Any Expats On Lanta These Days?

fallingoffthemap

In what way george, because its gen traditional foods etc? Or..?

REALLY want to visit Ko Lanta. Have researched a bit and looks amazing. Looks like one of the nicest areas to live (seeing as i like a bit of quietness) If it IS all i hope, I will consider moving down that way.

Sorry for highjacking your topic:

Any members here lived/worked on Lanta?

Need some infos please.

Thanks and sorry again!

Gerd

I've been here for several months now. What do you want to know?

I would like to know:

How are the connections to the mainland?

How are the local people?

Apart from the hotels/resorts any interesting places to go?

and living on this island in general.

Thanks!

Gerd

Edited by thaigerd

Sorry for highjacking your topic:

Any members here lived/worked on Lanta?

Need some infos please.

Thanks and sorry again!

Gerd

I've been here for several months now. What do you want to know?

I would like to know:

How are the connections to the mainland?

How are the local people?

Apart from the hotels/resorts any interesting places to go?

and living on this island in general.

Thanks!

Gerd

There are 2 car ferries you have to take - one to the next island and then one to the mainland. Getting to the mainland can take 1/2 hour-2 hours, depending on traffic. There's plans to build a bridge to speed this up, but nothing yet.

The local people are a mix of Thais and Thai Muslims. The Thais are friendly and most know each other, and the Muslims keep to themselves a bit more, but in my epxerience, are mostly friendly enough as well. It's a really laid back place. During the high season, there are lots of farang - divers mostly, I think, and something resembling a small nightlife. Off season, there's a small handful of tourists.

Other than the fabulous beaches -there are lots of them - there's the standard elephant trekking, long boats, island tours and kayaks, but there's not too much else, really. There's a waterfall and a cave, allegedly - haven't seen those yet, a small monastery and a Vipassana center. But you won't find a mall or a Starbucks, though a Thai friend just told me there will be a KFC opening soon - ugh.

As far as beer and ham sandwhiches go, I think he was referencing the Muslim population - but trust me there is no shortage of booze here, but I can't vouch for your ham sandwhich. There are several Irish/English styles pubs, though. Where the real Muslim influence seems to be is in keeping out the sex trade. You won't find too much resembling Patong or Pattaya on Lanta.

I love it, but it is really, really quiet these days.

Thanks for the info. When i next get a chance will head for a looksee myself.

It sounds a bit like what I read up on and what i hoped it would be. I dont drink and being veggie the ham sandwich bit isnt for me either :o

Great info falling....can I ask what are you doing there on Lanta? The island sounds kind of nice to me. I will be on island on Saturday maybe we can meet for a beer? By the way do you know if CAT has coverage there? I will bring my laptop at any rate...but just wondering if I can connect with my mobile CAT CDMA card thingy. Thanks

My 2 Bahts worth - Lanta is best just before and just after the high season which is from what I have seen is mid Nov to Feb. Between April and October it resembles a deserted ghost town with the majority of businesses closed for the quiet season. Each to their own but the low season really is the low season. Having said that, it is a nice place and the further south you go, the nicer it becones in my eyes if a little more rustic (excluding Pomalai(sp?) et al.)

Great info falling....can I ask what are you doing there on Lanta? The island sounds kind of nice to me. I will be on island on Saturday maybe we can meet for a beer? By the way do you know if CAT has coverage there? I will bring my laptop at any rate...but just wondering if I can connect with my mobile CAT CDMA card thingy. Thanks

What am I doing here? Long story short, not much. :o

I don't know what CAT is, but if you're looking for wifi, you can find it. The best place that's open now that I know of is a little tiny Swedish pub called Hammerby's. Its on the right hand side on the main road heading south. If you're heading down the main road near Long Beach and you pass the 7-11 on your right, you've gone about 25-50 meters too far. They don't open till 2 PM, only problem. Some of the larger resorts have wifi, and there's a few random spots on the island you can pick it up. But Hammerby Bar is reliable and chill.

And sure, I'm down for a beer. :D

Koh Lanta is nice, but I feel uneasy there as you sometimes have a hard time to order a beer or a ham sandwich...

probably George is referring to the fact that this is predominantly a very conservative MUSLIM place and pork-ham and alcohol is not easy to come by....

Koh Lanta is nice, but I feel uneasy there as you sometimes have a hard time to order a beer or a ham sandwich...

probably George is referring to the fact that this is predominantly a very conservative MUSLIM place and pork-ham and alcohol is not easy to come by....

Being vegetarian, I have no idea what the ham situation is like, but I must correct you on the alcohol - there are plenty of Thai and farang owned bars, and nearly all the minimarts and restaurants sell beer and the usual assortment of sangsom and hong thong. True, there are a few that don't, but an card-carrying AA member would do just fine on Lanta.....

Have been there today, very nice island indeed!

The ferries are a joke, why they don't build two bridges :o

Gerd

Gerd,

I think the ferries are a great part of the experience, getting to Lanta. After a drive from Phuket, for instance, arriving at the mainland ferry terminal means it is almost time to unwind. I like it, but am sure the locals would prefer bridges - if ever funding was available... same same with the two main Yao Yai islands - locals want a bridge, but no funding!

There's talk and plans to build bridges, but I have no idea of the timeline. However, Lanta has only had electricity for something like 10 or 15 years, so all things considered, they're doing ok. During the high season, you can take a boat for about the same price as a minibus and avoid the car ferry.

Ferries were awful today - took me nearly 4 hours to get from the mainland to Lanta Yai.