Thai Language Schools

J-Mac

Can anyone give me a rundown (value, quality of instruction, etc) on thai language schools in central Bangkok?

I'll be arriving in August and would like to spend a few weeks doing some sort of intensive language course.

I've read some not-so-great things about Thai teachers, but would appreciate hearing from somebody with firsthand experience.

Cheers

Can anyone give me a rundown (value, quality of instruction, etc) on thai language schools in central Bangkok?

I'll be arriving in August and would like to spend a few weeks doing some sort of intensive language course.

I've read some not-so-great things about Thai teachers, but would appreciate hearing from somebody with firsthand experience.

Cheers

I attended Union Language School (ULS) on Surawongse Road in Bangkok for several months and found it excellent value at ~THB 6,000/month. 4 hours/day (0800-1200) is fairly intense, so be prepared for a commitment. Classes last for 4 weeks, and are ordered by difficulty. Class size is 10-20 for the early courses, fewer as the courses advance. When you enroll ULS will test your current Thai skills to place you in what they believe the proper course. 1st 2 months speaking only, though they also give you grounding in International Phonetic Alphabet (IPA, very helpful when one does not know Thai writing) as a teaching aid. Month 3 and 4 they teach the Thai alphabet and reading; month 5 and 6 are practice, usually reading short stories or articles. The formal course ends after 6 months, and they offer several additional courses of 4 weeks each: newspaper reading, bible study (ULS is sponsored by Bangkok Christian College; many students are foreign missionaries to Thailand), social problems, and preparation for the government Thai language certification test.

The teaching method was OK with me (I'm American) and the effort helped my Thai skills tremendously. It took me a few weeks to adjust to the teaching method but after that it was OK. Any troubles I have with Thai are my fault and shouldn't reflect badly on the instruction. ULS 02/233 4482.

Whilst I was studying at ULS last year, several of the ULS teachers whom many students (self included) considered to be among the best left to form a competing school, Thai Language Academy (TLA, on Silom Road 02 631 2712). I never attended TLA, as I had almost completed the entire 6 month program when it was formed. I have heard only positive reviews of TLA, and will contact them first when I resume studying. I believe the curriculum, method and fees are about the same as ULS.

Both schools are near Bangkok Christian Hospital, a short walk from Sala Daeng BTS station.

Good luck,

Cheers