Your Favorite Pie Please!

Planning to make some nice pies tomorrow and need you ideas please!

Beef, pork, vegetarian, chicken?

Guess I will end up with beef and some veggies in it, served with french fries and a salad.

Thx for your input!

Gerd

Mine is a chicken pot pie with a buttermilk crust.

Chicken Pot Pie

2 potatoes peeled and cooked

2/3 cup frozen peas

2 cans cream of chicken soup

2 carrots peeled and cooked

2 tablespoons frozen onion

2 cups of cooked chicken

dash of salt and pepper and Msg

In a bowl combine all cooked vegetables and chicken add the cream of chicken soup and seasoning. The mixture should be thick but not to thick if the mixture is to thick add some milk to the mixture. Scoop the mixture into individual pie pans. Use the following recipe to make the crust. Roll out the dough thin and place on top then brush with butter. Bake in a 375 F oven for 15 to 25 minutes or until it is heated thru and the crust is golden brown.

Buttermilk Pot Pie Crust

1/2 cup butter

1/4 cup club soda

1 beaten egg

3/4 cup butter milk

1 teaspoon salt

5 cups Bisquick Biscuit Mix

And in anticipation of those who can't find Bisquick, here is the recipe...

Bisquick

10 cups all-purpose flour

3/8 cup baking powder

1 tsp. cream of tartar

1 1/4 cup powdered milk

1 1/2 Tbls. salt

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1 lb. (2 cups) shortening

GREEK MEAT PIE

1 lb. ground beef chuck, lean

1 lb. ground lamb, lean

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 onions, chopped

1 1/2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1 teaspoon oregano, crushed

1 cup tomato sauce

pinch of cinnamon

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese

1/2 cup butter, melted

12 sheets Phyllo pastry

Just to be different.

Also make standard steak, chicken and sausage pies. They are always a hit with my boys.

:o

Scotch pie

JR Texas: Oh........you Brits........I saw this and was going to tell you about my favorite pie......chocolate cream pie. Scotch pie? Is that a pie shell filled with scotch? No need to answer......going back to my side of the pond. :o

Pies can be both sweet and savoury!

One of my favs is made with a good pastry, a base in the pie of cous-cous and above that filled with chicken and veg with a creamy filling - filling can be made with cream, chicken stock and herbs (add your favourite) all topped with the good pastry. Yummy!

You need to sear the chicken in a pan with onion and garlic, finely chopped.

So easy and so tasty.

Buckwheat, a million thanks. I went to buy a box of Bisquick today (Mall, Korat) and they had none. I was shocked, they used to have it just a couple weeks ago. I snagged the recipe you posted for Bisquick to meet my emergency needs.

No, not kidney. They taste like weewee. A gorgeous tender beef and mushroom with a suet crust. Heaven.

Personally, I've never tasted weewee, so I'll have to take your word on that one. (Sorry -- please don't get upset. I think we all know what you meant -- I just couldn't leave that line alone without making a joke.) :o

But seriously, as far as fruit/sweet pies are concerned, I love rhubarb, and pumpkin is pretty high up on my list, as well. Which brings me to a question, has anybody ever tried to make pumpkin pie using the pumpkins found here in Thailand? They are quite different from the orange "jack-o-lantern" variety found in other parts of the world.

Edited by pattyboy

Which brings me to a question, has anybody ever tried to make pumpkin pie using the pumpkins found here in Thailand? They are quite different from the orange "jack-o-lantern" variety found in other parts of the world.

While I have never actually made pumpkin pie with the local pumpkin, I'm dead certain it will work if you are able to puree the cooked pumpkin well enough. I have had dessert pumpkin soup that had a flavor very close to that of pumpkin pie; it just needed a bit of cinnamon and cloves to be there. Squash and sweet potato are both substitutes for pumpkin that make decent pies. Squash is a bit less sweet, sweet potato is a bit more sweet. So it will work if you get the texture right. Make sure it's as thick as the canned pumpkin so the pie will set as it cooks.

And do remember that pumpkin pie is basically a custard pie and needs to be kept refrigerated!!!!

Which brings me to a question, has anybody ever tried to make pumpkin pie using the pumpkins found here in Thailand? They are quite different from the orange "jack-o-lantern" variety found in other parts of the world.

Yep. I made pumpkin pies from the Thai pumpkins, but so much work! You need a machete to chop them and then digging out the seeds and peeling. Boiling forever (actually, if you mike them it saves alot of time). Sweet potato pie is tastier and way easier. We have a thread here on making them.

While I have never actually made pumpkin pie with the local pumpkin, I'm dead certain it will work if you are able to puree the cooked pumpkin well enough. I have had dessert pumpkin soup that had a flavor very close to that of pumpkin pie; it just needed a bit of cinnamon and cloves to be there. Squash and sweet potato are both substitutes for pumpkin that make decent pies. Squash is a bit less sweet, sweet potato is a bit more sweet. So it will work if you get the texture right. Make sure it's as thick as the canned pumpkin so the pie will set as it cooks.

And do remember that pumpkin pie is basically a custard pie and needs to be kept refrigerated!!!!

Refrigerated? Never did, but then they never lasted long enough to need refrigeration at my house. :o

Found an enamel pie tin in Big C the other day.

Make a minced beef stew with lots of onion and a little carrot. Thicken and pour into tin.

Slice several potatoes paper thin, layer onto the beef.

Dob a little butter on top, bake until top layers of potato fluff up and turn crisp.

So easy.