Reading And Writing Thai

JoshJ

A few weeks back, I got "Easy Thai" off of Amazon.com for $2.50 used. It's a small book and I've been flying through it. For the cost, it's definitely something I would recommend, but maybe an advanced learner might have more refined thoughts on it.

Try "Teach Yourself Thai" by Smyth, but be sure to get the version with the CD.

There are also a lot of free on-line sources. You can search that archives for the links.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought some 'Winnie The Pooh' children books in BKK. These are written in both Thai and English, and are a great help for learning to read simple Thai.

Does anyone know of other story book titles that include both Thai and English, perhaps stories for kids about 7-10 years old (my Thai is getting better!!)

Does anyone know of other story book titles that include both Thai and English, perhaps stories for kids about 7-10 years old (my Thai is getting better!!)

Have you tried reading the bible (e.g. at Thai Bible King James Version)?

bought some 'Winnie The Pooh' children books in BKK. These are written in both Thai and English, and are a great help for learning to read simple Thai.
Have you tried reading the bible

Thanks for the tip! :D

A positively confirmed Atheist and happy heretic like myself would usually not even consider reading that ancient fairytale! :o

But;because it's in Thai,I've actually begun reading the creation myth in Genesis! :D

It's an interesting angle of proselytization the Xians are trying here in order to gather a flock of lost sheep into their pen! :D

I can personally not understand how some people can take those fables seriously though,even when they're served on the finest Thai plates! :D

Cheers.

Snowleopard.

About five years ago, when I first became serious in learning Thai, I bought "Thai: a complete course for Beginners" by David Smith ( from the "Teach Yourself " series of language books ).

It's only now that I've begun to actually do each of the lesson Chapters. Its a very good book to start with for reading and writing Thai.

Another very good book to start with is "Easy Thai: An introduction to the Thai Language" by Gordon H. Allison. Its a very good introduction to the Thai language for beginners, with the essentials to for learning the basic skills to read and write Thai.

I've only recently been taking Thai language classes ( since January) here in New York City, and The main book that I'm using now for my Thai class is the A.U.A. Language Center Thai Course Book ( I'm starting Book 2 now ) by J.Marvin Brown. It's pretty good, but it helps alot if you had a little prior experience with Thai.

I can read and write simple Thai sentences now, but there are still many, many essential words that I still do not know how to read or write yet... :o

Oh Well... I hope this info helps!

Narachon

I bought some 'Winnie The Pooh' children books in BKK. These are written in both Thai and English, and are a great help for learning to read simple Thai.

I am plannig to buy few of these..

http://www.thaihypermarket.com/books/