Adsl In Chiang Mai

ChiangMaiThai

Ok, for anyone following another CMT saga, here's the latest.

KSC has real IP addresses and so will work with Vonage.

They have a 'special' promotion right now- unlimited int and domestic. 256/128 Kbps for only 4,500 a month, shared with 5 people. 7,500 for 512/256 shared with 5 people. And if you don't want to share, you need only pay 15,900 a month for 256k and only 26,900 a month for 512k. These prices baffle me. How can they compete with TSpeed on anything other than the fact they offer real IP addresses?

I just checked my TSpeed connection. Got 250, 200, 400, 450, 250. To get these same kind of speeds consistently with KSC, you'd have to pay at least 15,900 a month. Crazy. There is really no reason (that I can see anyway) at all to go with KSC or Loxinfo unless you need a real IP. You can get a faster connection with TSpeed for 14,900 baht a month less.

What a crazy country.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello.

I am new in this forum, and are currently looking for an ADSL connection also.

Currently I am with the TOT, and that seems to be the first obstacle.

I have been waiting since april, and yesterday I was at the TOT office, and they kindly told me that they were out of "something" (I could not understand what, really), which they needed, and that it would take another 2 months before they got these "things".

So my to questions to you pepole are:

1:

One person told of the Ji-net

(http://www.ji-net.com/zone/DSL_Promotion.asp).

On the web they say they work with the TOT, but

when I called them though, they told they only work with the TT&T.

CONFUSING.

2:

One person told he was satisfied (almost) with the TSpeed.

I can not find them anywhere, would anyone care to post the link ore a phonenumber ?

May this forum be my solution!!!

Thanks....Eddie67.

Hello.

I am new in this forum, and are currently looking for an ADSL connection also.

Currently I am with the TOT, and that seems to be the first obstacle.

I have been waiting since april, and yesterday I was at the TOT office, and they kindly told me that they were out of "something" (I could not understand what, really), which they needed, and that it would take another 2 months before they got these "things".

So my to questions to you pepole are:

1:

One person told of the Ji-net

(http://www.ji-net.com/zone/DSL_Promotion.asp).

On the web they say they work with the TOT, but

when I called them though, they told they only work with the TT&T.

CONFUSING.

2:

One person told he was satisfied (almost) with the TSpeed.

I can not find them anywhere, would anyone care to post the link ore a phonenumber ?

May this forum be my solution!!!

Thanks....Eddie67.

TOT does has some ADSL offer for those who have a TOT phone line. But I believe they are notorious for poor service and quality.

When the TSpeed offer was introduced many people decided to change their phone lines from TOT to TT&T. i think this costs around 4000 baht, but I'm not sure. You could go to the TT&T office in Airport Plaza and ask. I'm now completley satisfied with TSpeed except for the fact that you don't get a real IP address. You do get pretty decent speeds 100k to 400k most of the time. But this could vary widely depending on your area as you share a 2Mbps connection with 50 people.

Can you give me the number for JI-Net in Chiang Mai? I called the number on the website and it says that its disconnected.

• 2 weeks later...

My latest update for anyone following the Vonage and TSpeed story. On two different occassions last week TT&T spent 3 hours with me at their head office trying to get Vonage to work. I've got nothing but good things to say about them. They aquired usernames for all the ISP's and we tried them one by one. They all work except for hinet. As they explained it CAT blocks ports because their major revenue comes from ld phone calls and there's nothing TT&T can do about it.

(I've got nothing but bad things to say about CAT. When I told TT&T I e-mailed CAT, they just laughed and said 'no reply right?'. The whole company is worthless as far as I'm concerned)

Anyway, I switched to JInet at 2500 a month. It works with TT&T lines. 512/256 shared between 10 people. Its about 50-75% as fast as TSpeed and 1500 baht more, but Vonage finally works and its truly amazing quality.

Also, I now know every ADSL provider here.

CSLoxinfo

JINet

Hinet (TSpeed)

KSC

TRUE (cable only)

I would say that JiNet is the best deal if you are sharing. Actually TSpeed is better, for me anyway and they said next week they are making it faster. But after that, its Jinet. CSLox the biggest rip off. When you sign up be sure to ask how many people you share with. They usually don't bother to mention up front. Its important.

TT&T can give you more info on all but TRUE. (TRUE is just past com plaza).

CMT, just to make sure I got this straight, TSpeed is faster and cheaper but you're switching to JInet just so you can use Vonage, right?

And the advantage of Vonage is ...?

You got it right. Vonage is simply the highest quailty VOIP there is. You don't need a computer. You use your regular phone. People call your number in the US and the phone rings here. You lift the phone and you hear a US dial tone. You pay 3 cents a minute for calls within the US. You can access toll free numbers for free. You can have 30 phone numbers in the states if you want, all linked to your p phone here. You can get an Americna fax number too for an extra $10 a month. Caller ID is standard. And the sound quality is the same as a normal phone. No delays. No echo. No cutting in and out. That's why its illegal here. Why would you pay CAT for your long distance calls?

CMT, just to make sure I got this straight, TSpeed is faster and cheaper but you're switching to JInet just so you can use Vonage, right?

And the advantage of Vonage is ...?

You got it right. Vonage is simply the highest quailty VOIP there is. You don't need a computer. You use your regular phone. People call your number in the US and the phone rings here. You lift the phone and you hear a US dial tone. You pay 3 cents a minute for calls within the US. You can access toll free numbers for free. You can have 30 phone numbers in the states if you want, all linked to your p phone here. You can get an Americna fax number too for an extra $10 a month. Caller ID is standard. And the sound quality is the same as a normal phone. No delays. No echo. No cutting in and out. That's why its illegal here. Why would you pay CAT for your long distance calls?

Got it.

Hi ChiangMaiThai.

I've just returned from TT&T at Kad Suan Kaew, where they assured me that no ISP with TT&T provides a fixed IP address. This seems contrary to your experience, but I wonder if I have misunderstood the Vonage requirements?

Unfortunately a fixed address is crucial to software I need to run. Before buying a new line from TT&T (I'm on TOT at present), I'd like to make sure it will, in fact, run.

How's the TOT experience, SBACM? I see you've been on for three weeks now.

Hi ChiangMaiThai.

I've just returned from TT&T at Kad Suan Kaew, where they assured me that no ISP with TT&T provides a fixed IP address. This seems contrary to your experience, but I wonder if I have misunderstood the Vonage requirements?

Unfortunately a fixed address is crucial to software I need to run. Before buying a new line from TT&T (I'm on TOT at present), I'd like to make sure it will, in fact, run.

How's the TOT experience, SBACM? I see you've been on for three weeks now.

I had misunderstood the Voange requirements. What you need is a REAL IP address, not a fixed IP address. But I think there are services out there that can give you a fixed IP address. Wasn't it mentioned in one of these threads here?

Anyway, JINet works great. 2,500 month. 100k to 200k most of the time. Downloads seem to be capped at 27 kB/sec. But Vonage is crystal clear. Forget skype and i connect here and the rest.

JINet works great. 2,500 month. 100k to 200k most of the time. Downloads seem to be capped at 27 kB/sec.

Thanks ChiangMaiThai.

Wouldn't that be Uploads capped at 27? Download should be faster?

Not too sure I understand the difference between a fixed and real IP address. Is a 'real' address fixed for the session???

JINet works great. 2,500 month. 100k to 200k most of the time. Downloads seem to be capped at 27 kB/sec.

Thanks ChiangMaiThai.

Wouldn't that be Uploads capped at 27? Download should be faster?

Not too sure I understand the difference between a fixed and real IP address. Is a 'real' address fixed for the session???

Downloads don't seem to make it past 27kB/sec. Sometimes it jumps up to 35 or 40 briefly so I guess its not capped. Uploads seem to be around 15-20. remember its slower than TSpeed. Connection speed is usually 100-300 at the McAfee site.

The fixed/real IP address issue is not completely clear to me. Maybe these guys can help http://www.no-ip.com/

Hi CMT, how is the new SKYPE ver 1.0 that has just come out, have you tried that yet, and if so how does it compare?

I just downloaded it. I haven't talked in a real conversation yet, but I called and left a message on my answering machine. Its nearly 100% clear. A couple points where my voice cut out very briefly. But the real question is whether or not there is a delay. The last version was clear, but there was a 2 or 3 second delay on my calls to America, which made it an interesting toy, but that's it.

I'll try it when people wake up in the states and I'll post the results.

I have a TOT line and visited their web site today to find out what the latest was re the ADSL. I was asked to type in a box my phone no. and if it came back in the green I was ok for the promotion, if it came back in the red I was not. My no. was in the red, so I guess I'm right out of luck at the moment. The URL below:

http://www.tot.co.th/en/news/totnews_detail.php?news_id=211

cm boy

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I've taken the plunge, put in a new TT&T line with Ji-Net 512/256 ADSL shared with 6 @ B6k pm. Very pleased with 188 to 510kps. 510kps was an actual download at 6am, 188 was at 6pm. Used the Macafee speedometer.

It took three working days from ordering.

I've also installed Microsoft Service Pack 2. No problems so far.

I've intalled SKYPE. I'm bamboozled as their banks won't accept any of our (nominally accepted) credit cards. So we'll have to wait for our friends to install and do it pc2pc.

Anyone tried RhinoBell? Though 2.5 cents / min (SKYPE is 83% of this at today's exchange rates), Rhinobell is probably cheaper on pc2telephone, as

1) they charge by the second, and

2) there's no mention of your account expiring. SKYPE accounts expire after 180 days unless topped up, so you can lose your money.

To transfer the $5 to get going withRhinobell, you've actually got to send a copy of your passport! (or do a bank transfer @ $20 per transfer)

I understand Vonage is basically for North American useage. Our main interests are in phoning UK and Oz.

I will be living moving to Chiang Mai at Christmas and would go crazy without my high-speed internet. However I will not be living in the city. I will be in a village a few miles outside of Sarapee. Will any of the providers you talk about in this thread be able to offer a connection that far from the city? If not is there any alternatives, or will it have to be a normal dial-up?

Thanks Chris

Ji-net said that it is available in SOME parts of the town. Tell them the phone number and they can advise.

The post above says a similar thing but the link only appears to want to accept 02 (Bangkok) numbers?

ADSL IS deifinitely in CM and if it is that important to you then suggest you finfd a house to live in that has it.

Please do not find one in an area where not available and then complain after :o

There are a lot of posts further up where names are given. You can call them all to check?

CT

We tried the TOT website, which gave us the OK green light for ADSL. But when it came to the crunch, it wasn't available.

We are on the 'edge' for TT&T in relation to CM at least, only 4km NW of com Plaza.

We checked all this out before renting, since it was important to us too.

The rental agent was terrifically helpful, only partly because the rental depended on ADSL availability.

Hi,

For the usual day-to-day Internet browsing and downloading I have a Hi-Net account which I generally get 560 kbit/sec (70 kbyte/sec) off. Its cheap at only 1,069 baht a month including VAT.

For work, testing etc. I use CSLoxInfo's ECO-TTT 256/128 kbit page which costs 1,610.00 baht a month including VAT. It does NOT provide a static IP address but it does provide a legitmate public routed IP unlike Hi-Net (T-Speed).

Hi-Net is certainly faster but not as stable as ECO-TTT and Hi-Net has a number of restrictions in place including:

- Private IP assignments in the 172.16.0.0 space.

- Block IPSec/L2TP based VPN's

- Block SIP, H.323 and other VoIP Internet phone protocols

- Force users through their Application and Content Networking System Software (e.g. http://202.47.247.146)

- Due to the private IP assignments ICMP traffic is blocked/filtered.

Hi-Net's infrastructure is A grade and is comprised of high-end Cisco equitpment and for those of us in Chiang Mai, we end up on an OC3 (155 mbit optical carrier) direct to Bangkok. This, plus the forced cache and restrictions on protocols used helps keep the system fairly unsaturated. I have noticed down time in the last couple days BUT I've been advised that major upgrades are being done on several major DSLAM's in and around Chiang Mai.

ECO-TTT links directly into the CSLoxInfo backbone via the local CNX infrastructure (and with this come the usual bottlenecks) BUT there are currently no restrictions on protocol use and no forced proxy.

Lastly, the ECO-TTT user ratio is 10:1 where as the Hi-Net ratio is 50:1. If you take some time to calculate this out:

>> ECO-TTT = 256 kbit (32 kbyte), 10:1 = 25.6 kbit (3.2 kbyte) guaranteed to a user.

>> Hi-Net = 2048 kbit (256 kbyte), 50:1 = 40.96 kbit (5.12 kbyte) guaranteed to a user.

Of course, these calculations are EXTREMELY flexable as its very unlikely that all 10:1 or 50:1 users will be on at a given time and/or that they will ALL be saturating the link.

I am quite impressed with TT&T (who support both the ECO-TTT and Hi-Net systems). Their technical support is great and their infrastructure impressive.

TOT, on the other hand, have a (dare I say) terrible technical support and no one at their Airport Plaza or Kad Suan Kaew office seems to have any idea whats happening with anything.

Hope this info is helpful...

m.

A couple other things...

(1) Up-to-date information on ADSL options and promotions in Thailand can be found at www.adslthailand.com.

(2) For those of you using Hi-Net, you can use VCI/33 or VCI/66. TT&T is currently supporting Hi-Net connections on both Virtual Channel Identifiers to their ATM backbone. I have been told that VCI/33 use will be disabled in the next two weeks.

(3) I hear a lot of people recommend and use the McAfee bandwidth test but I'd also like to recommend:

>> http://www.beelinebandwidthtest.com

>> http://www.md3v.com/premeter.php

Both of the above testers are far simpler than McAfee's and generally give more realistic results.

m.

I am actually movinh to CM next year with my family and renting a place,Is it best to get a Dial up or a Cable system?I have just bought myself a new Sony Vaio with Wireless G connnection,Would sort of problems do you think i could or would have for accesssing the net?

Ps Just did a check and i am on 729 kbs in the UK.Looks like i am going to be a little out of pocket or dissappointed.

We've only been here a month, but my enquiries suggested AsiaNet were the only people in CM doing cable.

The gentleman in the office speaks good English, though I don't have his E-mail address.

He drew the area covered by cable onto a map for me.

The area on the east is bounded by the Ping River.

On the South by the Superhighway.

To the west it starts in the south following the Ring Road, then goes west along Suthep Road to include part of CMU, going back to the Superhighway at about the level of Soi 17.

To the North is a bit vague. It cuts across from the Superhighway where it crosses Huay Kaew Rd, to Chang Phuak Rd, then followsRattanakosin Rd to the bridge.

He also said the network was extending quite quickly, and, in particular to the North west.

Their ADSL service is not quite up & running yet. It's was still being tested last week.

I understand Vonage is basically for North American useage. Our main interests are in phoning UK and Oz.

http://www.vonage.com/intrates.php

it is a better deal for North American users, but still only 3cents and 4cents a minute to landlines in Oz and UK and its perfect sound quality. No PC needed.

I'm surprised the UK doesn't have a Vonage copycat yet.

(3) I hear a lot of people recommend and use the McAfee bandwidth test but I'd also like to recommend:

>> http://www.beelinebandwidthtest.com

>> http://www.md3v.com/premeter.php

http://www.beelinebandwidthtest.com/top/

How do you get a 5161K/s connection???? Makes us all here in Chiang Mai with our 'high speed DSL' look a little pathetic.