Fishing In The Ocean

EnSvenskTiger

I would love to do some fishing in the Indian Ocean on my next visit. The species I am after is Red Snapper, Portuguese Mackerel and Tuna. Any one experienced in this? What to use and how. Casting rod or angling? Is it better to bring own equipment or buy locally etc

Regards

Viking

Viking.......

A fish is a fish, in any ocean or sea.

Tuna are pelagic types that cruise the open ocean and normally, far offshore, in the cobalt blue waters.

They often are found around seamounts that rise up off the ocean floor that create upwelling currents and bring in nutrients from the ocean floor.

These nutrients are the beginning of the food chain......small fish are attracted, which in turn attract the predators.

Tactics include trolling artificial lures with vinyl or "real" feathers. Commonly known as "tuna feathers"

Green and yellow, purple and black and green and black are good color choices. Also, what is called a "cedar plug" rates as a top tuna lure.

Troll about 7-9 mph behind the boat, between the 3rd and 4th wake that the boat makes. Once a school has been located by trolling, they can then be taken by using "bait", either live or cut.....squid is like candy to them.

Red snappers are more of an inshore fish, meaning they are not normally deep ocean fish. They like reefs and seamounts between 100' and 300' deep. Mostly bottom dwellers but often suspended in the water column.

They feed on crustaceans and small fish near the bottom.

Chunks of cut bait, like squid are very effective. Althought they will also take an artificial lure that is jigged up and down and even more effective, if trimmed with a piece of squid.

Rig up a 2 hook rig with sufficient weight to keep the bait at or near the bottom and an artificial lure of sufficient weight to stay close to the bottom.

You will need local knowledge where these underwater seamounts, or "high spots" are, or a boat equipped with a depth finder for inshore reefs.

Surely a local boat captain will know the hot spots to begin the hunt.

Look for scum lines in the water, pieces of trash floating, birds diving and circling, floating seaweed, bait fish in the water and any piece of water that just "looks" different than the surrounding water.

Again, a local captain will, or should know this.

If you can, use your own equipment. You will need a strong rod and a conventional reel loaded with 30# to 40# test line to land any tuna of any size. They are super strong fish!!!!

A decent sized tuna will "smoke" a cheap spinning reel and a whippy rod with no backbone.

If your limited to boat provided equipment, look for a rod that has some backbone and not with a floppy tip.

Conventional over spinning reels and line that is free of nicks and cuts.

Not sure what you mean by "casting rod or angling"....sorry

Hopes this helps......and good luck!!!!

Krap khun kap!

Many good advice and information there.

It’s just strange that I never have seen a falang doing some fishing in the ocean so far and the locals seem to rely on nets for their fish.

What I was thinking about when I mentioned casting is standing on shore and using a rod to get the lure out to the fish as I don’t want to use commercial fishing boats and trolling behind a fan tail boat is impossible. Can it be done? Are there any local fish that can be taken with hook and bait from the cliffs?

Krap khun kap!

Many good advice and information there.

It's just strange that I never have seen a falang doing some fishing in the ocean so far and the locals seem to rely on nets for their fish.

one reason might be that under the current conditions, the FARANGS are worried they will need a WORK PERMIT for that :o

Edited by siam2007