Bangkok Builds Bicycle Routes To Cut Global Warming

george

Bangkok builds bicycle routes to cut global warming

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is conducting surveys to build more bicycle trails to promote riding bikes and other environmentally friendly vehicles as part of a campaign to help fight global warming, Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin said Saturday.

Leading a large gathering of famous singers and actors, the Bangkok governor and a procession of assorted celebrities rode their bicycles through busy traffic from scenic Narathiwatratnakarin Road along Sathorn Road to Wireless Road and Lumpini Park as part of a campaign to urge Bangkokians to ride bicycles pass through the traffic and reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) greenhouse gas emissions, which contributes to global warming.

The governor said that City Hall will build and map more bicycle routes to promote saving energy, the habit of healthful exercise, and visits to tourist sites along the bike trails.

The BMA also plans to boost the number of bicycle parking lots at elevated train stations and subway stations to encourage the public to use the metropolitan areas' expanding mass transit system, Governor Apirak said.

City Hall has been conducting activities designed to promote reducing global warming on the ninth of every month. On Monday (July 9), the metropolitan administration will launch activities focusing on switching off car engines while parked and reducing dust.

A "Lights Off" campaign was carried out in May in the capital to raise public awareness of the contribution of electric light to severe global warming. Not all of Bangkok's at least 10 million residents turned off their lights, but enough joined the nighttime activity to vividly demonstrate life without light.

--TNA 2007-07-07

:D ...so rich sons of ex beauty queens can recklessly drive their black Mercedes in cycle lanes, too, and mow down a few cyclists when they tire of bus passengers? Oh, and (Gof forbid) will Bangkok's taxis be allowed to use cycle lanes as they are in some other cities?

I'm an avid aging cyclist, and I'd love to see this plan become reality, but, like all other half-baked transport schemes in Thailand, fear for the safety of those foolhardy enough to venture out on two wheels anywhere in Bangkok.

Those arrogant mobile-phone-toting, tanked-up-on-Mekong maniacs who pass as motorists would see them off, if 'Black Merc' driving youths didn't get there first! :o

:D ...so rich sons of ex beauty queens can recklessly drive their black Mercedes in cycle lanes, too, and mow down a few cyclists when they tire of bus passengers? Oh, and (Gof forbid) will Bangkok's taxis be allowed to use cycle lanes as they are in some other cities?

I'm an avid aging cyclist, and I'd love to see this plan become reality, but, like all other half-baked transport schemes in Thailand, fear for the safety of those foolhardy enough to venture out on two wheels anywhere in Bangkok.

Those arrogant mobile-phone-toting, tanked-up-on-Mekong maniacs who pass as motorists would see them off, if 'Black Merc' driving youths didn't get there first! :o

Thailand can never be right! Can never win! The only thing thailand has accomplished I think is to have provided a place for farangs to boost their egos!

And I am quite sure I am 100% correct with this post!

By the way the somtam lady will be blocking the trails!

Motorbike riders here go against the traffic with no helmet or lights and I have seen 5 on 1 bike. I won't even go into the probability of licences and insurance.

Are these dirtbags going to keep off a 'bicycles only' path? Don't think so somehow!

Bangkok builds bicycle routes to cut global warming

BANGKOK: -- The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration is conducting surveys to build more bicycle trails to promote riding bikes and other environmentally friendly vehicles as part of a campaign to help fight global warming, Bangkok governor Apirak Kosayodhin said Saturday.

Leading a large gathering of famous singers and actors, the Bangkok governor and a procession of assorted celebrities rode their bicycles through busy traffic from scenic Narathiwatratnakarin Road along Sathorn Road to Wireless Road and Lumpini Park as part of a campaign to urge Bangkokians to ride bicycles pass through the traffic and reduce carbon dioxide (CO2) greenhouse gas emissions, which contributes to global warming.

The governor said that City Hall will build and map more bicycle routes to promote saving energy, the habit of healthful exercise, and visits to tourist sites along the bike trails.

The BMA also plans to boost the number of bicycle parking lots at elevated train stations and subway stations to encourage the public to use the metropolitan areas' expanding mass transit system, Governor Apirak said.

City Hall has been conducting activities designed to promote reducing global warming on the ninth of every month. On Monday (July 9), the metropolitan administration will launch activities focusing on switching off car engines while parked and reducing dust.

A "Lights Off" campaign was carried out in May in the capital to raise public awareness of the contribution of electric light to severe global warming. Not all of Bangkok's at least 10 million residents turned off their lights, but enough joined the nighttime activity to vividly demonstrate life without light.

--TNA 2007-07-07

Of course the singers and Thai TV celebrities ( I avoid the word actor) all jumped into their Benzes and BMWs when the show was over.

Below,foreign tourists are seen trying out a new bicycle lane in Bangkok.

:o

Edited by ratcatcher

OMG, I have a hard enough time dodging the stray dogs in quiet Phuket. I can just see a typical 1 block journey in Bangkok.

1) dodge the som tam lady

2) recoil from the pain of burning your leg on the hot barbeque of the gai yang man

3) swerve to avoid the gaping hole at the same time as being sideswiped by the hi-so tv star too close on the right, as he shakes his fist at you for scratching his beemer

4) duck to avoid the hanging wires, swerve left immediately after that to go under the bamboo ladder of the guy repairing the wires, as you dodge the oncoming motorbikes riding opposite direction

5) And at all times...keeping an out for the turrets-challenged hi-so sonny boy in the Merc...

Off topic or maybe a trace of relevance, but I happen to be in Paris just now, where they are working furiously to introduce some 22,000 bikes at some 2000 stands all over the city - on a date this month tba. Each stand has some 20 electronic small bollards which can read your rental card & to which the bikes can be locked; you can buy annual, weekly or daily rentals; while your card has credit the first 1/2 hour of each journey (stand to stand) is free; near every stand there's a meter for recharging credit on your card; there are bike lanes everywhere - many protected by raised edges.

Paris has decided to convert from being a bike-hating, car-dedicated city - to the opposite. It's not going to become an Amsterdam overnight, but what a good idea it is that it's promoting. And at a stroke it's leapfrogged over lots of other cities in this trend.

Bangkok is no Paris of course - and I won't try to count the ways....

Thailand can never be right! Can never win! The only thing thailand has accomplished I think is to have provided a place for farangs to boost their egos!

The only way that something like this might work is if they start banning a large amount of motor vehicles from using BKK's roads. Something like London's city tolls for using cars, etc. in the inner city.

I find it highly unlikely that anything like this will be enacted . So when anyone who tries to follow this example, he will be taking his life in his hands.

It's not that Thailand can never be right. It's just that you so frequently hear thai politicians spouting off about some plan that will never materialize or never be enacted in a safe way. The concept is good, but would you jump up and take your bike out on Bkk's street?

"healthful exercise".. :o Riding a bike thru bangkoks traffic/fumes everyday is not what you'd call "healthful", after 5 minutes in certain areas I imagine you'd have a headache, irritated eyes and be feeling dizzy...

Edited by TopDogger

"healthful exercise".. :o Riding a bike thru bangkoks traffic/fumes everyday is not what you'd call "healthful", after 5 minutes in certain areas I imagine you'd have a headache, irritated eyes and be feeling dizzy...

soundslike a good way to beat the traffic jams for the motorbikes and taxi's ,against the traffic of coarse :D

Given the political will there are a couple of things that could be done to make cities such as Bangkok and maybe Chiang Mai cleaner, safer and greener. One is the introduction of a congestion charge similar to London's which, despite much fear and trepidation in the runup to its launch has proved a big success with hugely improved public transport and faster journeys all round. Yes, there are probably many problems unique to BKK which I'm sure many of you can highlight but I'm sure something based on Ken's system could work.

The second thing is for the government to get behind the introduction of electric vehicles. Electric bikes, scooters, small local delivery trucks are everywhere in major Chinese cities and the technology has leapt ahead in the past few years making them practical and fun to ride in situations where 60 km or so between charges will suffice. Anyone who tries to tell you these things are underpowered toys is seriously out of touch with the market. In China, they have been encouraged with sales tax beaks, freedom from licensing (theorectically they have to only go 35km/h to be classed as a bicycle but this is largly ignored, I understand) and a growing infrastructure for overnight charging in apartment cycle parks. For those without access to these facilities smaller models have removable batteries. The other major benefit is the huge reduction in noise - you'd be amazed how quiet is is when you get all those Hondas Yamahas and Suzukis off the road.

So we have a couple of dealers here in Chiangmai - what's the problem? Well, it seems that a bike that sells for 16,000 - 20,000 bht in China goes for almost double that here which I'm told is down to the import duty. Surely, dropping that and supporting electric transport of all kinds would reduce Thailand's imports of oil, simulate local expertise in what can only be a growing industry over time and make a lot of city dweller's lives more pleasant. Oh yes and help a bit with global warming.