Thai Guide In Record Carp Catch

Mid

Thai guide in record carp catch

Jul 13, 2007

One angling guide from Thailand has managed to catch what is believed to be the largest carp ever caught in the history of sport fishing.

Fishing Adventures Thailand professional guide Kik's carp was found to weigh some 265 pounds (120 kg) after he caught it on the Bung Sam Lan Lake on July 2nd.

The guide had only gone out to the waterway to test a new custom-built fishing rod he had been developing and ended up catching the largest Siamese giant carp ever recorded.

Fish & Fly

some fish , Macro had two whole frozen ones , size of a calf . :o

Looking at the picture it looks like the carp won. A new world record for the number of fishermen pulled into the water!

Crap fish in all respects, fattened up in a holding dam and certainly not a sporting contest.

Not a record to be proud of.

Looking at the picture it looks like the carp won. A new world record for the number of fishermen pulled into the water!

Crap fish in all respects, fattened up in a holding dam and certainly not a sporting contest.

Not a record to be proud of.

[/quote2]

Sorry? "NOT A SPORTING CONTEST" :o . I'll bet it took a hel_l of a lot of effort and skill to land such a large fish, no matter what you think of the arena in which it was caught! You don't just hook a 120kg fish and 'haul it in'. What about the skill in playing the fish until it's tired enough? bet that didn't take 5 minutes!

Good luck to the fish, which will live on to fight another day and also well done to the fisherman - even though he did get wet, but I bet he didn't mind one bit!

I agree the setting isn't up to much, there are much nicer spots in Thailand but a lot harder to catch, which is just as it should be.

Nevertheless it is good fun there and I'm sure that fish put up one heck of a good fight, congratulations on being able to bring that one in.

<br />Bung Sam Lan Lake is nothing but a fish farm where you catch fish that has been caught by others dozens of times. No catches there should count as world records, no matter what their size is.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

How big is the lake that this fish Was caught in ? is it open to the public and what do they charge to fish a lake like this ?

JB

Bung Sam Lan Lake is nothing but a fish farm where you catch fish that has been caught by others dozens of times. No catches there should count as world records, no matter what their size is.

The fish has been released into Bung Sam Lan more than 20 years ago at a weight of 90+ kgs, and it has never been caught since. So no it has not been 'fattend up in a holding dam' and it has not been 'caught by others dozens of times'. 5 fish of that size was caught in a Thai river 23 years ago and bought by the owner of Bung Sam Lan, and this is only the second time one of them is caught! That means more than 8000 fishing days for 2 fish. Guess it's not that easy after all.... You can think what you want about put and take fishing in Thailand and all over the world, and that's fair enough. But it takes a lot of skills to land a fish like that and it is the biggest carp ever caught on rod.

This aint a dig at Australians, But course fishing is a young sport in Australia, if you could hear some of the comments when I turned up on the creeks and rivers of the darling downs in 1996 , with my carp poles, tiny gudgeon hooks,floats,feeders and keep net :D Carp is counted as a feral fish in Australia and it is against the law to return a carp to water, and of coarse they say it tastes like crap too, Or so they think, Carp has been bred in europe as a much desired eating fish for 100,s of years, they have the same opinion of Eels too, whether jellied or smoked they wont touch them :D but I digress we have seen coarse fishing come on in leaps and bounds here and adapted to australian fish,when I was first seen fishing the sandbanks of the Pumicestone Passage with tiny lures and spoons on light tackle there was much ridicule until they noticed how many Flathead and Brim I was catching, I had to learn to take home the odd fish for the table, being used to catch and return, I had to adapt, But as always I target specific fish!!Maybe if the australian anglers , could experience the patient wait on crispy winters night ,hoping that the capital carp you know is in your swim will take your luncheon meat or boily, or triple hooking that little roach as livebait and going after the 20lb Pike who is causing havoc, Sorry I start to wax lyrical when I think of Angling :o Maybe in 100 years the Aussies will beeating carp too :D Nignoy

• 1 year later...

Think of Bung Sam Lan as a driving range. Pop down in the evening have some dinner delivered to your hut and catch 20+ fish over 20kgs in just 2-3 hrs, it's a great place to practise your skills and perhaps lighten your tackle so when you hook into a biggie in more challenging surroundings the skills learnt their may help you.

Knock the place all you want, but it cannot be denied there are some monsters in there and the average size of most fish is truly astounding. Personally I prefer fishing the reservoirs or seafishing, but Bung Sam Lan is a lake like no other I know worldwide. A great place to take kids, begginners and non fishers, certainly different than a few hours spent in the bars and a pretty good workout those meckongs do provide.....