Pink Eggs

crudy21

You know the ones i mean, you see them at every market. Whats the deal with them?

I know im going to get all the jokes about them coming from pink chickens etc etc. But i was just wondering why are they pink?

I have also seen green ones as well?

Edited by crudy21

ahah ..i am pretty sure have this answer curtosy of "Very Thai" by Philip Cornwel-Smith..but forget! gimme a few minutes of looking through it to see if i can find out :o

betcha someone will post the answer after i finally find it. sods law.

Kai yieow maa = egg urine horse

They are preserved eggs. Inside the white is actually black and the yolk is brownish. They taste like egg according to my resident expert. They fry them and put it a dish with holy basil. It's actually a chinese invention according to her.

You often see them at Kao Tum Gui places all over Thailand--great places to have a late night meal.

ok..book too big :o and wanted to remember, good old google says:

"Black Eggs, also known as 1,000 year old eggs in the west, are preserved in an alkaline solution; they are then painted a pink colour. It is normal for the eggs to emit an unusual odor. To the untrained nose it may smell like the eggs have passed their use by date, actually this is quite normal and are safe for consumption. Some eggs are completely black inside, others may vary between yellow/green to dark green and black.

These eggs last for 3 months."

pretty am sure thats what the book says also.

you ganna try one?! :o

I've had them before, they're very nice. Kao Tom Gui places are great! One of the many wonderful things in Thailand--to be able to get world class food in the middle of nowhere after a late night drinking with your friends. Follow the pink eggs whither they will lead you my friends!

(Oh, and learn a couple basic things to order from those places.)

Sorry, eek: I'll try not to step on your paws next time.

Oh haha, not at all! :o

just found it a typical sods law situation. :D and, its not like i win any prizes, unless i get a condolence prize. :D

Well, in the olden days they are really fermented with the horse urine. The really traditional ones are those covered with some sort of straws or hay. And of course now they don't use horse urine anymore and they ferment these eggs with chemicals. The chinese use to cut them up and eat them with some preserved ginger. the yolk tastes quite gluey and alkaline in dark bluish grey colour. And the white is actually black and jelly like.

I don't know how the thais eat them but most of the chinese ate them with either the preserved ginger or they'll mixed them in their porridge and call that the preserved egg porridge.

And as for the greens and pinks, they're just the colours added to make that difference between normal eggs and salted eggs. I do hope that you know those white eggs selling at the supermarkets are not from white chickens but actually salted eggs(egg white is really white in colour and yolk orange in colour)!!

I think they are pink, to make them prettier... they dye them, like so-called "easter" eggs. I'm sure you've all heard this joke:

What's the advantage of Alzheimer's disease?

1. You get to meet new people everyday

and

2. You get to hide your own easter eggs

Seriously, the pink eggs come from totally heterosexual chickens. For the record, the lavendar eggs are from gay chickens.

Seriously, the pink eggs come from totally heterosexual chickens. For the record, the lavendar eggs are from gay chickens.

Any sociologist knows that any eggs allegedly produced by a gay chicken are really adopted. :o

Edited by toptuan

I think they are pink, to make them prettier... they dye them, like so-called "easter" eggs. I'm sure you've all heard this joke:

What's the advantage of Alzheimer's disease?

1. You get to meet new people everyday

and

2. You get to hide your own easter eggs

Doctor: Well do you want the good news or the Bad News first?

Patient: Give me the bad news first

Doctor: That pink egg you ate was poisonous and have only 4 days to live.

Patient: And what’s the good news?

Doctor: You have Alzheimer's disease

Patient: Well at least I am not Dying :o

Well, in the olden days they are really fermented with the horse urine. The really traditional ones are those covered with some sort of straws or hay. And of course now they don't use horse urine anymore and they ferment these eggs with chemicals. The chinese use to cut them up and eat them with some preserved ginger. the yolk tastes quite gluey and alkaline in dark bluish grey colour. And the white is actually black and jelly like.

Yuk, something told me they were going to be no good for a greasy ''Crazy Dave type'' breakfast!