Names Of Loud Bird

sigmondfreed

I know this is not very important, but, does anyone know the Thai name for the grey bird with a black tuft of feathers on it's chest that has a VERY loud, VERY early morning call that (seriously) sounds sort of like an orangutang??

Kind of a long Whooooo, oooh, oooh, oooh, sound? (I swear it reminds me of monkeys).

I know this is not very important, but, does anyone know the Thai name for the grey bird with a black tuft of feathers on it's chest that has a VERY loud, VERY early morning call that (seriously) sounds sort of like an orangutang??

Kind of a long Whooooo, oooh, oooh, oooh, sound? (I swear it reminds me of monkeys).

From the description of the call it certainly sounds like Greater Coucal - very deep and booming? However, as per photo, they are not really grey - more black with distinct rufous wings. Young birds would be streaky though.

The only other possibility I could think of would be Asian Koel. Photo here http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.p...amp;Bird_ID=425

Call is an incredibly loud "Koooooel, koooel". Again though bird is black unless it's a young male in which it would be greyish streaked, similar to as shown in photo which is actually a female.

• Like 1

We have a couple greater coucals as pictured living next to our house. Lately one has occasionally tapped on our windows. The first time I actually thought it was the wife or kids knocking. They make a ooh ooh ooh ohh ohh call. I quite like it, so I don't know if it could be the same bird as it doesn't seem quite loud.

I have taped my best imitation and will upload it here:

coucal.wav

Edited by qualtrough

We have a couple greater coucals as pictured living next to our house. Lately one has occasionally tapped on our windows. The first time I actually thought it was the wife or kids knocking. They make a ooh ooh ooh ohh ohh call. I quite like it, so I don't know if it could be the same bird as it doesn't seem quite loud.

I have taped my best imitation and will upload it here:

coucal.wav

I'll give that 9 out of 10! Do that in the back yard and you'll have a garden full of them!

As long as we are on the subject of anoying birds, does anyone know the name of the one that sounds like a metronome (tok, tok, tok, tok) about one second between toks. There never seems to be more than one in a given area. At first I thought it was some kind of musical instrument (two sticks being beat together) but everyone says it is a bird!

As long as we are on the subject of anoying birds, does anyone know the name of the one that sounds like a metronome (tok, tok, tok, tok) about one second between toks. There never seems to be more than one in a given area. At first I thought it was some kind of musical instrument (two sticks being beat together) but everyone says it is a bird!

Terribly annoying bird, called a Minah bird, and in Thai called "Nok eeyan." No way to get rid of them either!

That's almost certainly a Coppersmith Barbet - farily common around parks and gardens. Can call ad nauseum.

Despite it being very colourful and about the size of a starling they are very tough to see in the upper foliage.

http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.p...amp;Bird_ID=313

Terribly annoying bird, called a Minah bird, and in Thai called "Nok eeyan." No way to get rid of them either!

Anything with a name like "eeyan" can be most annoying. dribble.gif

And Qualtrough, thanks for your imitation of the Greater Coucal. Most impressive. What others can you do?

Edited by Blinky Bill

Bunches of them around our house. Occasionally one manages to fly inside our house for a brief visit.

post-566-1185643660_thumb.jpg

And Qualtrough, thanks for your imitation of the Greater Coucal. Most impressive. What others can you do?

Actually I am a Greater Coucal, so it is not an imitation, but thanks just the same. I can't really imitate other birds very well, but I do a ###### good imitation of a human! I would write more but I have to fly... :o

• Haha 1

Actually I am a Greater Coucal, so it is not an imitation, but thanks just the same. I can't really imitate other birds very well, but I do a ###### good imitation of a human! I would write more but I have to fly... :o

Tuki Tuki Bird?

Anyone know how they call the Greater Coucal / Woop Wooop Woop Bird in Thai? I'd like to be able to talk about them.

Funny this should come up as a subject now as I noticed and learned about this bird myself quite recently. The Thais call it นกกะปูด nok ga-bpuud, and the same phrase is also used to mean " tattletale ; gossip ; blabbermouth ; bigmouthed ; outspoken ; indiscreet ; shoot off one's mouth " (quoted from www.thai2english.com).

Yeah they name it 'nok eeyan' , there are several flying around here .

There is a story with this bird though . i do not know itf the lacal people know this though but it comes from my wifes Khmer culture believes . When they make the loud noise it is not good to mention it , because this bird is seen as an omen , bad luck ,

when pointing out to this bird it will get anoyed , meaning it is a bit of a magical bird , at least in the jungle a long time ago !

Correcting myself , sorry the bird is called nok kapuut or similar pronouncement like that , nok eeyan are the ones that

stay with the woeah all the time , smartass birds are that . The story I mentioned above is also not the ' nok Kapuut'

bird . I asked my wife just and told me I have got the rong one it is called cheraap( in khmer) she does not know the thai name , looks similar as a crow , black bird but different and makes a talking loud sound like they are telling bad news .

I got confused , sorry about that!

Think your wrong on this one-a Minah bird is all black with a yellow bill that you can teach to talk :o

The bird that Tywais has pictured above is what I know as an Indian Minah. A big pest in Australia too.

(And they don't talk)

Edited by chiliwasabi

Think your wrong on this one-a Minah bird is all black with a yellow bill that you can teach to talk :o

The bird that Tywais has pictured above is what I know as an Indian Minah. A big pest in Australia too.

(And they don't talk)

They can talk , but they take their tongue out for this , what I understand , they do talk a little but not like a parrot !

• 12 years later...

Minah Birds are highly intelligent, easily learn how to speak or imitating other bird calls. Have one at home which I saved from a cat after it had fallen out of the nest. He is very tame.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/25/2020 at 7:31 PM, WHIER said:

Back in the 80's there was an absence of songbirds as 24D had been used for a decade previously for mosquito eradication. Slowly, the songbirds came back over the next two decades. Be happy you have these noise makers. Despite the smog....they would leave if it wasn't habitable.