Your Favorite Pie Please!

Which brings me to a question, has anybody ever tried to make pumpkin pie using the pumpkins found here in Thailand? They are quite different from the orange "jack-o-lantern" variety found in other parts of the world.

While I have never actually made pumpkin pie with the local pumpkin, I'm dead certain it will work if you are able to puree the cooked pumpkin well enough. I have had dessert pumpkin soup that had a flavor very close to that of pumpkin pie; it just needed a bit of cinnamon and cloves to be there. Squash and sweet potato are both substitutes for pumpkin that make decent pies. Squash is a bit less sweet, sweet potato is a bit more sweet. So it will work if you get the texture right. Make sure it's as thick as the canned pumpkin so the pie will set as it cooks.

And do remember that pumpkin pie is basically a custard pie and needs to be kept refrigerated!!!!

Thanks cathyy -- your advice makes sense that a lot of how well it will turn out has to do with texture and using the right spices.

Which brings me to a question, has anybody ever tried to make pumpkin pie using the pumpkins found here in Thailand? They are quite different from the orange "jack-o-lantern" variety found in other parts of the world.

Yep. I made pumpkin pies from the Thai pumpkins, but so much work! You need a machete to chop them and then digging out the seeds and peeling. Boiling forever (actually, if you mike them it saves alot of time). Sweet potato pie is tastier and way easier. We have a thread here on making them.

While I have never actually made pumpkin pie with the local pumpkin, I'm dead certain it will work if you are able to puree the cooked pumpkin well enough. I have had dessert pumpkin soup that had a flavor very close to that of pumpkin pie; it just needed a bit of cinnamon and cloves to be there. Squash and sweet potato are both substitutes for pumpkin that make decent pies. Squash is a bit less sweet, sweet potato is a bit more sweet. So it will work if you get the texture right. Make sure it's as thick as the canned pumpkin so the pie will set as it cooks.

And do remember that pumpkin pie is basically a custard pie and needs to be kept refrigerated!!!!

Refrigerated? Never did, but then they never lasted long enough to need refrigeration at my house. :o

More good advice!

It sounds like dealing with these strange looking Thai pumpkins is a bit of trouble, so maybe it's time to look into sweet potato/squash pies instead.