Can Somone Help Plz

dlee

DavidUK21,

May be that "21" stands for your age?

Although you corrected your first post, words like that should not find a place on this forum.

My wife calls it "prostitute language".

She is a former teacher and is following the language forum with much interest.Mostly amused by the lots of BOOK knowledge .

She felt very much embarrassed this morning,not wanted to be confrontated with

this.I try to convince her to answer, but no way she is going into this kind of dialogue.

So here I am on her behalf. :o

dlee,

Just wait with the tatto.

You must be sure before doing it.

My wife is at home and will look at the spelling of konangrit and davidUK21.

Although this morning she already told me ,that is was difficult.

Is Shaun the phonetic spelling and if so what nationality are you?

As with all transliterations, it's a choice. Don't be so hard on David21's joke, he corrected himself, AND came up with a very good choice really in his next post. Spelt that way is how I mostly see 'Sean' (As in Sean Connery) spelt. Sounds the same as Shaun I suppose. It's interesting because this particular 'ch' consonant is VERY rarely used in Thai. It was always a bit beyong me why they'd use it for Sean Connery. I think it's because when you use the more common ch-chaang, the word will be too close to the word for 'spoon'.

It's your choice if you go with David21's (second! :o suggestion or the more literal and down to earth one by Konangrit. I wonder though why he put the silenced w-wen in there; On the up-side, this also makes it clear that it's a name, something translated from a foreign language in fact. On the downside, there's no 'w' in 'Shaun'. ;-)) I think what he spelt would be very perfect for the name 'Shawn' for Shaun.. it's your call. I don't think I'd put something in there that wasn't in the orignal. Perhaps I would put a silenced h in there, like people do for 'John' in Thai.

Or use ¬Í¹ Sean Connery is cool.

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Although you corrected your first post, words like that should not find

> a place on this forum.

Right! I thought about cleaning it up but so many people have commented on it that I'm just going to leave it. And I value his second attempt. :-)

> My wife calls it "prostitute language".

Well... I can assure you that also quite respectable people use it at times.. Not in public of course, just like you wouldn't use English slang words for private parts in public. Of course at the same time I can assure you that some prostitutes would be equallyas offended as teachers would be at DavidUK21's word...

> She felt very much embarrassed this morning,not wanted to be

> confrontated with this.I try to convince her to answer, but no way

> she is going into this kind of dialogue. So here I am on her behalf. :o

:D She can also lighten up a little. While I strongly oppose and disapprove of people (foreigners) going around using this word and other faul language, I wouldn't want to ban it as a topic for educational purposes. You do actually find this word in fairly mainstream movies and comics, either straight or as a funny garbled reference to it as a joke. And learners of Thai need need to be aware of if, as to not accidentally pronounce something that sounds close to it. (Just ask my friend who's nickname is Gluay. (¡ÇéÇÂ) :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

DavidUK21,

May be that "21" stands for your age?

Although you corrected your first post, words like that should not find a place on this forum.

My wife calls it "prostitute language".

She is a former teacher and is following the language forum with much interest.Mostly amused by the lots of BOOK knowledge .

She felt very much embarrassed this morning,not wanted to be confrontated with

this.I try to convince her to answer, but no way she is going into this kind of dialogue.

So here I am on her behalf. :D

ควย

Not a good choice of word to use in most places and circumstances because it's very offensive to some! :D

Let's instead use the Thai word (สมาชิก) "SAMA-CHICK" as an euphemism for the above word because it's considered very polite! :D

(สมาชิก) "SAMA-CHICK"="MEMBER"!

ยินดีต้อนรับสมาชิกใหม่=YIN-DEE DTON-RAP SAMA-CHICK MAI=A warm welcome to the new member! :o

Cheers. :D

Snowleopard

> Although you corrected your first post, words like that should not find

> a place on this forum.

Right! I thought about cleaning it up but so many people have commented on it that I'm just going to leave it. And I value his second attempt. :-)

> My wife calls it "prostitute language".

> She felt very much embarrassed this morning,not wanted to be

> confrontated with this.I try to convince her to answer, but no way

> she is going into this kind of dialogue. So here I am on her behalf. :D

. While I strongly oppose and disapprove of people (foreigners) going around using this word and other faul language, I wouldn't want to ban it as a topic for educational purposes. You do actually find this word in fairly mainstream movies and comics, either straight or as a funny garbled reference to it as a joke. And learners of Thai need need to be aware of if, as to not accidentally pronounce something that sounds close to it. (Just ask my friend who's nickname is Gluay. (¡ÇéÇÂ) :-)

Cheers,

Chanchao

Well... I can assure you that also quite respectable people use it at times.. Not in public of course, just like you wouldn't use English slang words for private parts in public. Of course at the same time I can assure you that some prostitutes would be equallyas offended as teachers would be at DavidUK21's word...

Quite public, a forum I would say.

But enough, as said he put a new post in.

:D She can also lighten up a little

Why do we always have to accept things?

Using continiously the 4 letter words in English doesn't make it allright.

Fortunately there are all kind of people on the forum so??

Let's hope we find the correct word because that is what this topic is about :o

As with all transliterations, it's a choice. Don't be so hard on David21's joke, he corrected himself, AND came up with a very good choice really in his next post. Spelt that way is how I mostly see 'Sean' (As in Sean Connery) spelt. Sounds the same as Shaun I suppose. It's interesting because this particular 'ch' consonant is VERY rarely used in Thai. It was always a bit beyong me why they'd use it for Sean Connery. I think it's because when you use the more common ch-chaang, the word will be too close to the word for 'spoon'.

It's your choice if you go with David21's (second! :o suggestion or the more literal and down to earth one by Konangrit. I wonder though why he put the silenced w-wen in there; On the up-side, this also makes it clear that it's a name, something translated from a foreign language in fact. On the downside, there's no 'w' in 'Shaun'. ;-)) I think what he spelt would be very perfect for the name 'Shawn' for Shaun.. it's your call. I don't think I'd put something in there that wasn't in the orignal. Perhaps I would put a silenced h in there, like people do for 'John' in Thai.

Or use ฌอน Sean Connery is cool.

I wonder if the spelling ฌอน is also a word game? 'Sean' is a form of 'John'. Rearrange 'John' and you get 'Jhon'. 'Jh' in Sanskrit / Pali words is ฌ in Thai.

Thanks for correcting me, Chanchao. As you pointed out that was how to spell Shawn and not Shaun. Don't even know if anyone spells their name as Shawn.

Anyway after a little research it seems that Davids spelling is correct for both Sean and Shaun, so ฌอน it is :o