Buriram Nightlife

Trevor

Having visited Loei, which has a compact centre with convenient night venues and a comfortable B550 hotel, I thought about trying Buriram. The Internet has almost nothing about the place (as with Loei), although it could be a similar gem where farang are a rarity. I speak fluent Thai.

Any recommendations, please? Or how about other small Isaan towns with friendly night venues and few farangs? Thanks.

Having visited Loei, which has a compact centre with convenient night venues and a comfortable B550 hotel, I thought about trying Buriram. The Internet has almost nothing about the place (as with Loei), although it could be a similar gem where farang are a rarity. I speak fluent Thai.

Any recommendations, please? Or how about other small Isaan towns with friendly night venues and few farangs? Thanks.

I think you might struggle to find Issan towns now, that arn't full of farang. However on your Buriram question I am probably not the best person to answer this. I know there is an area that has Speed nightclub and a few other bars close by. It's a reasonably busy little area, I cant remember a great deal about it as I was on the regency that night, although I do remember plenty of farang.

Your best bet for native life (without farang) around Issan might be to go to cambodia. Just cross the border at chong chom and there's a little village a few klm's down the road. Not my cup of tea, but most towns in Issan is full of farang now. :o

I haven't visited for more than a year, but will give my tu'ppence worth, which the locals are welcome to correct. There is a central entertainment area known as The Square, which contains Speed Disco, Victoria Karaoke, Buriram City Cafe and a few small bars. These are quite quiet until late but may be worth a visit. Not too far away on the main road is the main farang-oriented bar - the Bamboo Bar - which in my opinion has some of the best food - both Western and Thai - in Isaan. The nearest hotel is the Thai Hotel, but it is a bit rough. Apart from this area you can walk a long way without encountering many bars, though there are a few around, sometimes with a couple together. The thing I quite liked in Buriram were the garden restaurants with singers. These are rather like open air cafes and some have quite friendly girls, though they can be a little down market. They usually have names starting with 'Suan ahaan...' The one that i liked best is not too far from The Square and is called Suan Ahaan Sai Tung (though it didn't seem much like a takaway). To get there you can start at the back exit from The Square near the Buriram City Cafe, cross the road, go down an alley nearly opposite (with the odd Soi dog), arrive at the big road at the far end, turn right 20 yards and you are there. I spent a pleasant couple of hours talking to a nice young lady from Roi Et. Lady drinks were ridiculously cheap for coke - I think 20 baht. No farang in sight in these latter venues.

Edited by citizen33

P.S. I visited Loei last Christmas and explored around a bit. Is the main nightclub called Robot Tech? It featured some very nubile coyote-style dancers when I was there. I thought the bars were a little disappointing, though there were a couple with reasonable live entertainment. There is a cafe in the Soi behind the Royal Hotel with some very attractive singers but I found them pretty unfriendly with a lone farang. I stayed in the King's Hotel. Would be interested to hear your impressions.

I am staying in Buriram for my summer vacation and I've been travelling throughout Isaan. I've found ALL of Isaan to be surprisingly conservative as far as the "nightlife" goes. I could be sorely mistaken however as my Tirak doesn't let me drift beyond arms-length.

:o:D

I am staying in Buriram for my summer vacation and I've been travelling throughout Isaan. I've found ALL of Isaan to be surprisingly conservative as far as the "nightlife" goes. I could be sorely mistaken however as my Tirak doesn't let me drift beyond arms-length.

:o:D

You got it, SORELY MISTAKEN. Perhaps you have your blinkers on as well as the reins. Nuff said!!! :D

Edited by johnsurin

• 2 weeks later...
I haven't visited for more than a year, but will give my tu'ppence worth, which the locals are welcome to correct. There is a central entertainment area known as The Square, which contains Speed Disco, Victoria Karaoke, Buriram City Cafe and a few small bars. These are quite quiet until late but may be worth a visit. Not too far away on the main road is the main farang-oriented bar - the Bamboo Bar - which in my opinion has some of the best food - both Western and Thai - in Isaan. The nearest hotel is the Thai Hotel, but it is a bit rough. Apart from this area you can walk a long way without encountering many bars, though there are a few around, sometimes with a couple together. The thing I quite liked in Buriram were the garden restaurants with singers. These are rather like open air cafes and some have quite friendly girls, though they can be a little down market. They usually have names starting with 'Suan ahaan...' The one that i liked best is not too far from The Square and is called Suan Ahaan Sai Tung (though it didn't seem much like a takaway). To get there you can start at the back exit from The Square near the Buriram City Cafe, cross the road, go down an alley nearly opposite (with the odd Soi dog), arrive at the big road at the far end, turn right 20 yards and you are there. I spent a pleasant couple of hours talking to a nice young lady from Roi Et. Lady drinks were ridiculously cheap for coke - I think 20 baht. No farang in sight in these latter venues.

Buriram City Café and Suan Aharn Sai Tong (not Toong) have closed. The Square caters to Thai teens and is very subdued. Only evidence of interest in farang are a few skanky karaoke joints along Thanon Inchon-Narong.

Despite the conservatism and low incomes Buriram people are incredibly friendly, everything is cheap compared to the big city (except end-of-season durian), and the humidity levels are more comfortable than the central and southern provinces.

Try the blind masseur near the government hospital. Only 70 per hour, or 100 for reflexology. But watch out for the dysfunctional 6-year-old boy who steals the earplugs from your mat while you doze ... Thai petty thievery starts REAL early!

P.S. I visited Loei last Christmas and explored around a bit. Is the main nightclub called Robot Tech? It featured some very nubile coyote-style dancers when I was there. I thought the bars were a little disappointing, though there were a couple with reasonable live entertainment. There is a cafe in the Soi behind the Royal Hotel with some very attractive singers but I found them pretty unfriendly with a lone farang. I stayed in the King's Hotel. Would be interested to hear your impressions.

Sounds interesting.....