyota and still a good car for many years ahead. But this is Thailand.

So you buy a Toyota or Honda. Might as well flip a coin. New models will slightly depress the sales price of the current model which will hit resales but should mean a cheaper car now. Nothing wrong with either, except the V6 which is a million more.

I my self think the Tena is a much more interesting car, specially the dash looks great, not so boring as the Camrys and Hondas. Anyway i think the depression of the value is the same. A Tena 4 cylinder (if you want buy a 4 cylinder) cost about 1.2 mil, and you'' get after 3 years about 600.000. so you will lose 600'000. the Camry cost about 1.6 mil. Baht. Hes resale value after 3 years will be at 800.000 maybe 900'000 Baht, if you compare with the today market. So you lost 800'000 Baht. You; lle get more, but you spent 400'000 more and you'll lose more, so i think the tena is amuch better buy. Think about!

BTW its nothing wrong with the caprice dash, it was much better in style than any cars today. Not everybody have the same taste.

You know, in Farangland, this debate always came down to personal preferences. Drivers liked Hondas- more fun to drive, passengers liked Toyotas/Lexus - more sedate but better build quality, and I'm not sure who liked Nissans, but plenty do. The problem in Thailand is not so much the resale value, but the resale ABILITY. With one of the top two brands, Honda or Toyota, you can turn it quite quickly. With Nissan, not as quickly. I'm sure the Teanna is a fine car.

Everything I've read on the Camry, both abroad and here, seems to confirm that it's still mostly a passenger's car, but probably the most attractive for resale value and ability.

If you plan to keep it a long time, go with your personal preference.

Half a year ago I faced the same choice: Toyota Camry, Nissan Teana or Honda Accord.

The Camry is certainly the best equipped car with the most options included, even navigation, back video camera, seat cooling etc.

The Teana first looked ugly to me, but I must confess, today it looks better to me. Hasn't aged as much as the Accord.

I don't like the back of the Accord, but the engine was good.

At that time, Toyota had not yet announced the 3.5 liter engine.

Finally I had made up my mind to buy a Camry, I had ordered it and paid a deposit. The car was promised by the dealer (Toyota Seri Thai) for before end of November (06).

Shortly before that date, the dealer called me and said the car will be here in 2 days now, I should be prepared to pick it up. So I went to the bank and got a cashier's check for the price.

Then nothing anymore from the dealer.

I called, but he would not talk to me and would not return the calls. Strange.

Finally I went there personally only to be informed that my car would arrive sometime in January.

But, but, but ... you said it will be here in a few days, just 3 days ago.

No! I never said that, I always told you January 07. My wife confirmed my point, but the salesman just would not change his opinion.

I guess he gave "my" car to someone else for a "private" commission.

I told him (in English): "You are either incompetent or a liar." and left the place in anger.

And in anger I went to the Volvo dealer and bought a huge XC90. :o

Tena have a lower resale value, but if you choice the 6 cylinder model you can't go wrong. because the 6 cylinder camry cost a million more.

And also has 100 more horsepowers than Teana

If you buy a car in this class you should consider to buy a 6 cylinder, because it's much smoother and the engine mounts not broken easly like in the 4 cylinder cars.

That Teana's engine is smoother than Camry is not a fact, and I've never heard of easily breaking engine mounts in any Thai 4 cylinder car. Apparently this problem doesn't exist.

For the money you'll spend for a 4 cylinder camry, you can buy the 2.3 liter 6 cylinder Tena.

Camry's engine is bigger - 2.4l, and has more power that Teana's. I've never hear anyone praising Teana for performance or speed. It doesn't even look like it's meant to go fast. Check out those 2.0l airport Camries instead, driving at 150km/h on the motorway to Suwarnabhumi. I've never seen any of the Teana limousins trying to beat traffic there.

If you buy the 2 liter four cylinder you spend only about 1.2 mill. Baht. Still cheaper as the camry.

2 liter Camry is 1.249 million and is loaded with features as it comes in higher grade G only.

Nissans are allways great cars, i had a couple Cefiros and Cedrics, and i was allways satisfied, because you get mor car for the price you pay.

Some old Cefiros were fast, some not. One day our insurance agent came by to sign some papers and he was driving his sister's Cefiro. I asked him how it felt comparing to his own Civic and he told me that the car was sluggish and no matter how hard he pressed the gas pedal the car just wouldn't pick up speed. That was 2 liter engine.

All in all Camry is easily the best of the pack at the moment. Wait until new Accord arrives in a few months, right now it's too old and dated.

• 2 months later...
I my self think the Tena is a much more interesting car, specially the dash looks great, not so boring as the Camrys and Hondas. Anyway i think the depression of the value is the same. A Tena 4 cylinder (if you want buy a 4 cylinder) cost about 1.2 mil, and you'' get after 3 years about 600.000. so you will lose 600'000.

I've been trying to find a second hand Tena and haven't seen one for under 800,000. If you know of someplace selling one for 600,000 baht, please let me know as I'd like to buy it.

I my self think the Tena is a much more interesting car, specially the dash looks great, not so boring as the Camrys and Hondas. Anyway i think the depression of the value is the same. A Tena 4 cylinder (if you want buy a 4 cylinder) cost about 1.2 mil, and you'' get after 3 years about 600.000. so you will lose 600'000. the Camry cost about 1.6 mil. Baht. Hes resale value after 3 years will be at 800.000 maybe 900'000 Baht, if you compare with the today market. So you lost 800'000 Baht. You; lle get more, but you spent 400'000 more and you'll lose more, so i think the tena is amuch better buy. Think about!

Thinking.... thinking....

I think I'll go buy that 3 year old Tena for 600,000 and SAVE 600,000 instead of losing it!

The big question though is: Do I want to drive a car named after an incontinence product for elderly people.

Resale value depends whether you are buying or selling. I don't care what you have. If you are selling it isn't worth much. If you are buying, it is the best vehicle ever built regardless of make or model.

• 3 months later...

i think now it is not a fair judgement btw this three car because the new teana will be launch in early 2009.Nissan is trying to promote its brand much more aggressively than before.i am confident that nissan and toyota will be head to head in the coming years.At the mean time,i guess i will just wait for the new model which is like a year more,sigh!!