Murder At Chiang Rai's Overbrook Hospital.

tayto

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/index.php

CHIANG RAI / MURDER INVESTIGATION

Doctor stabbed to death in car park as she leaves hospital

Chiang Rai _ A radiologist died after she was stabbed as she was leaving Overbrook hospital in downtown Chiang Rai yesterday. Police investigators said the assailant, believed to be a young man, may have tried to abduct Dr Waewdao Techawattanakul, 40, but she resisted and so he stabbed her in the chest with a carving knife.

A close friend was working at Overbrook Hospital at the time of the tragic event. The doctor was found on the main floor above the car park and rushed to Emergency where within 5 minutes they had her in surgery but unfortunately the wound was too extensive. The knife had cut her aorta, her heart and lungs. She was given massive amounts of blood but did not survive.

It is very sad for all of the staff. The doctor was liked by the staff. She was a dedicated radiologist at Overbrook. Her husband is a plastic surgeon in C. Rai. She leaves two sons.

The attack occurred in the underground parking lot on level one. The lot is closed on Sundays but the doctor had parked in the lot anyway. There were only 3 cars in the lot. The Doctors key hole on the drives side had numerous pieces of tape over it. She was attacked near the car. It appeared that she had tried to defend herself as she had other wounds on her body. The knife as found near the car. After the attack she somehow was able to walk and crawl up to the first floor where she was found.

The perpetrator escaped from the same stairwell and walked out to the street. He was seen by a witness who also saw him throw a glove away. Another glove was found by the car. The doctor was found wearing an expensive watch. Her purse was untouched and with her when she was found. This of course leads to the theory that this was not a robbery.

The police took photographs of the scene and fingerprinted various things. They did get a sketch artist to work with the witness to come up with a composite of the perpetrator. They allowed reporters on the scene within an hour after the event. They were walking around and photographing the car and the scene.

The service will be held at Wat 7 Yaut – the temple just north of Chaing Rai Inn.

A close friend was working at Overbrook Hospital at the time of the tragic event. The doctor was found on the main floor above the car park and rushed to Emergency where within 5 minutes they had her in surgery but unfortunately the wound was too extensive. The knife had cut her aorta, her heart and lungs. She was given massive amounts of blood but did not survive.

It is very sad for all of the staff. The doctor was liked by the staff. She was a dedicated radiologist at Overbrook. Her husband is a plastic surgeon in C. Rai. She leaves two sons.

The attack occurred in the underground parking lot on level one. The lot is closed on Sundays but the doctor had parked in the lot anyway. There were only 3 cars in the lot. The Doctors key hole on the drives side had numerous pieces of tape over it. She was attacked near the car. It appeared that she had tried to defend herself as she had other wounds on her body. The knife as found near the car. After the attack she somehow was able to walk and crawl up to the first floor where she was found.

The perpetrator escaped from the same stairwell and walked out to the street. He was seen by a witness who also saw him throw a glove away. Another glove was found by the car. The doctor was found wearing an expensive watch. Her purse was untouched and with her when she was found. This of course leads to the theory that this was not a robbery.

The police took photographs of the scene and fingerprinted various things. They did get a sketch artist to work with the witness to come up with a composite of the perpetrator. They allowed reporters on the scene within an hour after the event. They were walking around and photographing the car and the scene.

The service will be held at Wat 7 Yaut – the temple just north of Chaing Rai Inn.

My Thai buddy said it was a case where the doctor scolded a security guard for not doing his job correctly.

The perp apparently went back to 'scare' the woman, then when she fought back, he 'accidentally' stabbed her. :o

this is a pretty serious thing to hypothesize about.

and klik, it would seem your friend must have some very inside info to come up with that.

so inside that he must have a contact with the perp.

either that or he's full of you know what- thai gossip.

My Thai buddy said it was a case where the doctor scolded a security guard for not doing his job correctly.

The perp apparently went back to 'scare' the woman, then when she fought back, he 'accidentally' stabbed her. :o

Maybe you should get your Thai buddy to talk to the police.

Male Thai judge will sympathize with his loss of face.

What rubbish, there is many many people doing hard time for crimes such as this.

In this case you're probably right, plenty of publicity so there'll be pressure to make an example; but you'd be surprised how lightly some murderers get off, particularly in rural areas where family influence can come to bear. I know of several cases locally, including a member of my wife's family, that resulted in light sentencing and also a few serious assaults where charges weren't even laid.

where family influence can come to bear.

Why speculate when the perp has not even been caught.

As for the above, do you not think the family of both the victim and her husband are

more likely to have some more influential friends than the murderer ?

As for the above, do you not think the family of both the victim and her husband are

Forums are about speculation as well as discussion.

The phrase you quote reads a little differently when take as a whole and in context with the rest of the post.

" but you'd be surprised how lightly some murderers get off, particularly in rural areas where family influence can come to bear. "

Sorry, my bad.

I misunderstood my Thai friend. I called him today and the prime suspect is a security guard that the Dr. had apparently scolded. The comment about someone going back to scare her was speculation.

Edited by klikster

Forums are about speculation as well as discussion.

The phrase you quote reads a little differently when take as a whole and in context with the rest of the post.

" but you'd be surprised how lightly some murderers get off, particularly in rural areas where family influence can come to bear. "

Very doubtful in this case.

When they catch this guy, if they hav'nt already , they will have it in for him.

The victims family are very hi-so.

:o I was under the impression that this topic was about a tragic murder case:

"Murder At Chiang Rai's Overbrook Hospital."

Maybe we should pay a little more respect in this topic to the Lady Doctor victim, instead fighting a -word- battle between some of the esteemed members...

There is enough room on this forum I would think to discuss such matters.

Leave this topic to the Murder Case I would recommend.

LaoPo :D

Twelve off-topic and inflammatory/insulting posts and their repsponses have been removed, by requests of the two main posters. Sorry we moderators didn't catch it earlier. Tragic death there in Chiang Rai; my condolences to the friends and family of the victim.

Twelve off-topic and inflammatory/insulting posts and their repsponses have been removed, by requests of the two main posters. Sorry we moderators didn't catch it earlier. Tragic death there in Chiang Rai; my condolences to the friends and family of the victim.

Amen to that.

Just like to note that I believe I posted here but since some have been deleted so I'm not sure. I commented about the horrible murder. Either I thought it and didn't do it, or I did it and my post was not actually off-topic.

Maybe you should just close it.

I'm just curious if the murderer has been found. What was the motive? It's just insane what people will murder for. It's doesn't make sense.

Just like to note that I believe I posted here but since some have been deleted so I'm not sure. I commented about the horrible murder. Either I thought it and didn't do it, or I did it and my post was not actually off-topic.

Maybe you should just close it.

I'm just curious if the murderer has been found. What was the motive? It's just insane what people will murder for. It's doesn't make sense.

According to this morning TV news, the suspect murderer has been arrested. The motive for killing the doctor was just a minor car accident at the hospital.

Killer says sorry to doctor's kin

The man arrested for the murder of a radiologist says the killing was an accident and he meant only to teach the woman a lesson for embarrassing him.

He apologised to his victim's family.

Kwanchai Khammeesa-wang, 32, has been charged with the July 15 stabbing death of Overbrook Hospital radiologist Dr Waewdao Techawattanakul.

He told a police news conference he attempted to abduct the 40-year-old doctor in retaliation for cutting him off with her car and then shouting at him.

When he attempted to abduct her from the hospital's parking building in central Chiang Rai she struggled and screamed. Kwanchai stabbed her in the chest with a knife, then fled.

Following the killing Kwanchai continued working for two weeks until he believed the police were about to arrest him, then fled to Khon Kaen.

"I take responsibility for my actions and accept I will be punished for my crime. I apologise to the family of Dr Waewdao. I did not intend to kill her but just teach her a lesson for scolding me," he said.

Provincial police region 5 deputy commissioner Maj-General Panthawat Sriwalai said forensic evidence from the scene and witness accounts led to the arrest.

Kwanchai was taken into custody at a relative's house in Kranuan district of Khon Kaen.

The Nation

CHIANG RAI

Quite frankly it is farcical to bring up the matter of 'loss of face' everytime some awful crime is committed. How can anyone equate these two acts even with a smidgeon of education.

This guy has been around for 32 years and getting cut up in a car park takes him to this level of madness :o

Well, in case he had been working there for more than one day it could have been a few more incidents that eventually made him tip over. Sure, thaigirls losing face when their farang boyfriends start shouting at them in public is one thing. Repeated humiliation another. Who of us here knew either the victim or the culprit and what kind of relationship they had?

Quite frankly it is farcical to bring up the matter of 'loss of face' everytime some awful crime is committed. How can anyone equate these two acts even with a smidgeon of education.

This guy has been around for 32 years and getting cut up in a car park takes him to this level of madness :o

I don't profess the facts here but look at them.

A. We have a security parking lot guy

B. From the info, there was no robbery

C. There was no sexual contact (no rape)

D. There are people killed in Thailand everyday over the "face issue"

You call my claim farcical and i only have a smidgen of education. I think i spelled it correctly.

The "Face" thing is for real, and you should recognize it.

:D

Have to agree about the loss of face being a big issue here and in many cases leading to murder.

One of the more recent cases that comes to mind is the one where the cop killed a couple in Kanchanaburi.

There have been other similar cases where the loss of face ''victim'' has lashed out.

Even in murder cases people have used ''loss of face'' as a defence and got away with it.

Just don't piss off any Thai people.

Mumbojumbo, us Irish say a smidgeen

Edited by tayto