Chiang Rai Airport To Mae Sai

Big A

Hi all up there

I am planning to do a visa run to Mae Sai soon. I know that buses leave the bus station for Mae Sai every 30 mins or so, but is there a taxi service from the airport to Mae Sai, wait for my border crossing, and return to Jet Yod Rd area. If so, how much would it be?

Thanx in advance

Big A

(ex Chiang Raier)

Those prices quoted by traveller2000.com are way, WAY out of line.

Just take a tuk tuk straight out to the superhighway (be sure to indicate that you want to be dropped off across the street on the northbound side, so say something like "ao roht meh pai Mae Sai, krup"), then after a wait of no more than about 20 min, flag down (don't wave but instead jut your hand twice toward the street in front of you as it approaches) the local transit bus to Mae Sai Bus Station (1.5 hrs, 33B), then catch the short connecting transfer to the border via one of the waiting red songthaeos (10 min, 8B). Last return bus to leave Mai Sai for CR bus station is something like 6pm, so watch the clock. Be sure to check the latest schedule, also. My advice is to not wait for the last one but to give yourself plenty of time to return. Remember to bring 500B or 10 USD for the Myanmar-side stamps.

The price for the tuk tuk from the airport out to the superhighway will have to be negotiated of course but don't pay more than 60B for the short trip. Also, there may not be one there waiting when you arrive so have the Information Desk call for one or you can just wait a bit if you're not in a hurry.

(Note: you probably already know most of this but I am posting the info in detail as a reference for others who may not be familiar with local prices and schedules).

Edited by TakingAVacation

10 dollars? Did the price double? It's been a while since I did that run on a Air Asia deal. Very pleasent all round.

Don't miss out on the bakery opposite the bus station. Great food and some of the profits go to schools (or some such charity).

Take a break from DVD shopping and take a tour on one of three wheel tuk tuks. A couple of temples and a an impressive stupa. Nice.

Thanx to all for your input.

As soon as I wrote the thread, I just remembered that there is a taxi counter in the airport on the left just before you exit. Do you think they would do it for B1,000 (return trip)?

10 dollars? Did the price double?

Yep. Been at that price since late last year.

Don't miss out on the bakery opposite the bus station. Great food and some of the profits go to schools (or some such charity).

You mean the one across from CR Bus Station near the 7-11, called "Baan Cheewit Mai" (or "New Life House"). Proceeds go to help needy orphans in the area. Very good cause and very good bakery items, too! One of the best in town. Most locals aren't aware of it, but this place also has a quiet upstairs section where you can chill and read the paper or watch TV while you munch your muffins. Check it out.

While Mae Sai sightseeing is ultimately limited to one's visa-run schedule, I agree that Wat Phra That Doi Wao (yeah, "wow" is the appropriate word!) deserves a visit if you have time. Sweeping views of all of Tachileik and parts of Mae Sai. And often a nice, cool breeze to go with it. Access is via the small soi lined with street vendors just past the Chinese temple, heading north toward the border area. It's a very busy little soi with lots of people going in and out, so you can't miss it. Also, instead of walking up the oversized, stone/concrete stairs (too exhausting in the heat and humidity, IMO) I recommend taking one of the waiting motorcycle taxis (at the base of the stairs) to the top. Only 10B for the short, one-minute ride but well worth it. Then, walk back down the winding access road on the other side (that the taxis took back to the bottom). Easier (and safer) than risking a sprained ankle on those huge steps. Also, bring something to drink, as there may not be any vendors up there. The benches for chillin' and taking in the view are over on the north side, facing Tachileik and the river below. This is a 'must-see' while visiting Mae Sai.

Edited by TakingAVacation

I know which one you're talking about but I have no idea on a price for hire to the border and back.

To give you an idea of their prices, they want 300B for a one-way trip to my house which is about 10km from the airport. Mae Sai is about 68km from CR.

You do the math...

Thanx to all for your input.

As soon as I wrote the thread, I just remembered that there is a taxi counter in the airport on the left just before you exit. Do you think they would do it for B1,000 (return trip)?