Good Places To Eat In Krabi

Jai Dee

Krabi's newest eatery - Tamarind Restaurant on Chao Fa Road is definitely recommended for both Thai and Western food. (Just opposite the new tax office)

It's a really nice setting, family-run and serves really good food at very reasonable prices.

The pizzas are delish, and start at 150 baht. They also have a kid's menu which makes a refreshing change in these parts! And it's a great place for a family dinner as the friendly owner's kids are often there too.

The menu covers the entire spectrum from schnitzels to bangers and mash, plus curries, seafood, and light bites - such as nachos and satay.

The cocktails are fresh, juicy and made with that all-important dash of tlc. And only 99 baht!

It's definitely the best restaurant serving Thai and Western food in Krabi. And it's not mine by the way, but I do eat there a lot!! licklips.gif

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Krabi's newest eatery - Tamarind Restaurant on Chao Fa Road is definitely recommended for both Thai and Western food. (Just opposite the new tax office)

It's a really nice setting, family-run and serves really good food at very reasonable prices.

The pizzas are delish, and start at 150 baht. They also have a kid's menu which makes a refreshing change in these parts! And it's a great place for a family dinner as the friendly owner's kids are often there too.

The menu covers the entire spectrum from schnitzels to bangers and mash, plus curries, seafood, and light bites - such as nachos and satay.

The cocktails are fresh, juicy and made with that all-important dash of tlc. And only 99 baht!

It's definitely the best restaurant serving Thai and Western food in Krabi. And it's not mine by the way, but I do eat there a lot!! licklips.gif

I'll be there next week will have to give it a go.

For those of you who like Mexican Food, I found a decent bit of it on Lanta at The Parkway restaurant in Saladan town.

Not cheap, but the large combination, I get it with beef, has crunchy tacos (shells not the prefabbed crap) and covered in cheese burritos. Recommended by someone (me) that knows Mexican.

• 1 month later...

I like it. Use to buy rye bread and chees there (take home).Well, 200 baht for a bread is not cheap! On the way to Ao Nang, at Na Thai area is another baker. Fresh bread, 65 baht, lovely baquetts etc.

Good restaurant, there is one when you drive from Krabi to Ao Nang. Half way between the last traffic light and the gas station at Sai Tai, on the left side where there is a lot of sharp turns. There is no sign as I can remember. The owner is a western fan (cowboy) and is always in the kitchen him self. Weeery good and cheap food! Seafood? Krua Tara. One small frendly place is Oy's fish and chips.(former english rose) She is married to Mr. John and speek fluent english. After the first 7/11 before the sharp left turn when driving down to Ao Nang. Bon apetit!

Tried to find Oy's fish and chips yesterday, is it still there, there are many 7/11 on left turns; Thank u vm

• 2 months later...

i agree - A1 Restaurant on Nopparat is one of the best in town

Tried it today, after reading your Posting. Still angry, had mixed Grill, the cheapest Quality of Meat i ever had? Tenderloin Beef must have been water buffalo ? and cooked more than welldone, no way to eat. the Porc over 10 Years old. Took the Meat home for the Dog, even my Bang Keow had Problems chewing it.

Ok the Price was not too high, but next Time i will be happy to spend more, have good imported Meat in Carnivore, not have to give all to the Dog.

• 3 weeks later...

Tried it today, after reading your Posting. Still angry, had mixed Grill, the cheapest Quality of Meat i ever had? Tenderloin Beef must have been water buffalo ? and cooked more than welldone, no way to eat. the Porc over 10 Years old. Took the Meat home for the Dog, even my Bang Keow had Problems chewing it.

Ok the Price was not too high, but next Time i will be happy to spend more, have good imported Meat in Carnivore, not have to give all to the Dog.

I had nice fish (in crispy batter) and chips at A1 last week 230B, a nice pork chop (slightly over-cooked, as all pork chops are, but not spoilt) at the Irish Rover 220B and nice noodle soup at Ao Nang Boat Noodle 40B.

Recently had the tenderloin at Carnivore - tasty, but an eye watering 770B !!!

IMHO you can get similar quality at the Italian restaurants in Ao Nang and Krabi for about 450 - 550B

I had nice fish (in crispy batter) and chips at A1 last week 230B, a nice pork chop (slightly over-cooked, as all pork chops are, but not spoilt) at the Irish Rover 220B and nice noodle soup at Ao Nang Boat Noodle 40B.

Recently had the tenderloin at Carnivore - tasty, but an eye watering 770B !!!

IMHO you can get similar quality at the Italian restaurants in Ao Nang and Krabi for about 450 - 550B

Classic Ao Nang, where it's o.k. that a spaghetti bolognese and a salad is 450..................I get that done in Phuket for 190 and people say Phuket is overpriced........

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Earth cafe, next door to the 7/11 closest to Dr Somboon's clinic.

This is a really attractive cafe, a lot of thought has gone into it by the owner who I believe is a cousin of the owner of 'Chock Dee' the local silver jewellery.

Clearly the family has a flair for design and this place is a step up from most other places in Ao Nang.

I had previously been just for coffee, which was very good, but the Full English breakfast on the menu caught my eye because it included black pudding:

2 sausages, 2 eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, beans, mushrooms, black pudding, grilled tomatoes, toast, orange juice, tea or coffee - 190B

Pros: sausages were tasty and 'real' sausages (not the 'hot dog' type), toast was good bread (not the pre-sliced, sugary stuff usually served), real black pudding, coffee.

Cons: bacon usual crispy streaky (might be a plus for others but I long for back or middle cuts), black pudding was the smallest portion you could imagine (very expensive here?), orange juice too sweet (fresh is too much to expect I guess)

On another note, my Thai companion had one of the Thai options but didn't like it too much and didn't finish it but at 80B inc rice not expensive.

There are two Scandanavian options on the menu at 150B and a beer, 0.5l, from the oldest brewery in the world at 150B.

Would like to think the Thai food was an aberration and will go back again as the place is very nice, owners pleasant and the breakfast was 7/10 ( well, it is one down from the 7/11, ha ha.)

However, while parking I saw the cafe next door, KL House I think it is called, offers American Breakfast with coffee for 100B. Got to be worth a try at that price !!

I had the American Breakfast and Coffee (can have tea or coffee) today at KL House - see photo.

For 100 baht I have to say it is great value.

I would never rate it for out and out quality but if you fancy a 'light' breakfast, good coffee and value for money this could be for you.

KL House is on the left hand side as you go out of Ao Nang, just before Dr Somboon's clinic.

post-102175-0-98378300-1300092606_thumb.

I had the American Breakfast and Coffee (can have tea or coffee) today at KL House - see photo.

I would never rate it for out and out quality but if you fancy a 'light' breakfast, good coffee and value for money this could be for you.

100 baht for that !!! Looks like not much food on that plate. I can buy similar here in Phuket Town for 50 baht at a place called Arroy Resturant just at the traffic light past the Thai Airlines main office. Sorry - I know this is Krabi Forum, but I had to make a comment on how dismal that food looks.

100 baht for that !!! Looks like not much food on that plate. I can buy similar here in Phuket Town for 50 baht at a place called Arroy Resturant just at the traffic light past the Thai Airlines main office. Sorry - I know this is Krabi Forum, but I had to make a comment on how dismal that food looks.

Apples and oranges mate !!

1. Phuket Town is a long way to go from Kata for breakfast!

Nobody would expect Phuket Town to be the same price as Ao Nang, just as nobody would expect to pay Ao Nang prices in Krabi Town.

2. Do you also get a good cup of coffee included for 50B? If so I will definitely give it a go next time I am over that way.

Nobody would expect Phuket Town to be the same price as Ao Nang, just as nobody would expect to pay Ao Nang prices in Krabi Town.

2. Do you also get a good cup of coffee included for 50B? If so I will definitely give it a go next time I am over that way.

I do not want to get into a pissing match about this. I just looked at your photo and I thought the food offered was dismal. My point was that in much more expensive Phuket I know a place that offers a similar looking brekkie for much much less. I'm sorry to say that the photo you posted looked very dismal to me for the 100 baht price. If you think that was good value for 100 baht then so be it.

I do not want to get into a pissing match about this. I just looked at your photo and I thought the food offered was dismal. My point was that in much more expensive Phuket I know a place that offers a similar looking brekkie for much much less. I'm sorry to say that the photo you posted looked very dismal to me for the 100 baht price. If you think that was good value for 100 baht then so be it.

I didn't realise we were getting into a pissing match ......... :D ........... I just didn't think it was a like for like comparison.

For two reasons:

1. Phuket Town is cheaper than the coastal resorts in Phuket, and Ao Nang is a coastal resort. So a fairer comparison would be breakfast prices on Kata, Patong or wherever.

2. I assume, because you don't mention it, that you don't get coffee with the breakfast. I don't know how much a decent coffee is over there, but in Ao Nang you will probably pay 50B up.

I agree, if it was the food only it is expensive at 100 baht. But having a good coffee, ie not nescafe, makes it good value for a 'light' American breakfast.

Are you from the UK? If so, where serves the best Full English breakfast, purely on quality not value for money in Phuket?

Apart from hotels, I have only tried Wine Connection in Patong (pretty good) and Black Canyon (decent bacon and egg sandwich).

Ok, I'll answer. Yes coffee is included in the 50 baht deal. Too be completely honest it's 35 baht for the food and 10 baht for the coffee. I know plenty of places in the beach resort of Patong & Kata offering a full English breakfast from 125 baht (and thats 2 eggs, sausage, bacon, beans, toast, coffee, juice), although the places catering for tourists are more like 150+ baht. Anyway this topic is about Krabi eateries and I'm way too far off topic now.

Best breakfast in Phuket has been well covered in the Phuket Forum

• 2 weeks later...

A place not to go is Takola restaurant right next to the CAT building.

First of all it's quite expensive which I don't mind if the food is good. Now at this place, I order a lemon ice tea.... no can do mai mee lemon.... decided to have a nice cold heineken, heineken arrived sadly enough not cold, they had already poured it in a glass then telling me it's not cold and asking me if I want ice in it, no, ice is for liquors and soft drinks not for beer.

Second complaint, one of the main dishes arrived which was beef in red curry...... the beef was tough and unchewable..... would have expected more of this 280 baht dish. Ahh, the rice arrived, cold.... guess they got confused.... is it beer that supposed to be cold and rice hot or the otherway around?

WE had a few other dishes, shrimps..... also a no pass. So the bill was 780 baht, bad culinary experience on this rainy Thursday in krabi. Will stick to the usual ban ton kao and ruen Mai restaruants for good Thai food.

LEt me give some scores out for Takola :

Surroundings 7/10

Service 3/10

Food 1/10

Justy realized that nobody mentioned the ao nang deli yet, the by far best western restaurant in the ao nang area, huge portions for very very fair prices AND top quality.

but than again, for those who dont know where it is, i am not going to tell you, there are only 2 tables and if everbody goes there, there's no seat left for me:)

Mahlzeit.

Justy realized that nobody mentioned the ao nang deli yet, the by far best western restaurant in the ao nang area, huge portions for very very fair prices AND top quality.

but than again, for those who dont know where it is, i am not going to tell you, there are only 2 tables and if everbody goes there, there's no seat left for me:)

Mahlzeit.

What food do they serve? What do you recommend?

I might try it next time i am passing.

Bon appetit.

• 1 month later...

KL House is on the left hand side as you go out of Ao Nang, just before Dr Somboon's clinic.

Looking at the photo it strikes me that I'd eat the toast and enjoy the coffee. Maybe. If it came included in the room price.

Mind you I've seen worse in Bangkok hotels. "Out and out quality" doesn't cover it......"fit for a starving man" might be more appropriate.

Mahlzeit.

They are going to open a new restaurant in Ao Nang Soi 11 by the end of October with sufficient space. No reason to keep the secret any longer.

• 2 months later...

For inexpensive eating in Ao Nang, check out the food cart/stall type "restaurants" on the sidewalk in front of the MacDonald's-Starbucks plaza.

I had a pad-pak gung (vegetables with shrimp), a nice sized serving at 60thb. The next night I went to a different stall, had a red curry that was so smoking spicy that when I left my hair was wet ! Again, 60thb.

Ao Nang has a few good restaurants but I just find them way overpriced. The Mexican place in the walking arcade offers a two option combination plate for 400thb. Ouch. Even Bernies buffet at 250, after a drink and a tip you can't get away under 350thb, so any of you budget travellers or permanent expats like myself watching your satangs, check out these carts for some pretty decent food at good prices.

I normally have a bite to eat next to matey boy with the pick up full off drinks and his small stand on the side of the road,there is a small kitchen set-up next to him,great food cooked by the old lady plenty of smiles and of course very easy on the pocket.....AAAARRRRGGGHHH!!!! gonna be there very soon...............cant wait..........hopefully no tumble weeds blowing down the street;)

• 1 month later...

For me, by far the best and most competitively priced farang food in Aonang is at a place called the sandwich market. It used to be a small corner place with a big football screen opposite Mcdonald in the "sea of love plaza" but they have relocated and re-opened.

If you go past mcdonalds away from the beach and continue up the hill, past the unfinished mosque it's in a small un-tarred soi on the right hand side. there is a sign for it ( orange ) below a large light blue sign for their sister project "GLUR HOSTEL".

It's about 200m down the soi on the right.

My favourites there: Philly cheese steak........grilled beef, grilled onion and blue cheese mayo on ciabatta, sour cream beef burger.

Theres a lot more to choose from on the menu and the price of a sandwich rages from about 105 - 130 baht.

The couple who own it are Thai, but they spent 7 or 8 years in the states so they know how to make a sandwich. It's easily the best western food I've had in Thailand and I would seriously pay more for it.

I've paid more money in other places for something absolutely sub-standard ( often happens in thailand .....toona baket sir? ) so when i found this place I was really impressed.

They also have an awesome view of The Aonang cliffs.

For me, by far the best and most competitively priced farang food in Aonang is at a place called the sandwich market. It used to be a small corner place with a big football screen opposite Mcdonald in the "sea of love plaza" but they have relocated and re-opened.

If you go past mcdonalds away from the beach and continue up the hill, past the unfinished mosque it's in a small un-tarred soi on the right hand side. there is a sign for it ( orange ) below a large light blue sign for their sister project "GLUR HOSTEL".

It's about 200m down the soi on the right.

My favourites there: Philly cheese steak........grilled beef, grilled onion and blue cheese mayo on ciabatta, sour cream beef burger.

Theres a lot more to choose from on the menu and the price of a sandwich rages from about 105 - 130 baht.

The couple who own it are Thai, but they spent 7 or 8 years in the states so they know how to make a sandwich. It's easily the best western food I've had in Thailand and I would seriously pay more for it.

I've paid more money in other places for something absolutely sub-standard ( often happens in thailand .....toona baket sir? ) so when i found this place I was really impressed.

They also have an awesome view of The Aonang cliffs.

Good to know i ll have a look this week end so ;)

Thanks for the recommendation!

The Irish Rover.......Bangers and Mash.........oooh yeah!!!! best pork snags ive had plus a rich onion gravy...now were talking......the Sunday roast is nice as well...................you need something to bind you up after days of spicy/chilli food for sure;)

• 3 weeks later...

If you are in the mood for seafood, I would recommend Aree Ba ba. I'm not that sure of the street but the landmark to look for is the McDonald's or Starbucks at Aonang. Cross the road and it is on the walk towards the left ( taking the Mcdonalds as a reference. It's really good and fresh.

My friends and I ( a company of 4) had

>2 coke

>1 red bull

> 2 large Chang beer

>1 coconut

> 1 mango shake

>5 oysters

>green curry with chicken

>spicy seafood with prawns

>Mussels baked with cheese

> fried chicken with basil leave

> steamed fish

> 3 sticky rice

>1 steamed rice

Altogether, it only cost 1600tbh which was quite cheap seeing the quality of the food itself.

This fricken place.

I went in and wasn't too hungry so ordered a Pad Kapao Gai, which is basically a small plate of ground chicken and rice, spicy. Generally runs 40thb or so, o.k. expensive Ao Nang so I was ready to pay double.

They show up with a plate of sliced chicken and vegetables and say, sorry we don't have Pad Kapao (couldn't have told me when I ordered?). My mistake was just saying o.k. no worries without asking how much this is. I get my bill and they hit me with 220thb................................again, my mistake for not asking before consuming.

Archived