Health-hazard Haze Returns To Southern Thailand

Mid

Health-hazard haze returns to southern Thailand

Saturday 7 July 2007 01:10:03 PM (GMT+7:00)

SATUN, July 6 (TNA) – Thailand's Pollution Control Department has dispatched a mobile air quality monitoring unit to the southernmost province of Satun, because it is necessary to monitor its air quality closely after the skies there have been clogged with smog from forest fires in Indonesia for a third consecutive day.

MCOT Public Company Limited

Every year at this time (as the winds blow out of the SW) Southern Thailand gets this Indonesian haze. Singapore and Malaysia are worse. One year, it was so bad the haze reached Chumpon. I could smell burning matter on the air and visibility here was less than 1km.

You'd think they would bloody learn by now!

Indonesia predicts much lighter forest fire this year

July 16, 2007

Forest fire in Indonesia was forecast to be much lighter this year due to the greater efforts to combat the fires, Minister of Forestry Malam Sambat Kaban said on Monday.

The efforts was mainly targeted to reduce burning during the land clearing, which is the major cause of the frequent forest fire in the country, said the minister.

Source: Xinhua

• 2 weeks later...

A mobile air quality measuring unit eh, I doubt they would have been able to see adequately enough to be able to drive the ###### thing in Chiang Mai earlier this year, that's why I moved here last month. Don't tell me I'm in for more of the same.