Telephone Sex Operator Axed

george

Telephone sex operator axed

TOT revokes contract, fines firm offering illegal chat-line services

BANGKOK: -- Following a police raid on a sex-line company and the arrest of a number of female students working for illegal telephone sex services via the 1900 audio-text line, TOT yesterday revoked a concession granted to Thai Televoice and fined it Bt3 million for breaching the contract.

Nathee Sukolrat, acting chairman of the TOT board, told a press conference yesterday that TOT would also file lawsuits against the firm for compensation and check if any TOT officials were involved in the wrongdoing.

The cancellation was because this service became a social problem and TOT acted for society's benefit, he said.

TOT also requested that another 13 companies running chat services on the 1900 line be replaced with other services by July 31, he said. However, those who believed their services were useful to society and wished to remain could appeal to TOT on a case-by-case basis. TOT would, in the next few days, hold a meeting with the 13 companies to formulate guidelines, he added.

Nathee insisted that chat services were not the most profitable of the many services provided at the 1900 line. He said the most profitable were horoscope services - for instance, the Mor Lak Fun Thong programme earned the fortune-teller up to Bt400,000 a month.

He added that the 1900 line services yielded Bt120 million last year and this amount was split so that the operators earned 60 per cent and TOT took 40 per cent. The Bt120 million was just 0.16 per cent of TOT's total income last year.

Meanwhile, Ekkalak Lumchomkhae, a senior official of the Mirror Foundation, welcomed the contract cancellation but said the foundation would closely watch TOT to see if it implemented its decision and made changes.

Ekkalak said the foundation had been monitoring this issue since last year when a girl went missing after chatting on the 1900 line. Statistics from 2004 to 2006 showed 10 out of 200 girls reported missing had disappeared after chatting on the 1900 line.

The foundation had tried to contact the chat-line companies about the missing children with no result, so it passed the issue on to related agencies and last July requested that TOT revoke concessions granted to chat-line companies. TOT had not responded until this contract cancellation.

An informed source said the sex-line services were advertised via entertainment magazines, sport newspapers, websites and television.

The sex-line companies arranged for female operators aged between 18 and 25 to take calls in three shifts a day. Each shift had 15 operators, but this number could increase to 30 during peak periods.

Each operator - earning an average of Bt250 to Bt300 a day - had to talk with customers for at least 200 minutes per day and if she reached 300 minutes, she would get a bonus. The service charged Bt13 a minute while other audio-text services normally charged from Bt6 per minute.

--The Nation 2007-07-04

Whenever I hear or read the term "phonesex" I think of the Southpark episode where some morbidly obese woman wearing hair curlers and a ratty bathrobe is sitting in her trailer talking dirty to a sucker.

Well, at least for once the sexpats of Pattaya can't be blamed. It was a service targeted at Thailand's very own homegrown market segment of sexually dysfunctional losers.

As much as I admire the business' entrepreneurial spirit, I do have to agree with the "public service" motive for closing the operation . If the minimum billing minutes for an operator was 200, then that means that the base yield from the operation was around 2600B per operator. Yet, the operator was only paid about 250B at that level. Talk about exploitation and a ripoff.

Edited by geriatrickid

sexually dysfunctional losers?

Please consult a psychiatric reference text.

Users of telephone services like the one shut down demonstrate many of the following characteristics; sexual fears or inhibitions; problems finding partners; uncertainty about sexual identity; a history of emotional or sexual abuse; significant relationship problems; depression, anxiety and other emotional problems. The aforementioned are a behavioural component of sexual dysfunction.

I added the word losers because they certainly are not prime dating material. If you were a nice quality girl would you want to date a guy that drooled into his telephone?

In respect to the young students that were on the lines, although one can laugh it off, the job does have an impact and can lead to feelings of shame and guilt which can in turn lead to the operator' s own emotional problems. This in and of itself was another valid reason to shut it down. Older women usually do this work in the west because they are not as susceptible to burn out and are better able to treat it as just a job.

Users of telephone services like the one shut down demonstrate many of the following characteristics; sexual fears or inhibitions; problems finding partners; uncertainty about sexual identity; a history of emotional or sexual abuse; significant relationship problems; depression, anxiety and other emotional problems. The aforementioned are a behavioural component of sexual dysfunction.

I added the word losers because they certainly are not prime dating material. If you were a nice quality girl would you want to date a guy that drooled into his telephone?

In respect to the young students that were on the lines, although one can laugh it off, the job does have an impact and can lead to feelings of shame and guilt which can in turn lead to the operator' s own emotional problems. This in and of itself was another valid reason to shut it down. Older women usually do this work in the west because they are not as susceptible to burn out and are better able to treat it as just a job.

Gee Geriatrcikid, you might have stumbled on a great new service you can provide here in LOS...starting a chat line to help sexually dysfunctional losers. Errrm...but maybe that's what Thai Televoice was also trying to accomplish in its own way. :o

Edited by farang prince

Well, at least for once the sexpats of Pattaya can't be blamed. It was a service targeted at Thailand's very own homegrown market segment of sexually dysfunctional losers.

And just where do you see "For english, please press 2," in that news article?

Everyone knows that every local boy is a speciment of perfection sexually and they have ofcourse no need for phonesex-services.

They high earnings or multitude of companies starting up to offer these services must be targeting farangs only...in thai. So that would be farangs going native...per the other topic.

What do you mean to "consult a psychiatric reference text"?

I find what you have posted in regards to the background of these users rubbish.

I think you will find plenty of normal people using these services. Of course I have no idea what the word "normal" means.

:o beware ! too much phone sex may lead to hearing aids!

Lol.....

Never ceases to amaze me. There is Patpong, Nana and Cowboy and all the other seedy places with all kinds of real things on sale. The virtual one gets shut down.

Maybe certain people need to get their priorities right, or, alternatively, maybe certain people have.

I have heard it said that most sex workers take the view: "It is dirty work, and dangerous, but the money is good".

This work may not be physically dangerous, but neither is the money good. At approximately one baht per minute for their performance, these are poorly-paid play-actors.

:D beware ! too much phone sex may lead to hearing aids!

My mother told me too much ****ing would make me blind........

and I do have to wear glasses these days.

So the next generation will be deaf and blind. :o

What do you mean to "consult a psychiatric reference text"?

I find what you have posted in regards to the background of these users rubbish.

I think you will find plenty of normal people using these services. Of course I have no idea what the word "normal" means.

sawatdeekrub.yes psychiatry or counceling would be useful. problem is Thai local culture oppresses natural sexual developement.many bi-sex thai guys get hangups about being labeled "gay" others go the long road and experiment to make a few hundred bht.1 thai guy looks 4 gay encounters with ferangs but only via telephone also in desparation uses this service mentioned.Many westerners visit thailand 4 sexual encounters,however, the ferang dont realise how screwd up many thais are in private thinking.1thai farther tolled his son when his son was only 14yrs( if you become gay_ I'll kill you) hardly helpful.Now this guy is confused cos deep within he is attracted to samesex, but cannot allow personal contact with another.What should be closed down are the imfamous thai sauners where thousands of thai guys go to meet ferangs in exchange 4 money or presents.

I was amazzed when tolled by many thai ppl that the majority of thai failies look down on ferangs as animals- sexualy perverted.depressing life without education.