Internet Conection In Issan

MeNutsAreOnFire

I'm in Bkk at the mo but I will be moving to Issan in a couple of days. In my appartment now I have a laptop and a land line to connect to the internet - I buy time from an ISP and put the password in and I'm connected.

Will it be that simple in Issan - I know some of the ISP only work in Bkk and I have been told that I can buy one that's national. Will this work if my wifes parents get a landline fitted in their house or will I have problems?

Cheers guys and girls

Isaan is a big place so where you are locating within Isaan makes a huge difference.

If you have land line (which in many parts of Isaan at least is not an easy trick) the dial up will be the same with perhaps the added burden of long distance telephone call.

The other option to long distance is to buy one of the Web 3 kits from Loxinfo and use the 1222 dial up connect process which should be 3 baht per call regardless of time on line, with a call limit of 3 hours.

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

Isaan is a big place so where you are locating within Isaan makes a huge difference.

If you have land line (which in many parts of Isaan at least is not an easy trick) the dial up will be the same with perhaps the added burden of long distance telephone call.

The other option to long distance is to buy one of the Web 3 kits from Loxinfo and use the 1222 dial up connect process which should be 3 baht per call regardless of time on line, with a call limit of 3 hours.

Good luck and keep us posted on what happens.

Hey Fellas

im using normal dial up as well but with 15day Unlimited SHARK BYTE from Ji Net,,cost 179Thb unlimited access next 15 days,,with 3 THB,,,sometimes my comp is on with one dial 10hrs strait with the 1222 number as well.

Some times good some times bad,,,but hey,,thats how it is when u live in Isaan and out of Town

-Marco-

I'm in Bkk at the mo but I will be moving to Issan in a couple of days. In my appartment now I have a laptop and a land line to connect to the internet - I buy time from an ISP and put the password in and I'm connected.

Will it be that simple in Issan - I know some of the ISP only work in Bkk and I have been told that I can buy one that's national. Will this work if my wifes parents get a landline fitted in their house or will I have problems?

Cheers guys and girls

Hi,

Depends i think where abouts in Issan you are going to be based?

I live in buriram Province and use the monthly 1222 at cost of 349tb per month and dont have connection or speed problems,there are many 1222 monthly providers but for me the XTREME CARD is the best of the bunch.

I'm going to be living near Maha Chai Chana, 20kms away from Yasothon. My wife says they do not have a phone line yet but they can have one put in for roughly 2000bt. Does that sound right - does anyone know exactly?

She says that it will only take a couple of days for them to come round and do it, but I know what thailand's like and it will probably take 2 weeks!!

This extreme card looks good - I'm only going to be there 5 months so I'll try and give that a go. I live just opporsite Plantip Plaza so they should have it there.

Thanks guys for your help. Any more info always welcome...

Me Nuts Are On Fire

Getting a line can be tricky. My wife tried first time Jan 2002. The company answered: "We have no numbers".

Oct 2003 we tried again. Same reply. We asked: When do You get numbers?

They answered: "We do not know".

Only by using influental relatives we got telephone at last.

Olaus

It turns out that we have to wait 2 months - on a waiting list - to get a phone line connected. Which isn't much help for me as I'm only here for 5 weeks. We have put our name down so her parents can call us when we, eventually leave Thailand and go to the UK. For now I can can connect my pc in the local internet/gaming shop, which is slow but at least I can still keep in touch with things.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

:o You can buy a "Solomon" modem that connects to a USB port on your computer and internet service from AIS. The "deal" I got was 9,900 Baht for the modem and 1,200 Baht per month for the internet connection. AIS had/has a promotion that give you the first 6 months of connection as unlimited connect time and the last six months (one year contract) of 200 hours per month. The connect speed appears to be as good and better than the best landline I have previously used in Kolat. It took me 5 months to get this info and I now connect with my laptop in my village 80 km northwest of Kolat. There are no landlines here and God/Buddha only know when we can get one. And for whatever it is worth, I just told another Falong about the service and he got a better deal. The same modem cost 8,000 Baht and the promotion price from AIS was 999 Baht per month. Good luck.

JI Quick byte.

A round yellow package.

129 baht for 15 hours. No problems, good speed. I dial 1222. Buy one get one free. I bought 7 packages so I have 7 free too. All works out at 4 baht an hour, cheap enough for me for the next few months.

Check it out, but don't buy them all, I want more.

I live in an area where a fixed line telephone connection can not be obtained for love nor money!

We operate a small internet cafe in our village with 8 pc's next to our house.

We use IP Star satellite an IPStar Satellite connection and as a back up or when travelling DTAC's 999baht per month GPRS solution.

Been running over a year nw and am pleased with IPStar. Just hope the price drops a bit when Shin Sat launch their own satellite next year!

Works well for me.

Why don't you try sattelite for internet ? Not that expensive and available in Khorat at I.S.P.

Can't agree enough, I am having Sattelite connection instelled, testing was great, doing it via Singapore, just gotta spend some time there to use it

:o Call me "thick" I guess, but I see the last two references to "satellite" but I can't figure out where I can get more information concerning this service. "Sounds" really great. Where do I buy? Kolat area?

Korat has ADSL now! Both TOT and TT&T are offering it. Of course, you have to live within 5 kilometers or so of the phone switching office for now. And your office has to have the equipment installed. But they are building out from Nakhon Ratchasima city to reach a larger area. Give it time. Woohoo! True broadband, sort of, at 1000bt a month for 512K.

I pay $40 for 3 meg in the US.

Is there a download limit on that ADSL service?

I don't have enough Thai, and the TOT employees do not have enough English, for me to be able to ascertain any upload or download limits. Anybody with fluent Thai care to drop by a TOT office and find out the details for us?

• 1 month later...
:o Call me "thick" I guess, but I see the last two references to "satellite" but I can't figure out where I can get more information concerning this service.  "Sounds" really great.  Where do I buy?  Kolat area?

we have satallite ip-star at the farang connection in Surin. Costs a bit but well worth it. Check us out www.farangconnection.awebspace.com

Ok, what's a "Michelin" map?

a bloody good map of Thailand made by a tiny rubbery company based in Frogland. :D

Many Farangs here look like the Michelin man :o

btw, ask your Thai wife/girlfriend how to say "Elvis Presley"

Have a good one!

:o Call me "thick" I guess, but I see the last two references to "satellite" but I can't figure out where I can get more information concerning this service.  "Sounds" really great.  Where do I buy?  Kolat area?

we have satallite ip-star at the farang connection in Surin. Costs a bit but well worth it. Check us out www.farangconnection.awebspace.com

Hi lampard10, your cafe looks great, will have to call in when around your area.

can you give me more info on the satelitte conection, price (unit and monthly) and where can buy etc. I'm currently on dail up jixtreme shark byte 15 days (bearable during the day and after midnight) on TOT line but thinking of going on GPRS DTAC for 999bt a month unlimited until I read this thread about satelitte.

Anyone getting a landline is better to get the TT@T rather than TOT so I am told, it took TOT one month for them to fix my bad connection because as it was working, albeit terribly they insisted it was ok, after 3 weeks of fustration and being told everyday "yes we fixed it yesterday" I steamed down to the office and blew my top, a week later it was sorted.

I have been using dialup (1222) internet in Korat for 12 months and was generally quite impressed with the dialup service and value. I have just switched to ADSL (256/128) at 500 Baht per month with a unlimited download through TOT. I am located in the absolute centre of Korat. The installation was promtpt however I am quite convinced that the connection is actually worse than the 1222 dialup or at the best about the same. The file download speeds seem to be slightly better however the net surfing speed seems to be very slow and unreliable. I am actually convinced that it is the international backbone that is the propblem as addresses within Thailand seem to be quite quick.I would therefor not recommend any change to ADSL in the Korat area.

• 2 months later...
I'm going to be living near Maha Chai Chana, 20kms away from Yasothon. My wife says they do not have a phone line yet but they can have one put in for roughly 2000bt. Does that sound right - does anyone know exactly?

She says that it will only take a couple of days for them to come round and do it, but I know what thailand's like and it will probably take 2 weeks!!

This extreme card looks good - I'm only going to be there 5 months so I'll try and give that a go. I live just opporsite Plantip Plaza so they should have it there.

It costs 800bt in Maha Chana Chai and will be installed in 1 week. I would suggest to use Loxinfo for the Internet connection. Thats the only one working there. Have fun.

It costs 800bt to install a phone line in Maha Chana Chai and will be installed in about 1 week if you do not show your face. If you show your face it wiil be little more than 2000bt and take 2 month. Buy Loxinfo standard internet connection (not 1222 etc) This is the only one working there. No fancy modems etc. No support available. Have fun :o

roiet if you look at the top of each posting (next to the smiley on this one) you'll see a date when the posting was made. Right now you just answered a question asked last July by someone who hasn't logged in since.

No problem, its good of you to want to help. I just want you to understand the ins and outs of posting so you don't waste any time. :o

Thanks

cv