The Joy Of Being Sober

garro

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

71 A gradual improvement in health - particularly with regards to the liver, which will re-generate, and a reduction in heart related problems such as high blood pressure.

72.A longer life expectancy

73.Better job prospects.

74. Not forcing your children to be your parents because you're to wasted to make dinner.

75. Not scaring the shit out of your family because you had an accident on your bike and showed up at home with bloody injuries in your face and no teeth.

76. Not taking money from your wifes or kids bank accounts to buy more booze.

I have yet to reach all your levels of sobriety, hopefully one day i will. Many of the things you state are things i greatly miss. But an incredibly good thread, good to know that what i'm going through is shared by, or was shared by, many others. I've always been a drinker but of late the drink has started to rule. So to add my thoughts, more aspirations, than where i am at the moment:

To not vent my anger at myself on other people.

To avoid Casualty (ER) ... beaten up, falling down, fear that my withdrawals are a heart attack.

To enjoy sex with one person who can remember rather than bad sex with numerous people who i cant.

To have good friends, rather than drinking buddies.

To be able to post without editing because of daft mistakes.

Cheers

Edited by mooshcat

Has anyone else noticed you can smell water......when you're coming out of that nether world? I'm pleased I don't smell it any more.

ps: actually I really am interested.....is this a shared phenomenon?

Edited by sleepyjohn

74. My liver is my friend again, (enzymes levels normal),

75. My BP is down, can back off on hypertension meds,

76. Confidence high in decision making, (judgment modules up and running, all on line), :o

Number 100...You can't beat a fine ale in my books, each to their own

16042006.jpg

26022005001.jpg

Very witty - I nearly fell off my chair laughing.

Alcoholism is such an amusing subject - keep up the good work :o

Edited by Mobi

• 2 weeks later...

I liked number 27 the most.

The coldest slap in the face was meeting my boozy pals whilst sober. It dawned on me, "did I really laugh at this pri#k's jokes".

Worse still. "Did I look as stupid?". "why have I never spoken the the stunning barmaid?"

I may not be not be totally out of the bar yet, but at least I have my hat on and I'm standing before the door.

I may not be not be totally out of the bar yet, but at least I have my hat on and I'm standing before the door.

I can now look back and wonder what was the big attraction I saw in bars. I always had non-drinking or social drinking girlfriends who would often go with me to the pub; well they had to if they wanted to spend any time with me. I can see now how terribly boring it was for them.

• 3 weeks later...
Well forum members I have just joined, the honesty here is amazing.

Good luck all control the booze... :o

Welcome! :D

AA is THE place to go if you want gut level honesty on topics such as dishonesty. (another thig I like about being sober in AA)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

80 No more having to look at photos taken of me when I was doing stupid things while drunk or photos of me looking obviously drunk – droopy eyes, red eyes, holding onto props to even stand up.

81 No more having to bleach the spilt red wine stains from my clothes the next morning from spillages I couldn’t even remember.

82. No more red tongue and red teeth the next morning after a night of red wine bingeing.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
84. Waking up early with the feeling that ants are crawling all over you - and they actually are!

I am enjoying this thread and hope to be were you all are, maybe one day. I think it rammed it home to me when a blind man, a regular at my local in Samui said, Ah , ere comes drunken Jon . I had only just sat on the bar stool. I felt like shit. Time for a re think!