Good Places To Eat In Krabi

Jai Dee

For me, by far the best and most competitively priced farang food in Aonang is at a place called the sandwich market. It used to be a small corner place with a big football screen opposite Mcdonald in the "sea of love plaza" but they have relocated and re-opened.

If you go past mcdonalds away from the beach and continue up the hill, past the unfinished mosque it's in a small un-tarred soi on the right hand side. there is a sign for it ( orange ) below a large light blue sign for their sister project "GLUR HOSTEL".

It's about 200m down the soi on the right.

My favourites there: Philly cheese steak........grilled beef, grilled onion and blue cheese mayo on ciabatta, sour cream beef burger.

Theres a lot more to choose from on the menu and the price of a sandwich rages from about 105 - 130 baht.

The couple who own it are Thai, but they spent 7 or 8 years in the states so they know how to make a sandwich. It's easily the best western food I've had in Thailand and I would seriously pay more for it.

I've paid more money in other places for something absolutely sub-standard ( often happens in thailand .....toona baket sir? ) so when i found this place I was really impressed.

They also have an awesome view of The Aonang cliffs.

Thank you Rykbanlor.

Good directions, was there today, had a honey mustard chicken sandwich on brown bread that was the BOMB. Quite excellent.

Served by a lovely Thai lady, pretty and polite, will be back there for sure.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Irish Rover.......Bangers and Mash.........oooh yeah!!!! best pork snags ive had plus a rich onion gravy...now were talking......the Sunday roast is nice as well...................you need something to bind you up after days of spicy/chilli food for sure;)

I guess it's great if you are a smoker..........smoking allowed in the airconditioned restaurant/bar area!!!!!!! auful and illegal.

Will never go there again.

• 1 month later...

The Irish Rover.......Bangers and Mash.........oooh yeah!!!! best pork snags ive had plus a rich onion gravy...now were talking......the Sunday roast is nice as well...................you need something to bind you up after days of spicy/chilli food for sure;)

I guess it's great if you are a smoker..........smoking allowed in the airconditioned restaurant/bar area!!!!!!! auful and illegal.

I'm not a fan of smokers either, but then again I'm really against over-regulating things. I'm an American, and when you can't even swat your kid for misbehaving under the auspices of CPS taking them away, regulations have gotten way out of hand.

If The Rover's owner allows smoking, so be it. Just put a sign outside that says so, so that those of us who do not want to partake in tobacco can choose to enter or not.

Back on topic: can someone please name for me the cafe style place in Krabi town, sort of across from the Hollywood hotel but up the street a little, when you walk in they have the pictures of all their dishes on the walls with pricings. Great food there and CHEAP ! Just can't ever remember the name, need to change the nic to Grumpyoldalzheimers........

• 2 months later...

I'm not a fan of smokers either, but then again I'm really against over-regulating things. I'm an American, and when you can't even swat your kid for misbehaving under the auspices of CPS taking them away, regulations have gotten way out of hand.

If The Rover's owner allows smoking, so be it. Just put a sign outside that says so, so that those of us who do not want to partake in tobacco can choose to enter or not.

Back on topic: can someone please name for me the cafe style place in Krabi town, sort of across from the Hollywood hotel but up the street a little, when you walk in they have the pictures of all their dishes on the walls with pricings. Great food there and CHEAP ! Just can't ever remember the name, need to change the nic to Grumpyoldalzheimers........

Cafe 31 maybe? Incredible and edible portions. A few doors downhill from Kyo Ngean in Krabi. Quality and giant portions.

I do believe you are right bunta, Cafe 31. Thank you.

Excellent food and inexpensive.

Funny story, I had a really spicy pork chop and chips in there one time, made my nose run. Paid the bill and the girl was looking at me sort of funny, got back to the car, looked in the mirror and I had the BIGGEST booger ever, hanging out of my nose. Embarrassing for sure.......

Funny story, I had a really spicy pork chop and chips in there one time, made my nose run. Paid the bill and the girl was looking at me sort of funny, got back to the car, looked in the mirror and I had the BIGGEST booger ever, hanging out of my nose. Embarrassing for sure.......

Grumpy old men never get embarrassed.

Grumpy old men never get embarrassed.

Well, believe it or not (up to you !) in front of cute little things, we do.

• 3 weeks later...

I just ate my best and biggest burger in Thailand ever - luckily here in Ao Nang!

2 x 150 gr. ground beef inside, it made my day! :-)

Oh, the place is a new red building at the junction to Ao Namao, the name is Reddevils or something like this.

post-94006-0-58703400-1337593671_thumb.j

I just ate my best and biggest burger in Thailand ever - luckily here in Ao Nang!

Oh, the place is a new red building at the junction to Ao Namao, the name is Reddevils or something like this.

Yes, if I am not mistaken, I believe this is Chef Umberto from Sala Bua/Lo Spuntino's outfit.

Bound to have good food, for sure, looks like an epic burger. That sounds like a good name for an over the top burger "The Epic Burger".

Yes, if I am not mistaken, I believe this is Chef Umberto from Sala Bua/Lo Spuntino's outfit.

Bound to have good food, for sure, looks like an epic burger. That sounds like a good name for an over the top burger "The Epic Burger".

Sounds good. What sort of price out of interest? How about quality and value of the rest of the menu?

Sounds good. What sort of price out of interest? How about quality and value of the rest of the menu?

As I remember, the spicy burger (1 beef, bacon, cheese inside) was 220 and the double was bit more than 300. All came with french fries and was more than enough. You can not compare these burgers with Burger king's cheap plastic burger. :-)

I saw on the menu different steaks (T-bone, striploin, sirloin, pork chop, chicken and sausages), I will give a try for a steak on this weekend. They have pastas, pizzas and some appetizers as well.

As I remember, the spicy burger (1 beef, bacon, cheese inside) was 220 and the double was bit more than 300. All came with french fries and was more than enough. You can not compare these burgers with Burger king's cheap plastic burger. :-)

I saw on the menu different steaks (T-bone, striploin, sirloin, pork chop, chicken and sausages), I will give a try for a steak on this weekend. They have pastas, pizzas and some appetizers as well.

Not cheap then at over 300 bht = over £6 sounds like a rip off tourist prices to me

I can recommend relax coffee shop in krabi town just up the road from the old pier next to up to you bar full English 3bacon,beans,2 eggs,tomatoes,fried potatoes,sausage,2 slice wholemeal toast and latte misses had thai dish and orange juice total 274 bht I think he has 1 off the best menus I have seen in krabi town

• 3 weeks later...

Do yourself a favor and try the Frog and Catfish Restaurant at Din Daeng Noi (near Nong Thale). It's about 12-15 minutes out of Ao Nang, but it is so worth the trip! The food is superb and is well priced, they do both Western and authentic Thai foods, and the staff are so friendly. The place is amazing - beautifully landscaped gardens with water features and they have a swimming pool that diners are free to use. They also have full bar facilities and a pool table. I have stayed there as well and the rooms are awesome, well priced and they include a full English breakfast, which is the best that I have had anywhere. I cannot recommend this place highly enough, it is by far my favourite restaurant in Krabi.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oi! leave off burger king, nice burgers, lots better than the wet sloppy crap at mcdonalds.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Best steak in the whole area is definitely at Wanna's Place. Went there for the first time today because I absolutely wanted to eat a good steak. And I got a good one, soft, very tasty, grilled on a hot stone in front of myself...aaaah delicious !!!!

Best steak in the whole area is definitely at Wanna's Place. Went there for the first time today because I absolutely wanted to eat a good steak. And I got a good one, soft, very tasty, grilled on a hot stone in front of myself...aaaah delicious !!!!

Wanna's Place? I thought that became the L resort with a Brazilian themed restaurant?

Wanna's Place? I thought that became the L resort with a Brazilian themed restaurant?

Spoke with the swiss owner yesterday. That's what it has been for nearly 2 years, a churrasco-concept, but they thought it over and went back to their original concept. And it's tasty !!

@ Taninthai: You're right concerning the short time it has been a brazilian (churrasco) restaurant. The owner though has remained the same one since 25 years. 2 Years ago, he was just looking for a new concept, rebuilt the place into the "grotto-style" and then soon returned back to his original concept.

Another vote for Krua Thara on Nopparat Thara beach.

Been going in there for a long time.

Live crabs, mantis shrimp, lobster in tanks upon entry.

Fresh assorted fish normally caught that day in ice coolers near the tanks.

The staff are lovely and they have a pair of Thai dwarf twin sisters, who are both 40 and about 3 feet tall who are really nice and work bloody hard.

I'd recommend the "Tom Yam Kung Nam Sai" which comes to you in an individual-portion steel coal warmer.

Also their "Kung Jup Paeng Tort" or battered fried shrimp is a nice starter and they make a mean "Som Tam"

Conveniently a stone's throw from the beach.

Also, inside they have photos on their wall that show the devastation the tsunami caused to the area.

Hence why the English name for the restaurant is "After Tsunami".

My very favourite place and always busy.

---

I've yet to find an Indian restaurant that's even approaching mediocre. They're all over priced with shockingly awful food.

With the significant Indian/Nepali presence in the area I'd have thought there'd be better fare available, but it's not really that surprising as this is common of most tourist destinations I have been to.

If anyone has a really really good Indian, I'd love to know about it.

Had a good meal in a garden restaurant about 2k out of Krabi town heading North on Th Maharai on the left 20meters past Ma Ha rat soi 28. very nice place with good food and brilliant service.

Does anyone know the name?

The Isaan salad was pet maak maak!

• 1 month later...
Had a good meal in a garden restaurant about 2k out of Krabi town heading North on Th Maharai on the left 20meters past Ma Ha rat soi 28. very nice place with good food and brilliant service.

Does anyone know the name?

The Isaan salad was pet maak maak!

It's called RUEN Thai or RUEN Mai, a very old and well established restaurant,been on this site for about 12yrs,previously situated in town across from the river.regarded by many local Thai's as the No 1 restaurant in Krabi.

Archived