Almost Afraid To Ask..: Tailor

chanchao

Ok, I need a tailor shop to get a suit made. I seriously dislike the tourist-environment.. With suits priced in US dollars or Euros... That would be one reliable way to get me out of the store in a second: quote me something in dollars.. I make my money in Baht youknow...

So I'm looking for the same as everyone else: professional tailoring but no tourist rip-offs. Any ideas? :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

I really don't know CHON,I used to have some nice stuff made in HK back in the 60s and I had some fine threads made in INCHON in the 70s..but do not wear that class no more,lucky to just pull on a pair of Chinos,,

But there is a good tailor shop here in Phetchabun that is posed to do first class work and he do work for baht. :o holler if ya want and I can get ya some info,if ya tell me what to ask.

Chanchao, every tailoring experiment I've undertaken in Chiang Mai has ended in disappointment. I've had several items of clothing taken in for alteration and ruined, lost expensive fabrics brought in from Europe, etc. All the expats I know agree that Chiang Mai tailoring is not up to snuff, and nowhere near Bangkok quality.

The selection of fabrics here is not very good to begin with, but it's the craft that's most lacking. Sleeves too short, body too tight, couldn't seem to get even a simple shirt made correctly. I gave up after I'd tried four or five different tailors and none of them could successfully measure and cut a shirt or trousers. Being measured for trousers, then coming back to find they've cut them six inches too short was the last straw!

For women's clothes the situation is a tad better, I'm told altho most of the expat women I know also complain that they have to go to BKK if they want to feel confident they'll get what they need.

I travel to Bangkok frequently so it's convenient for me to use a Bangkok tailor. However if someone else out there knows of a good tailor in CM, I'd surely like to know about it, for those rare occasions when you need something quick.

Ok, I need a tailor shop to get a suit made. I seriously dislike the tourist-environment.. With suits priced in US dollars or Euros... That would be one reliable way to get me out of the store in a second: quote me something in dollars.. I make my money in Baht youknow...

So I'm looking for the same as everyone else: professional tailoring but no tourist rip-offs. Any ideas? :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

If you fancy a trip to the City of Angles I can point you towards a good and fair priced tailor. He does have some $US signs in the window, but it is just to get tourists in. Most of his work is repeat expat tailoring ( Sukhumvit aound Soi 10 12 )

I'm one of those sizes where I can't even buy socks in Thailand off the rack. Everything I get is always hand-tailored....

Like Sabaijai, I've also had no luck when getting hand-measured, but I have had better luck with taking in a sample of my clothes and having them copy it....For many years, if I brought in a shirt for copying, along with the material, I paid 150 for either pants, shirt...or bathrobe. Usually it was okay, but any problems always came from the person measuring and cutting the cloth, in my experience.

There is a soi off of Moon muang, just past John's Place. In that soi are 2 or 3 tailors. Mostly, they seem to do uniforms or parachatan style of clothing for karachakans, or other people who need to wear formal Thai style work clothing...A parachatan style shirt is fine in lieu of a shirt and tie in formal Thai situations...

Anyway, they are cheap, and seem to only work from samples. I'd imagine they are more than 150 baht now, but if you just want a simple copy, I'd suggest checking them out.... I do know an excellent proper tailor in Nonthaburi, and would be happy to pass on that info to anyone who wants it....

Hmm.. all of that does not sound too good.. :o Did anyone try Neramit, the one that advertises the most and is a very long running operation in Chiang Mai?

Would also be intested in the names of some good Bangkok tailors instead, and the one in Nonthaburi...

Cheers,

Chanchao

This queston came up some months ago and the general conclusion is that you will be a lot happier buying a suit off the rack at a department store and then have it altered.

My experince with local tailors led me to the belief that the "tailors" are merely cloth salesmen who send your measurements to a central factory where your suit is "made to measure", not "talilored" and the fittings are merely alterations to the made to measure suit produced by the factory.

As you know, the secret to a good custom tailored suit is the cutting. Good cutters are just not around in Chiang Mai. Even Hong Kong and Bangkok don't have the quality of the cutters in New York and London, who are very highly paid and cut a hundred suits at a time with high quality equipment.

Thus, buying a professionally tailored "off the rack" suit and having it altered to fit is your best bet in my opinion. You know what you are getting when you buy the suit, and altering it is relatively easy for a good "tailor" "seamstress". Don't let the department store people near it, even the cuffing.

My last effort was in Pattaya where I had a dinner jacket made with a tailor I had experience with. We actually had a fitting where the jacket remained unconstructed until put on my body. It fits beautifully, but the material is very light and you can see shadows of the undergarments under the sleeves. I told him I wanted the same facing that is in the front of the jacket put in the sides under the lining, tailor who fitted it was present when this transpired, however, when I went to pick up the jacket, not done. Since they delayed until they knew I was leaving town, they relied on the old trick of leaving the tourist visitor whith no time to make things right.

I could have the jacket worked on by a local tailor, but since the jacket is for the wedding of my daughter and unlikely to be worn more than once, will just not raise my arms to shoulder level so the underarm area won't be seen. I am wearing ready-made black pants with it, micro-mesh from England and tailored there, of course.

Chanchao, every tailoring experiment I've undertaken in Chiang Mai has ended in disappointment. I've had several items of clothing taken in for alteration and  ruined, lost expensive fabrics brought in from Europe, etc. All the expats I know agree that Chiang Mai tailoring is not up to snuff, and nowhere near Bangkok quality.

The selection of fabrics here is not very good to begin with, but it's the craft that's most lacking. Sleeves too short, body too tight, couldn't seem to get even a simple shirt made correctly. I gave up after I'd tried four or five different tailors and none of them could successfully measure and cut a shirt or trousers. Being measured for trousers, then coming back to find they've cut them six inches too short was the last straw!

For women's clothes the situation is a tad better, I'm told altho most of the expat women I know also complain that they have to go to BKK if they want to feel confident they'll get what they need.

I travel to Bangkok frequently so it's convenient for me to use a Bangkok tailor. However if someone else out there knows of a good tailor in CM, I'd surely like to know about it, for those rare occasions when you need something quick.

I was thinking about a suit (getting one made) and then I had to acelerate my thinking into getting one.

I have in the past been disappointed in "tailer made suits" because they don't seem to finish up exactly as I wanted.

I looked around Central and found some quite good off the hook suits. I could see the finished article and whilst the one I chose was not of the best quality fabric it was OK. It was not that expensive (around 4,500 baht with a spare pair of pants)

One thing that pisses me off with most of these tailers is the guys soliciting outside their doors.

I tell them when and if I want a suit "I will let you know so until then go hassle someone else"

All that said I know people who have used Neramit and been quite happy with what they produce.

And ProThaiExpat wrote.......

My experince with local tailors led me to the belief that the "tailors" are merely cloth salesmen who send your measurements to a central factory where your suit is "made to measure",

I have been told on good authority that this is correct of most of these places soliciting custom (that they only measure you up and show you the material) and the "making" is done in a factory.

I am not suggesting that Neramit is one of these (simply because I don't know)

Ok, I need a tailor shop to get a suit made.  I seriously dislike the tourist-environment.. With suits priced in US dollars or Euros...   That would be one reliable way to get me out of the store in a second: quote me something in dollars..   I make my money in Baht youknow...  

So I'm looking for the same as everyone else: professional tailoring but no tourist rip-offs.   Any ideas? :o

Yes.....

There is a tailor I have used for the last ten or so years and never had a problem. He is currently making a suit for me & I have just returned from a third fitting, next fitting tomorrow.

He was introduced to me by the GM of a 5* Hotel & I have met many diplomats and senior company & hotel management in his shop over the years.

His name is Hassan & he & his wife Dolly run Soni Fashion, almost opposite the entrance to Anusarn Market.

(Mention my name & he will know you are a serious local.)

Prices are similar to others, but quality almost up to Saville Row standards. (Yes, I have Saville Row suits too.)

Edited by p1p

Ok.. I'm tempted to go with that one, mostly because Bangkok would involve flying over there and back one weekend, and then hope and pray and final fitting the next weekend and pick up the suit.......

Now then, how long is a piece of string there? EHH, I mean, how much would I pay for a pretty standard fabric suit and.. . well never mind. :o Any indications though? :D

Cheers,

Chanchao

OK. My current suit, made with qood quality English wool fabric, a long dress and jacket for my wife and a dress shirt for myself are costing a total of just under Bt 16K. (You know neither my wife nor I are small people!) The fabrics used are all top-of-the-range and the price, very reasonable.

Over the years I have had many tens of shirts and trousers made there. Two or three suits, Dinner and Morning suits, a couple of sports jackets and an overcoat. I have never had a problem other than a couple of minor adjustments needing when I put on, or lost weight.

Wish I could say the same about my London tailors!

As A Post Script to the above. Hassan & Dolly are generally in the shop from about 3 to 4pm until Midnight. You need to be measured by them, not the minion who mans the shop in the morning.

Their phone number is 053 818 757.

Beware of other CM tailors. Many of them are Burmese and they are very keen to scam whoever possible. Credit cards are frequently double charged and clothing often either badly made, or not made at all.

They come here, set up shop, run their con for a month or two then close up and return across the border.

As A Post Script to the above. Hassan & Dolly are generally in the shop from about 3 to 4pm until Midnight. You need to be measured by them, not the minion who mans the shop in the morning.

Their phone number is 053 818 757.

Beware of other CM tailors. Many of them are Burmese and they are very keen to scam whoever possible. Credit cards are frequently double charged and clothing often either badly made, or not made at all.

They come here, set up shop, run their con for a month or two then close up and return across the border.

Many of them are Burmese

And many claim to be Nepalese along that same strip (opposite Anusarn)

Maybe by saying that they are Nepalese they can avoid being all labelled as being from the sub continent.

Hmm.. all of that does not sound too good.. :o Did anyone try Neramit, the one that advertises the most and is a very long running operation in Chiang Mai?

Would also be intested in the names of some good Bangkok tailors instead, and the one in Nonthaburi...

Cheers,

Chanchao

Neramit is excellent value. Suits range from 3500 to 7000 baht depending on material, and whether two piece or three piece. Casual made to measure dress slacks around 800/1000. Shirts are also very well made, and most importantly, wash and iron well.

He speaks very good english, and there is never a problem. Highly reccomended!!

Did anyone try Neramit, the one that advertises the most and is a very long running operation in Chiang Mai?

I had three suits made by Neramit around 1995/96 and have been quite satisfied with them (not that I wear the suits all that often though). I would certainly go back to Neramit if I ever found myself in need of any more tailored clothes.

Neramit gets my vote.

Ive been using him for over 10 years & everything is always a perfect fit. There's never any need to take it back for alterations.

Ive also had some heavy duty denim motorcycle jackets made & they too lasted several years.

You might pay a little bit more, but there's no doubt you get what you pay for.

Neramit advertises in just about every tourist mag in Chiang Mai.

He's in Ratchawong road, just along from the Kasem store.

The address is 91/2 Ratchawong road. Chiang Mai. Tel 053 234 353.

If in Bkk try Rajah Suits just up from Pantip Plaza after the Indonesian Embassy.Run by Thais.Lots of hi So and Governement people use it.Very good suiting material avaiable.However not cheap so reckon on 12-15K for a suit depending on fabric.Fitting and cutting is however in house and really good.Had 2 suits made there and fit is perfect as well as the way is falls.ciao

Hi Chanchao

Looking for a good and reliable taylor ?

Go to Rachadamnoen road, soi 1. Opposite the (former) Art Guest-House (number 19/1), there are 2 taylors. Ask for Khio (a guy from Isaan). I know him well. We used to be neighbours. He makes all my trousers and all my GF's skirts and shirts.

You can mention my mane.

At Soni Fashion suits start at a little over 3K baht and go up to 50K plus depending on the quality of the fabric.

I have always believed in the old adage that service businesses advertise because they need to. Those with sufficient business do not need to advertise because old, satisfied clients' recommendations brings new customers to their door. You can look at Soni in this regard. Hassan survives on repeat business from clients in Thailand and overseas, travelling to Europe and the USA several times per year.

For a good suit, trousers or shirt I would go nowhere else. For cheap, everyday wear, take your pick.

• 2 weeks later...

P1P,

His name is Hassan & he & his wife Dolly run Soni Fashion, almost opposite the entrance to Anusarn Market.

How do we pronounce your name - peeonepee? :o Or is there some other name we should use?

P1P,

How do we pronounce your name - peeonepee? :o Or is there some other name we should use?

Sorry. Most regular contributors/readers of the CM section know my name is Philip.