Degree Verification Or Not?

Prak,I'm talking about Australia here but since we're tied to the mother land UK I assume it's the same.

You can go online to see the graduates in a particular year but can't get access to transcripts or documents.

I will take a look but somehow do not think its that simple in the UK but I hope I am proved wrong.

The Uni for my MBA is closely related to my under-grad Uni - both "Red Brick" and used to put out exams for "O" and "A" levels together with the three other in the group plus there was a scheme of acceptance on one meant a place at any.

The MBA Uni still asked me for original Degree certificates very recently. Of course this could be administrative as everyone else had to show originals (although I think one PHd holder from the same Uni did not :o )

Assuming a degree is a gateway document to the position....

Just presenting a sheepskin alone should not be enough for obtaining the better higher paying jobs.

For instance 100,000 baht/month on up.

A high level of verification would be as follows:

Obtain a sealed notarized transcript/academic record directly from the issuing school.

Have the notary approved by the state department, basically a second notary. This is sometimes called an apostile.

Have this then approved by the Thai consulate or ministry in charge which may then require translation services.

A ministry official would then review the said qualifications and make a qualitative determination.

I'm not saying this is SOP now, but this is how it should be done.

All quality schools charging alot of money and claiming to be maintaining high standards should be hiring at this level of verification.

Oh did I forget to mention police reports, home country plus prior residences abroad.

These should be the standards for the very best jobs, in order to protect the profession.

Any school claiming to be upper tier but not hiring at this level is only fooling themselves.

Eventually they will see a qualitative degradation by failing to follow sound hiring practices.

I would imagine that only handful of schools in Thailand are operating at this level.

• 1 year later...

If anyone is interested, a list of nearly 10,000 names of people who had purchased or attempted to purchase fake university diplomas in the United States from a Spokane diploma mill is published here. http://www.spokesmanreview.com/data/diploma-mill/

This list includes people in Thailand and has prompted education authorities in another country to investigate their nationals and expatriates named in the list.

A high level of verification would be as follows: .........

Unfortunately Thai schools do everything last minute and if they did actually follow what you recommend they would have no teachers left. We can only concude that the government and schools are just not that interested in this issue except when a news story goes global and brings attention to bear for about 5 minutes.