Work As An English Teacher

thaipan

G'day folks,

As it is my intention to retire within the next 2/3 months, I was wondering how I can get work as an English teacher, I have no teaching credentials so how hard would it be for me to get work, the money is not that important it's really to stop me from becoming bored and I do have a Thai wife and young son.

Regards.

Thaipan

Numpty has given you good directio.,

just remember "retire" if you apply for a retirement visa you can't work!

You will need a non immg visa B but you can arrive on an O and if you still desire to teach change to a B once work has been arranged.

I am no expert in these matters but it is for definate that retirement visa means no work!! :o

G'day folks,

As it is my intention to retire within the next 2/3 months, I was wondering how I can get work as an English teacher, I have no teaching credentials so how hard would it be for me to get work, the money is not that important it's really to stop me from becoming bored and I do have a Thai wife and young son.

Regards.

Thaipan

At least complete one of the many accredited ELT training courses on offer before you inflict yourself on your students. :o

1. Take TEFL training in Ban Phe with TEFL International, or a Celta course at ECC.

Make sure you know what you are doing. Get some good texts and supplementary materials. A computer and color printer, or hand made art materials for making your own supplementary materials. A tape recorder and some tapes.

2. Find a place where you want to live.

3. Make friends with your neighbors. It would be a good idea to take some Thai lessons in there somewhere!

4. Get someone to help you recruit students, place ads in thai newspaper, make flyers in Thai etc.

Teach at your home or at your student's place in your spare time. If in your home, have a room set aside, such as an office, which is for teaching/business only and looks that way.

5. Put a small, discreet sign out front and maybe some flyers around the hood.

6. Stay out of anything remotely resembling a compromising position with your students (ie female). Be professional.

Congratulations you have a part time job.

Or you can always go work in a school and deal with all the hassles that go along with it. I'd choose scenario 1. I never did it myself, but have heard/read from people doing this on the net. If the money isn't important, that's great, but you can make decent money. Better if you don't have to work so much and it's fun, tho.

Best of luck.

You will need a non immg visa B but you can arrive on an O and if you still desire to teach change to a B once work has been arranged.

I am no where near retirement age but it does not hurt to think of the future i was thinking of living in thailand There is a retirement visa? This thread was very informative

Chok Dee

Thepnakhon

The above is not correct.

As you are married to a Thai I assume you have a O visa, and that also allows you to work. No need for a B.

Talk to the school were your son goes.

They may wecome your unpaid help.