Free course

Every Sunday & Monday

1st Day: Sunday

02.15 p.m. Meet at Wat Suan Dok

02.30 p.m. Introduction to Buddhism.

-What do Buddhists worship?

-What do Buddhists believe?

-How do Buddhists practice?

04.30 p.m. Departure for the Training Center.

05.00 p.m. Free time / dinner.

06. 00 p.m. Evening chanting and meditation.

08.30 p.m. Bedtime.

2nd Day: Monday

05.30 a.m. Morning gong.

06.00 a.m. Morning chanting, Yoga Meditation,

Insight Meditation.

07.30 a.m. Alms offering / Breakfast.

08.30 a.m. Discussion on the general ideas

of Buddhism

09.30 a.m. Meditation

10.00 a.m. Learn and enjoy Thai cooking

11.30 a.m. Offering food to monks and lunch

12.30 a.m. Return to Wat Suan Dok.

Click for program info

A 30-year-old Australian friend, visiting Thailand only for a few weeks, participated in this short course last weekend. Here's what she had to say about it:

I really enjoyed it and learnt a satisfying amount about Thai Buddhist culture. The young monk who led the course, and his master who we also met, are quite modern thinkers and provide suggestions about how to apply the principles of Buddhism and meditation into modern, western lives. The course was a perfect length for those who just wanted a taste, but wouldn't commit to a longer one, is short enough to fit into a tight schedule (such as mine) and didn't cost anything. Even though we gave a donation, there was no mention of one by staff or the monk.

The accomodation was simple, new and very clean monk accomodation (ie. quilt thickness mat on the floor). All the meals were included and a novice involved us and taught us in the process of preparing the meals.

The exciting thing about this program is that they are planning to build their own residential location. They have received a donation of land (or money?) which will accomodate a drop-in style meditation centre. The plan is that people can stay for as long or as little as they like, still at no cost. The head teacher is very busy pursuing this at the moment. He hopes that the new centre will be ready within 1 year.

Even though this is a short course, I wouldn't recomend it for people who are simply having a sticky beak. It does require committment and respect of what is being taught. I hope the monks have considered this so that the new centre doesn't simply become a substitute for free accomodation.

The contact details are:

Mahachulalongkornrajavidyalaya University

(Buddhist University)

Chiang Mai campus, Wat Suan Dok

Suthep Rd

Ph. 09-8551012, 05-0409835, 095563313, (053)278967 Ext 111.

web: http://www.monkchat.net/exp_index.htm

Bookings are required.

Edited by sabaijai