Adsl In Chiang Mai

ChiangMaiThai

Its not unusual for corporates to have 5-10+ mbit connections, the #1 speed listed:

- 203.177.73.182 5329 K/s 07:47:56

Comes from:

| 16 | | 203.177.73.182 | - | ?(Philippines) | +08:00 | 251 | Roma Mia Pizza

Some lucky Pizza Shop in the Phillipines :o

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not unusual for corporates to have 5-10+ mbit connections, the #1 speed listed:

Comes from:

| 16 | | 203.177.73.182 | - | ?(Philippines) | +08:00 | 251 | Roma Mia Pizza

A pizza shop in the phillipines as a 5mbit connection? Hmm.

Out of curiousity, is this even offered to corporations in thailand who are willing to pay?

I will be living moving to Chiang Mai at Christmas and would go crazy without my high-speed internet. However I will not be living in the city. I will be in a village a few miles outside of Sarapee. Will any of the providers you talk about in this thread be able to offer a connection that far from the city? If not is there any alternatives, or will it have to be a normal dial-up?

Thanks Chris

Call TT&T and see what they have to say. There's always satellite. And then there's cable from TRUE, but you'll have to contact them for coverage info.

Comes from:

| 16  |    | 203.177.73.182  | - | ?(Philippines)    | +08:00 | 251 | Roma Mia Pizza

A pizza shop in the phillipines as a 5mbit connection? Hmm.

Out of curiousity, is this even offered to corporations in thailand who are willing to pay?

I don't know, but I see no reason why it shouldn´t be available in newly constructed Bangkok condos and office buildings. It is just a matter of digging down cable just as with ADSL.

The Swedish government has invested in a backbone network with real high speed fiber optic cable to cover the whole country (there is a connection point outside of every little city, and the municipality or private operators have the opportunity to take it from there). Very convenient, but may require a too large investment for it to be viable in Thailand?

Yes - its unusual about the Pizza Shop - but it could be a company similar to the Pizza Company here in Thailand, www.pizza.co.th which takes online orders and uses RAS services to keep its branch offices connected and syncronized.

5 mbit leased lines are available in Chiang Mai via Internet Thailand, but you'll pay through the nose for them and the QOS is extremely poor. The particular services are referred to as 'Corporate Node' and by default provide fractional T1's (DS0) OR 2 mbit links which you can build on.

A number of hotels in Chiang Mai are using BLB (bandwidth load balancing) with multiple ISP's (e.g. a 512kbit TOT link, 512 kbit Ji-Net, 512 kbit KSC) with BGP4 in order to maintain 99.99% uptime for their hotel reservation system/s. Using multiple ISP's and telco backends (e.g. TOT, TT&T, ADC) is a good idea as its rare that all of the ISP's will be down at once and most of the ISP's use different International carriers aside from the mess that CAT/IIG have in Bangkok.

Is TOT really offering ADSL with no connection charges? Would you need a phone line in order to get this TOT ADSL?

Even if you move a lot, you can keep hooking up with no connection charges?

Can you get it anywhere, even in Chiang Rai or Mae Sai or somewhere in the sticks?

Sorry if I sound ignorant, I am--have never had ADSL but definitely want to get it if I return to Thailand (as looks likely)

Thanks.

Would you need a phone line in order to get this TOT ADSL?

:o

Do you mean, 'Would you need a TOT phone line...?' ADSL of course comes in over the phone line. So you would need a TOT phone line. I believe coverage is still very limited to the city centers and immediate areas.

I haven't heard anything good about TOT.

TSpeed from TT&T at 1000 baht a month is a good deal. 100-400k

Also JiCompax from JiNet is a good deal at 2,500 a month. 100-200k, but works with all VoIP applications unlike TSpeed.

Both are TT&T requiring a TT&T phone line. Of course you have to check coverage areas with them first. You can switch phone lines from TOT to TT&T for around 4,000 baht I believe.

I think the only option for high speed internet outside the major cities is satellite.

After two months of waiting, TT&T has informed me that they can't install ADSL in my neighbourhood. This was after they first said they could, but they wanted to wait a couple of months first. They say my area (near CMU) is now over-subscribed and they won't install anymore. I guess that's better than having them install it and finding there's no speed because too many people are sharing the connection.

So I guess that's it for me, end of story, no ADSL for sabaijai :o

Get a TOT line installed and use TOT Dsl. Ive installed 2 in 2 different locations in the city and it works great. youll pay Install charges for phone but nothing for adsl install and only about 700 baht a month!

After two months of waiting, TT&T has informed me that they can't install ADSL in my neighbourhood. This was after they first said they could, but they wanted to wait a couple of months first. They say my area (near CMU) is now over-subscribed and they won't install anymore. I guess that's better than having them install it and finding there's no speed because too many people are sharing the connection.

So I guess that's it for me, end of story, no ADSL for sabaijai :o

Do you mean they won't install TSpeed or anything at all? There's still JiNet, CSLox, CMInternet all from TT&T. And then there's TRUE cable.

SBACM, how much does it cost to install a phone line?

ChiangMaiThai, I was under the impression ADSL came in over cable TV cables! Obviously I need to do more research.

If it's coming in over the phone, aren't the per minute phone charges going to make it very expensive? Or does it work differently?

Thanks.

Around 4000 baht takes about 2 weeks for line installed

Two weeks, or two months, or two years... :o

Totally depends on where you live. This ain't Bkk. and many places, even in the city, still lack telephone lines....Call the phone company yourself, or better yet, get someone with a clue to help you :D

ChiangMaiThai, I was under the impression ADSL came in over cable TV cables! Obviously I need to do more research.

If it's coming in over the phone, aren't the per minute phone charges going to make it very expensive? Or does it work differently?

Thanks.

Phone line question has been answered. Really need to talk to TT&T on that one. Hopefully you don't live in the middle of no where.

DSL comes in over the phone line, but doesn't use the same part of the line that voice uses. There's no per minute charges because you're not calling anywhere, you're just making use of the line for which you pay the ISP.

Actually, maybe someone else can answer this, but in the states if you have DSL, you can talk on the phone at the same time you're connected, but here, it disrupts the connection. Any idea why? Because its (A)DSL?

Cable is offered by TRUE. They're just past com plaza on the left.

I forgot to mention DSL from KSC also on a TT&T phone line. best just to go to the TT&T office and tell them your phone number and see what your options are. There's an office in Central Airport Plaza.

Good luck!

Actually, maybe someone else can answer this, but in the states if you have DSL, you can talk on the phone at the same time you're connected, but here, it disrupts the connection. Any idea why? Because its (A)DSL?

Do you have a filter on your phone line?

So I guess that's it for me, end of story, no ADSL for sabaijai  :o

Do you mean they won't install TSpeed or anything at all? There's still JiNet, CSLox, CMInternet all from TT&T. And then there's TRUE cable.

I had the original information sheet in my hand, which TT&T had given me two months ago, listing all of those options. They just said that ADSL was oversubscribed for my 'hood, didn't specify which service so I assumed all.

Maybe I should go back and specify KSC. I've heard at least two people say they had decent service from KSC. On the other hand, neither live in my area (near CMU & Wat U Mong).

So I guess that's it for me, end of story, no ADSL for sabaijai  :o

I had the original information sheet in my hand, which TT&T had given me two months ago, listing all of those options. They just said that ADSL was oversubscribed for my 'hood, didn't specify which service so I assumed all.

Maybe I should go back and specify KSC. I've heard at least two people say they had decent service from KSC. On the other hand, neither live in my area (near CMU & Wat U Mong).

Yeah, go to the KSC office more or less across from the zoo, give or take a kilometer. Also, you could try TRUE cable.

Do you have a filter on your phone line?

No and I imagine that's the problem. Where can I get one how much?

I got one at Pantip in BKK, maybe 200 to 300 THB. Look on the web under ADSL filter to find out what you need (just to make sure you get the right thing, it is standard equipment for DSL in Europe). Good luck, let me know if you don't get it.

Thanks. Well, how is the True Cable? What I am looking for is price/value and low installation charge. Don't care that much about speed as long as it's reasonable. Dial-up type speed is okay with me, but dialup would be too expensive with the per minute phone charges.

I am coming back to thailand but don't know if I will live there long, as it might be too difficult with all the new visa restrictions and higher expenses and endless crackdowns, so I might decide to go to Vietnam. I live on the net. I don't watch TV, hence don't care about cable TV. I don't use the phone except my cell phone occasionally, so I don't really need a phone. Since I might move after a short time, I value low installation charges or the ability to move and then reconnect without having to pay a whole new install charge.

I also might very well be living long term in a hotel. What do you think would be best for me--cable? ADSL? Net cafe? (actually i hate using cafes, i'm on the net 10 hours a day and hate all the music they play endlessly and repetitively in those places) Thanks.

Thanks. Well, how is the True Cable? What I am looking for is price/value and low installation charge. Don't care that much about speed as long as it's reasonable. Dial-up type speed is okay with me, but dialup would be too expensive with the per minute phone charges.

I am coming back to thailand but don't know if I will live there long, as it might be too difficult with all the new visa restrictions and higher expenses and endless crackdowns, so I might decide to go to Vietnam. I live on the net. I don't watch TV, hence don't care about cable TV. I don't use the phone except my cell phone occasionally, so I don't really need a phone. Since I might move after a short time, I value low installation charges or the ability to move and then reconnect without having to pay a whole new install charge.

I also might very well be living long term in a hotel. What do you think would be best for me--cable? ADSL? Net cafe? (actually i hate using cafes, i'm on the net 10 hours a day and hate all the music they play endlessly and repetitively in those places) Thanks.

Cable has high installatin charge I believe.

Don't think you're going to get any high speed internet in a hotel unless its a 5 star hotel.

best bet would be an apartment with a direct phone line (TT&T) and then apply for TSpeed (1000 baht a month).

Report back on my TT&T JI net 512/256 ADSL connection, 2 km north of CMU.

Its been in for two weeks now.

No down time.

Average of 15 downloads measured by Beeline is 26KB/sec, min 20 max 30.

The connection is shared with ten, and costs B6000 pm. Installation & modem were free.

Almost saved the B6000 for the first month on phone calls and internet cafe fees alone.

Dial-up type speed is okay with me, but dialup would be too expensive with the per minute phone charges.

There are no per-minute phone charges in Thailand for local calls on a land line.

Yeah, if you don't care about speed, you could just use the 1222 number for a few hundred baht a month.

Thanks, I didn't know you could have unlimited local calling in Thailand. So I wonder how much an unlimited dialup account would cost?

And I would also have the installation charge for a phone line, which is what, $100?

That seems awfully high for Thailand. And a couple hundred baht a month would allow me unlimited local calling?

CMT, did you mean 600 baht? You can't be paying 6000 baht a month for internet!!??!

Heck, I know cafes in CM where you can get it for 10 baht an hour.

And a couple hundred baht a month would allow me unlimited local calling?

Clarification: It's not unlimited local calls for a set monthly fee. Local calls are a flat-rate of three baht each and a local call is unmetered (i.e. each local call can be for an unlimited amount of time).

Thanks, I didn't know you could have unlimited local calling in Thailand. So I wonder how much an unlimited dialup account would cost?

And I would also have the installation charge for a phone line, which is what, $100?

That seems awfully high for Thailand. And a couple hundred baht a month would allow me unlimited local calling?

CMT, did you mean 600 baht? You can't be paying 6000 baht a month for internet!!??!

Heck, I know cafes in CM where you can get it for 10 baht an hour.

Dial up- There's a 1222 number you can use- 300 baht a month for unlimited internet. But of course you can't connect half the time and you lose your connection sometimes.

CSLoxinfo dial up 750 baht for 40 hours I believe. That's relatively good quality dial up.

I pay 2500 a month for 512k shared with 10 people unlimited. I usually get speeds of 100k to 200k.

Paying 6000 a month for DSL in Thailand is not uncommon at all. If you want anything close to true high speed internet (far more than 100k to 200k), you'll be paying that or more unless you're in BKK.

The one exception is TSpeed. 1000 baht a month. You might get speeds from 80 to 400. If all you do is look at websites and send e-mail its fine, but it has some disadvantages since no real IP address.

If you live in a house or apartment in Chiang Mai, thery're gonna have a phone. But you want to make sure you have a direct line, (not a phone that cuts you off every 5 minutes as the cheaper apartments do). You just have to find out if its TT&T or TOT. If you're on dial up, doesn't matter. If you want DSL, have to check if you're in the coverage area first with the relevant phone company.

Some apartment buildings in CM now provide cable internet (I am not sure of how many share the same connection and what the basic speed is though).

I went into this tidy-looking apartment building on Nimmanhemin Road where the monthly rent is 9000/month with unlimited use of cable internet. Might be just the thing you are looking for. If you're interested I could find out the address for you.

If you are happy with a slow connection (unlimited) you can get it through GPRS with many new mobile phones and by signing up for a monthly "promotion", meaning you pay 250 baht per month for in-country phone calls which gives you 50 minutes of calls, and the calls on top of that are 3 baht per minute. To this deal you can add AIS GPRS for 500 baht per month, giving you unlimited BUT SLOW Internet. Note that SMS are not included in the 250 baht, and that all international calls and SMS are on a separate bill from the national post and telegraph authority... whatever they are called, can't remember.

CSLoxinfo dialup refill is good value - it is actually 750 baht for 63 hours, not 40 hours. Reliable, does not disconnect like the cheaper dialup deals that use 1222 (not to be confused with Pizza Company and Burger King's ordering hotline, 112) :o

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I should know what the name of the place is by now, shouldn't I? Unfortunately I dont... Haven't been around those parts for a while.

Anyway, at a TRUE promotion yesterday at Airport Plaza, I signed up for 512/256 TRUE Cable. First obstacle is to ask installation permission from my landlord, if he is ok with it I will go ahead and install.

The installation fee is 2000 baht. They promised the installation would be done within 7 days (we'll see :o ). They also charge a one-time fee per meter cable from the nearest connection point in their grid, which I cannot remember at the moment - 20 or 70 baht (makes a huge difference if it is a few hundred meters).

You have to sign up for a year, and if you cancel the contract before this year is up, you have to pay a 2000 baht fine. You are provided with a modem, but you do not own it until after one year of service.

The monthly cost for 512/256 is 1050 baht + VAT 7% = 1123,50 baht.

I will report back to let you know how it goes. If anyone else uses it already, please post in about your experiences.