Work Permit

i am currently applying for teaching jobs with different schools in thailand.

SOme schools are saying that you dont need a work permit to teach at their school, only a non immi b visa.

Im a bit confused.

Can anyone give me a straight answer on this one?

You only need a Work Permit if you want to be legal. :o

Please see: http://www.mfa.go.th/web/2482.php?id=2649

Some of us find comfort in working legally here while others are willing to take the risk and work illegally without a Work Permit.

Each of us has to make his or her own decision in this respect.

I'm comfortable with mine and find it a lot easier to do things legally than doing things illegally and spending my time worrying about how long I can get away with doing it illegally.

If a school insists you can work legally in Thailand absent a Work Permit, ask them to get a document for your use from Thai Immigration stating the same. :D

Edited by mopenyang

SOme schools are saying that you dont need a work permit to teach at their school, only a non immi b visa.

Any school that tells you that I would consider dodgy and not even consider them, they are putting you in jeopardy . It is illegal to do any work, including teaching, without a work permit.

Technically, it's not the Ministry of Education; rather it's the Ministry of Labour that issues work permits. You cannot teach legally without a work permit. There might be one exception: the British Council. But if they said you don't need a teacher's license, that may be true for work at government schools.