Koh Lanta Car Ferry Open?

traveldog

Hi. I am thinking of going on a small trip with my girlfriend to Koh Lanta next week. I would like to drive my truck and take the ferry from Krabi to Lanta and get the idea from websites that maybe car ferry isn't open now? Do any of you know? Is there a better ferry website? On one website seems like the ferry runs all day...on another just twice a day??Am I crazy for wanting to do this? Any great bungalow recommendations also appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

Hi. I am thinking of going on a small trip with my girlfriend to Koh Lanta next week. I would like to drive my truck and take the ferry from Krabi to Lanta and get the idea from websites that maybe car ferry isn't open now? Do any of you know? Is there a better ferry website? On one website seems like the ferry runs all day...on another just twice a day??Am I crazy for wanting to do this? Any great bungalow recommendations also appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

Do not know about the ferry but I can recommend Blue Andaman.

Semper

Thanks Upcountry.....well, I have done lots of internet searching and still not sure but believe the ferry runs daily, in fact many runs back and forth, and the last ferry at 10pm???.....so I am going for it. If it isn't running when we arrive at Hua Hin pier(take off point from Krabi) we will just get on a passenger boat i guess. Its not the destination but the journey...... :o

I think the car ferries you're talking about are a little out of Krabi Town to be honest. About an hour. Drive east towards Trang from Krabi Town, pass through Klong Thom, keep going and a few kms down the road you'll come to the 4206, the road that takes you down to the first ferry. It's well signposted so you shouldn't miss it. Anyway go down there to the end (30 kms or so) and join the Q for the ferry to Lanta Noi. They run back and forth all day and I think the last one, at this time of year is around 6-7pm and not 10pm.

Once on Lanta Noi, drive anti clockwise around the island and you'll see the sign for the ferry to Lanta Yai which is where I presume you're wanting to go. Join the Q and once on the ferry, it's only a few minutes onto Lanta Yai.

I was over there a couple of weeks ago and believe me the place was deserted. Many, nearly all businesses closed and in the few hours I was there, I saw only four tourists. It was a ghost island. When I do overnight there though, I tend to stay at Lanta Bee Garden but again this place was closed. Maybe better waiting a few months and go there when it is 'open' for the season. Either way, have a good trip.

~~~

I took the car ferry yesterday from Koh Lanta and it is definitely up and running as usual...

I was there for four days. Weather was very nice...I walked on Long Beach two nights in a row and only saw a few people...only locals.

Drove down to Bamboo Bay one day...the road is in good shape.

Very few restaurants open...mostly up near Saladan...but it's even quiet there. A few local places along the road are open...

Had breakfast at Bootshaus in Phra Ae...it was good...coffee was excellent.

~~~

Thanks VTR and Ono for your replies and information. Sounds great. I love traveling in "Green Season"-hate the crowds love the quiet.....I have a rese at the Sea Sun Sand Resort....B700/nite(discount from B2400) seems like a nice spot from the internet. Great that most places are closed...my girl will find us food from the local shops I'm sure....and we will have a blast trucking the island rain or shine! Thanks again, will post again when we return if any our interested??? :o

Yes, its open. 6am-10:30 PM, I believe. Its a little slow right now because some are broken down, so plan on your trip from Krabi to Lanta taking over 3 hours, even though it should take about 1 1/2.

There are tons of nice bungalows still open on Lanta, depending on what you're looking for and your budget. Park your stuff and just walk along the beach till you find something you like.

I was at the ferry 2 days ago, just wanted to have a look how it is like, while I was travelling Krabi - Trang. there was one big ferry which still looked acceptable (for Thai standards), but the one which obviously was operating at that very moment, was a small nutshell, and looked kinda scary. dont know if the big one is operating as well during the rainy season.... anyway, its a short trip only.....

sadly, I didnt have time to make it to Lanta itself, I am sure I would have enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere and deserted beaches as well....

• 2 weeks later...

I took the car ferry a couple of weeks ago and there was a 20 minute wait for the boat at the mainland HuaHin pier but from Lantan Noi it was straight on the second ferry with no delays.

Apparently work on the road bridge from Lanta Yai to Noi will being within the next 6 months. No plans for a bridge to the mainland though

• 3 weeks later...

The car ferrys runs everyday all year 7- 10pm. if there is an emergency they’ll crank it up too. The long lines are also due to the big high and low tides- the larger boats cant get around as well in low tide. Nothing official has been announced about the bridge, but we are hopeful. :o