Seaweed Snack

brahmburgers

She takes a length of packaged dry seaweed, dips the perimeter in a line of sesame seed flour, then boils it in oil - winds up about the size of a thin banana slice. They're tasty and nutritious - though oily. She's in that alley which is the western approach to the big day market. It's the alley crammed with Indian cloth dealers. She's there, 50 paces down on the left.

I'm posting this to possibly gain her some customers and thereby encourage people like her and others to get creative about snack foods.

Currently, more and more snack purchases are heading to 7-11 processed craap and such. Still no corn chips in C.Rai, no thick (or baked) potato chips (Hawaiian style or otherwise) no mexican style salsa (except at the one deli outlet by King Mengrai statue). Oh, and Kae's Mexican restaurant has some of these things. Has anyone ever seen or made chips from yams/sweet potatoes?

A snack-related question: you know those sesame seed treats, they're like wafers made from seed (black or regular) made rigid by dried syrup? I've seen them in outlying towns, but never for sale in Chiang Rai. Anyone know where to find them here? It would be better if they were made without so much sweetener, but this is Thailand and I understand that snack makers feel compelled to pack sweet snacks with as much sugar as they can.

Brahmburgers go to Northern Farm, the best I can describe the directions is if your coming from the Big C direction on the Superhighway, do a U-turn through the wall, cross to the otherside and go up the access road. Take the first soi on your left, it can be hard to see.

They have salsa, cornchips, bulk Anchor cheese they'll slice you off the block, packaged seaweed and lots of other good stuff.

I was in there the other day and they had South Australian James Hardy Gran Cuvee bubbly at 530B a bottle.

With such an hedonistic approach to delectables I bet you must feel comfortable with the upcoming Kao Pansaa! Refuse those scrummy dairy products and carbonic acidic firewater.

I've already taken a vow that as soon the good monks at our local temple seclude themselves at Khao Phansa, giving up their cigarettes, icecreams, sweets, walks around the village etc for Buddhist Lent then I too will forsake my few simple pleasures for the duration.

Jeez I'll be stuffed if they've got a new Abbot who makes them toe the line eh?