Thai Girls Rarely Carry Condoms

thaigerd

Thai girls rarely carry condoms

ANCHALEE KONGRUT

Kittaya Jantarataneevivat, 16, giggled as she grabbed a condom from a volunteer distributor while strolling in front of a department store in the Ratchaprasong area yesterday.

The girl, a student of Surasak Montri School, was among many young people, both boys and girls, who received free condoms in a campaign to promote safe sex by the Public Health Ministry in the city's main shopping district.

The schoolgirl carefully looked at the small package, squeezing it lightly while giggling.

When approached by the Bangkok Post a minute later for a comment, she immediately said she didn't want to talk about it.

''Yes... I know what it is. My mother often discusses sexual diseases and how to prevent them with me,'' she said.

Have you ever used one?

''No!''

Have you ever bought one?

''Absolutely not!'' she replied, with a blush.

Even though girls in Thailand are now more open to sexual issues, they are still quite conservative when it comes to the subject of condoms.

Unlike boys, girls risk being labelled as ''bad girls'' if they show they are too keen on this taboo subject.

According to a survey by the Public Health Ministry, Thai girls hardly carry condoms and are also too shy to ask their partners to use them.

The ministry's survey last year showed that of 80% of teenage girls who admitted to having had sex, only half said their male partners had used condoms, while 47% of teenage boys said they always carry condoms. The survey also showed that women, particularly young girls, are two times more likely to get Aids compared to men.

The Public Health Ministry said a change is needed to this reserved attitude among women.

In western countries, girls are more comfortable about asking their partners to wear condoms or even saying ''no'' if their men refuse to use them.

Public Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla said he hopes the campaign will change the attitude of Thai teens and adults alike.

''I wish Thai society had a positive attitude to condoms, just like when we use separate spoons when eating with others to prevent the transmission of diseases,'' he said. The ministry's safe-sex campaign will continue in the major provinces until the end of the year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the BANGKOK POST

If I had a 16yr old daughter and found that she always carried condoms, she wouldn't be allowed out of the house! :o

Its going to happen sooner or later, teenagers should be educated and prepared.

Mark

I don't mean to be superior or anything but the handout/freebe Thai condoms tend to be inferior and have less quality than Western ones (durex etc).

Its better than nothing of course but they are not infallible.

I've had cheapo thai condoms 'fail' on me several times now.

Back in the UK I Got the 3 month HIV checks done, all clear, but the nurse says to me 'Why the hel_l are you using the local thai condoms? They are death trap for slipping and splitting! Don't use them! Here, use proper ones instead!' She then passed a packet of about fifty premium grade condoms! Cheers. :o

I don't mean to be superior or anything but the handout/freebe Thai condoms tend to be inferior and have less quality than Western ones (durex etc).

Back in the UK I Got the 3 month HIV checks done, all clear, but the nurse says to me 'Why the hel_l are you using the local thai condoms? They are death trap for slipping and splitting! Don't use them! Here, use proper ones instead!' She then passed a packet of about fifty premium grade condoms! Cheers. :D

Had those NHS condoms before, far too small for me. :o Cheers

Mark

Edited by markr

Whose responsiblity is it to carry condoms anyway?

Soundman.

Whoever doesn't want to end up as an unwanted pregnancy/STD statistic.

When I was doing the impetuous, spontaneous thing (very occasionally!! :D:o ) I always had condoms in my bedside drawer.

Soundman.

When I was doing the impetuous, spontaneous thing (very occasionally!! :D:D ) I always had condoms in my bedside drawer.

How often NR ? :o

A bit more serious OK.

I was in Lotus and decided to purchase a pack of condoms together with some vitamins and other stuff.

At the counter most of the workers were gigling and none of them wanted to help me.

Remember this was a pharmacy!

In the end I was able to purchase them but the looks on their face was just< I do not know how to tell).

What is wrong with buying condoms?

Soundman.

When I was doing the impetuous, spontaneous thing (very occasionally!! :D:D ) I always had condoms in my bedside drawer.

How often NR ? :o

55555! As often as was needed! :D:bah:

But it was a very long time ago, now... :D

A bit more serious OK.

I was in Lotus and decided to purchase a pack of condoms together with some vitamins and other stuff.

At the counter most of the workers were gigling and none of them wanted to help me.

Remember this was a pharmacy!

In the end I was able to purchase them but the looks on their face was just< I do not know how to tell).

What is wrong with buying condoms?

How did you get them to ring you up? Did you have to say something, or did they get over the childish laughing?

I am surprised you had to put up with sniggers at the pharmacy, Alex. I always bring a few packets with me from Australia - I have seen plenty of Thai guys buy their condoms at Seven-11 or Family Mart convenience stores.

Peter

I am surprised you had to put up with sniggers at the pharmacy, Alex. I always bring a few packets with me from Australia - I have seen plenty of Thai guys buy their condoms at Seven-11 or Family Mart convenience stores.

Peter

If I notice the (female) clerks having a giggle while I'm browsing the selections, I'll ask them which kind they prefer. I've only done that a few times, and most of the time, their (very quick) response is "Strawberry". :o

• 1 year later...

Back in the UK I Got the 3 month HIV checks done, all clear, but the nurse says to me 'Why the hel_l are you using the local thai condoms? They are death trap for slipping and splitting! Don't use them! Here, use proper ones instead!' She then passed a packet of about fifty premium grade condoms! Cheers. :o

not true... aside from the fact that thai condoms can be too small, i don't find them any different (quality-wise) than ones in the states.

plus, "US brands" such as durex and lifestyle are manufactured in india and thailand...

Back in the UK I Got the 3 month HIV checks done, all clear, but the nurse says to me 'Why the hel_l are you using the local thai condoms? They are death trap for slipping and splitting! Don't use them! Here, use proper ones instead!' She then passed a packet of about fifty premium grade condoms! Cheers. :D

Had those NHS condoms before, far too small for me. :o Cheers

Mark

well you could always blow them up like a balloon before putting on!

While not exactly a teen. One of my wife's friend's daughter who is unmarried became pregnant. The family demanded the man should pay up, and he refused. My wife came home and told me the story, and was shocked when I said I don't blame him. When asked why, I said. "It takes two to tango, both of them obviously didn't bother with contraception, and it is her fault as much as his." I must admit I had to rephrase the two to tango bit several times before I got that through.

In case nobody's figured it out yet, teenagers have been having sex for quite a number of decades, even when I was in high school back in the stone age. The head-in-the sand approach, by many in policy making positions in some countries, including USA, is counter productive to avoiding unwanted pregnancies & STD's. Sex education, including condom use, should be required in all schools.

We all know it isn't lack of education, there is plenty of that around. Like the man said on another thread, he was told to regard Thai's as 5 year olds, well the giggling and shyness is a symptom of that immaturity here. They end up paying the price by being a single Mum busting her hump on a building site or in a restaurant while the guys skips off and bangs someone else. All in a country where abortion is illegal so the only "slight" alternative is a back street abortion shop in Washington Square, very nasty.

So some may say it is the man's duty to "bag up" but it would be a self preservation tool for the woman to carry (if she can see any further than her next orgasm).

I have been told on several occasions that girls don't carry them because if stopped by the police and the girls have a condom they are branded as prostitutes soliciting for customers and get fined.

If that is really the case, the the BIBs need to have a swift change of attitude.

I have been told on several occasions that girls don't carry them because if stopped by the police and the girls have a condom they are branded as prostitutes soliciting for customers and get fined.

If that is really the case, the the BIBs need to have a swift change of attitude.

The average condom can carry 7 litres of water which is why they are often part of a special forces survival kit.