Phuket Or Krabi

zapatero

Hello All,

I realize that this is a very subjective question, and that the considerations are many, but could you "old hands" please tell me, from your points-of-view, "which is the most desireable place to live -- Phuket or the Krabi area?"

I am x-posting this to the Phuket G.T. forum also -- I hope that this is OK.

Thank you and regards,

zapatero

Thank you, Organic -- direct and to the point! Probably suiting most everyone.

For me, however, the nightlife is not so important; nor saving money (within reason). Yep, "within reason" is also subjective. I don't need any 20 million THB accommodations -- or even a fourth that. But I would like a more unspoiled environment, with more genuine people, a view of and preferably proximity to the sea, a good internet connection, and indoor plumbing would be nice. Oh, a source of groceries and potable wine, (the order is alphabetical), also. Any thoughts? I'm reading in here that Koh Lanta sounds inviting...

Best regards, z

You pose a good, solid question there Scottie. I guess I've lived too long in a world so over-burdened by obligations, seldom having time to do the things that I enjoy, that the concept of not being able to keep myself occupied has become nearly meaningless to me. My initial reaction, to quote our childhood philosopher friend, is almost, "Oh, please don't throw me into that briarpatch!" Or, "deliver me unto this challenge!" :o I guess the only real way to answer the question will be to give it a try -- without that, things will remain just too abstract.

Could you please help me though with your perception of the "downtime" during the rainy season? A clearer picture of the differences between then and the rest of the year would give me more to think about.

Thank you and regards, z

I'm in the UK at the moment...at work to be precise.

And by the time you've done a days work, & then gone home done any chores... you know wash the car etc. You're spot on we're just not used to having time on our hands.

I'm in the middle of building a guesthouse North of Chiang mai, with the idea of moving out in the next 18 months.

You're also dead right.... you've got to give things a try, no good regreting things in 20 years.

For us ( me & wife ) Chiang mai has plenty to offer if weather lousy.

Shopping, cinema, restaurants, ten pin bowling etc.

As you know there's no set thing re. the weather. Could rain just in evening for an hour or bucket down for days ata time.

What's your idea Z?

Coming out on your own? Is the ocean an attraction for diving etc.?

I do love Krabi, but unsure as to whether I could live there.

Did you say if you'd spent much time there ?

Scottie

I guess its kind of silly to attempt to arrive at a specific conclusion based upon unspecific data isn't it? Well, my interests and values are something like this: sailing, diving, salt-water aquaria, tropical plants, Thai food, good books, and good music. (The latter two probably should be listed first, but they work anywhere; and anyway I expect they would probably have to be BYO to Krabi.)

Yes, I have been to Krabi a couple of times, but unfortunately only briefly -- once coming in from a sailboat, and once on the road from Phuket, going south to Hat Yai. I have been to Phuket four or five times -- I can't even remember anymore.

I guess I need also to say that this current bit of exploration isn't just my "impulse-of-the-month". In fact, in earlier years I have lived in the tropical S. Pacific and quite thrived in that environment. And that's what originally lured me to Phuket.

So yes, it is surely one's specific interests and values that propel one to a particular location. (I have, BTW, been to Chiangmai and the G. Triangle area also.) It does sound like you have made a happy choice for yourselves up there Scottie! Please keep me/us posted on how your venture/adventure is progressing!

Can any of you year-around residents of Krabi offer any more perspectives? (Yes, including Scottie's rainy season concern.) As I said before, I probably really just need to come try it on, but sure would like a stronger grip first, from those of you who already live there. BTW, can anyone tell me roughly how many expats do live in the Krabi area?

Thanks and best regards, z

• 2 months later...
. But I would like a more unspoiled environment, with more genuine people?

I'm reading in here that Koh Lanta sounds inviting...

Hi,

I think you have just answered your own question. :o

I have stayed in both Phuket and Krabi for 6 months and still visit regularly.

Whileas I still like Phuket there is no way I would relocate there, IMO Krabi wins hands down.

After a while I think you will find that Koh Lanta lacks quite a lot in terms of shopping, entertainment, exploring ..........

I stayed 2 weeks there and wouldn`t want to go back really. Been there done that.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Thank you for your vote, Hua.

I am thinking about visiting Koh Lanta in December. Can you please describe for me in more detail what you did find there? That would be most helpful for planning. (I am interested in exploring most everything, both above and below sea level).

Best regards,

zapatero

There were several factors to consider - at least when I made my decision.

Depends a bit on your age also.

My wife and I wanted to retire wherever we settled. We love to eat at different types of restaurants (Italian, Japanese, Indian, Middle Eastern, Mexican, etc etc) - so Phuket is great for that.

We were also concerned about good medical care as we age - and Phuket has two international hospitals - and one of them is quite good.

Another issue was easy access to a decent airport - Phuket again.

Also wanted good access to Western groceries, goods and services - and Phuket was also a good choice in that arena - with TESCO, Big C, and the new TOPS at Central Festival.

Just my opinion.

But, I do have to say - I am considering migrating up the coast to Khao Lak at some point! All of Phuket would still be in relatively easy driving distance though.

• 5 months later...

Krabi by a country mile, we spent last AUG/SEPT in the area last year which is supposed to be the wet season and only had about 5 days of rain the whole time, divided the time between Krabi, Phi Phi , Au Nang and Phuket..

Lotus is just building at Krabi, the airport is undergoing upgrade, the fresh seafood market is great (and cheap ) the scenery in close proximity is superb. Good italian, scandinavian and thai eateries in town. We go back down in May and hope to find suitable accom to move down long term later in the year. :o

Krabi by a country mile, we spent last AUG/SEPT in the area last year which is supposed to be the wet season and only had about 5 days of rain the whole time, divided the time between Krabi, Phi Phi , Au Nang and Phuket..

Lotus is just building at Krabi, the airport is undergoing upgrade, the fresh seafood market is great (and cheap ) the scenery in close proximity is superb. Good italian, scandinavian and thai eateries in town. We go back down in May and hope to find suitable accom to move down long term later in the year.  :D

Krabi (specifically Ao nang) in a heartbeat. If only I could remove myself from Bkk duties :o

• 2 months later...
I guess its kind of silly to attempt to arrive at a specific conclusion based upon unspecific data isn't it?  Well, my interests and values are something like this:  sailing, diving, salt-water aquaria, tropical plants, Thai food, good books, and good music.  (The latter two probably should be listed first, but they work anywhere; and anyway I expect they would probably have to be BYO to Krabi.)

Yes, I have been to Krabi a couple of times, but unfortunately only briefly -- once coming in from a sailboat, and once on the road from Phuket, going south to Hat Yai.  I have been to Phuket four or five times -- I can't even remember anymore.

I guess I need also to say that this current bit of exploration isn't just my "impulse-of-the-month".  In fact, in earlier years I have lived in the tropical S. Pacific and quite thrived in that environment.  And that's what originally lured me to Phuket.

So yes, it is surely one's specific interests and values that propel one to a particular location.  (I have, BTW, been to Chiangmai and the G. Triangle area also.)  It does sound like you have made a happy choice for yourselves up there Scottie!  Please keep me/us posted on how your venture/adventure is progressing!

Can any of you year-around residents of Krabi offer any more perspectives?  (Yes, including Scottie's rainy season concern.)  As I said before, I probably really just need to come try it on, but sure would like a stronger grip first, from those of you who already live there.  BTW, can anyone tell me roughly how many expats do live in the Krabi area?

Thanks and best regards, z

i have lived in ao nang for over a year through 2 high seasons and one low, the last high being one just past, so can not really comment on that one, and am currently now in chiang mai for the foreseeable.

in the high season i mainly concerned myself with diving and found it a great place to live, nightlife isnt too hectic which is nice at times, and if you want to find something more exciting then a trip to phuket/phi phi isnt out of the question since it isnt that far away for a weekend trip with the lads.

everyones perception of the low season is monsoons and exceptionally heavy rainfall, which isnt always the case, (no more so than in chiang mai as i have just recently experienced!), the diving in the low season is often a lot better albeit the seas swell can be larger than normal, but then as a diver you just get on with it. its all part of the fun as far as i am concerned. but you have less divers on the all the dive sites, but the range of sites can be limited due to the fact the sea swells redirect some outings to quieter more protected areas.

but yes the low season can get a bit boring if there is nothing to do, and if there is not many people around to enjoy it with.

for me personally i like phuket, but for me personally it has its place, which is to spend a bit of time and have a blow out once in a while, but i like to chill out and relax in Krabi and Ao Nang, their is a small local expat community but a friendly one, and you can usually find them in certain local watering holes, as for numbers i really wouldnt like to try guess.

:o:D

• 2 months later...
Thank you, Organic -- direct and to the point!  Probably suiting most everyone.

For me, however, the nightlife is not so important; nor saving money (within reason).  Yep, "within reason" is also subjective.  I don't need any 20 million THB accommodations -- or even a fourth that.  But I would like a more unspoiled environment, with more genuine people, a view of and preferably proximity to the sea, a good internet connection, and indoor plumbing would be nice.  Oh, a source of groceries and potable wine, (the order is alphabetical), also.  Any thoughts?  I'm reading in here that Koh Lanta sounds inviting...

Best regards, z

Yeah , everything you just described is not Phuket . I think you just made your decision.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there is a western movie theatre in Krabi? I'm considering moving there from Pattaya (which I dislike because of the large number of retarded farang, and the sheer size).

I lived in Sri Racha for 6 months and really liked the size and local environment feel, can I expect something similiar with Krabi?

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

My Girlfriend and I (both aussies) are travelling by motorbike through asia, we're wanting to spend 3 months in Ao Nang area (we may travel to Malaysia and back to extend this), we work on-line and both rock climb, dive and kayak.

A couple of questions please,

Can you rent a small house or flat (furnished), similar to a middle income Thai family. If so, what size and how much is the rent?

Can you employ locals without having a local business or being long term residents? We would want data entered on an overseas web site. Could I hire a local company/entrepeneur to do this?

• 2 weeks later...

I have a very good friend who lives near Ao Nang. He has a website:

www.hughlloyd.com

I much prefer the Ao Nang area to Phuket. Renting a long tailed boat and visiting some of the small islands is a great way to spend a day. Railay is also well worth a visit.