Pros/cons Of Dating A Burmese Girl?

dubwise

Girl works at a fallafel place near to me. Really lovely girl, very pretty, great english, great personality... but she's from Burma. Now I presume she's working here illegally and could be deported if caught... but ###### she's nice and I want to ask her out! Am I mad?

Girl works at a fallafel place near to me. Really lovely girl, very pretty, great english, great personality... but she's from Burma. Now I presume she's working here illegally and could be deported if caught... but ###### she's nice and I want to ask her out! Am I mad?

Why would you be mad?

Love has no boundaries...go for it and help her to solve eventual problems.

The fact that she speaks great English and has a great personality says something about her; don't loose her, you #diot.. :o

LaoPo

short term is probably ok.

long term probably not if you want to stay in Thailand, assuming shes illegal. But many thais also look down on their poorer cousins over the border so it wont be all roses. But take a chance I say.

Go for it . . . how many Thai women have those attributes . . . few . . .

Our maid is Burmese (not meant to sound derogatory) and her English is excellent as she was a book-keeper/accountant back home, and she has a lovely personality as well.

I've met her family and can only say that the Burmese that I have met have all been lovely people.

go for it!

And i agree with the sentiment that if there are any legal probs, you might be able to help her.

I remember a girl where I used to live, in Kan'buri, - no relationship or nothing but whom I had "adopted" as my little sister.

Before the famous Bush Jr visit to Thailand in '03 (?) there was a clamp down, and she got deported.

Through some local friends, we got her back and working again within five days, and immediately (and again thru some friends) we got her some papers, and although I've since moved on, I believe she is still there working, now married to a nice Thai chap.

Go for it.

I mean, we're talking about taking her out and getting her drunk and so on right, not commitment til death do yous part.

Indeed she may not be illegal. We imported our maid from Burma (Well, Shan state I suppose) and she's pretty legal. Just can't take her out of the province without a permit but that's good so she can't escape to Bangkok and make more money, which of course isn't everything.

Edited by Sanpatong

Why would you be mad?

Love has no boundaries...go for it and help her to solve eventual problems.

The fact that she speaks great English and has a great personality says something about her; don't loose her, you #diot.. :o

LaoPo

i second that wholeheartedly!

Nationality is just a label which has come about by some historic line being drawn in the sand.

If it feels good..........you will only regret it if you don't give yourself ( and the lady ) a fair chance.

Good luck.

For all we know you might not be here legally either....:o

You will never know more about her unless you talk to her.

Burmese, Bagladeshi, Bahraini, British ... who cares ?

It's 2007 and worse thing can happen than dating her, assuming that happens.

I dated a Laotian girl for a while.. She was here with dicky Thai ID cards and stuff.. It did make it complex for her to get back and visit family and a few other minor wrinkles.. But she was a great girl..

Girl works at a fallafel place near to me.

By the way, where's that?

(Don't worry, it's the fallafel I'm after which shows you how much of a life I have)

ha ha ha.. So it wasnt only me that did a Homer.. mmmm.. Filafel.. DROOL...

Got to know a Burmese girl in Uk.Lovely girl and great english,but way too young for me.She had a Bangladesh passport as her mum and dad had left Burma in the 70's and gone there when all the problems started.I think the Burma will be one of the next countries that will wake up and chuck out the junta.Once that happens will be a great destination.Just hope it happens in my life time.

Hi dubwise

Go for it ....you will only live to regret it if you don't. Then worry about any future problems if and when they arise.

Good Luck

TBWG :o

i have quite a few burmese freinds who are like family.its sometimes strange thinking about these people,alongside the problems in burma.if you were serious,the cost of a burmese passport in yangoon is only around 900 baht (if its big money,it's probably fake) ,plus 1000+ baht for the agent to process.then she would have to show $500 to get a thai visa,plus a return flight.

Girl works at a fallafel place near to me.

By the way, where's that?

(Don't worry, it's the fallafel I'm after which shows you how much of a life I have)

:o

Got to know a Burmese girl in Uk.Lovely girl and great english,but way too young for me.She had a Bangladesh passport as her mum and dad had left Burma in the 70's and gone there when all the problems started.I think the Burma will be one of the next countries that will wake up and chuck out the junta.Once that happens will be a great destination.Just hope it happens in my life time.

Seconded. Plus this Original Poster will have the pleasure of saying, "I remember when I met my lovely wife, and her country had gone to the dogs... And look at it now... back to the Golden Paradise it once was!"

:D

Plus Column

1) Really lovely girl

2) Very pretty

3) Great english

4) Great personality

5) Burmese

Minus Column

1) Maybe illegal

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Sums it up nicely. Has our O.P gotten some idea of what we think?

:D

On the felafels note... my favourite is in a wee soi just before Khao San Road Police Station, so off the big main road as opposed to Khao San itself. It's bee there about 18 years. It's next to a good pizza place too. The felefels are great and you can sit inside or out. It's dead cheap too! The other food is spot on too. When I'm in BKK I eat nothing else.

Girl works at a fallafel place near to me. Really lovely girl, very pretty, great english, great personality...

:D Wow so where's this fallafel place....I can help you out by taking her out for you!!!! :o

i have a shan girlfriend and i must say that shans are great people, along with burmese people . very friendly and nice warm people. Only cons about them is them holding a burmese passport which makes it difficult for them to go anywhere , even thailand.

Now, anyone wishes to hire my girlfriend as a domestic housekeeper? she's looking for a job like that too, as she cant get out of her province without a permit and she wants to get a job, doesnt want to stay home doing nothing

Edited by jetzie