Favourites Please!

khall64au

As in the South Thailand forum, I am compiling a section for an international guide book which includes Krabi. Lanta, Phi Phi and other less commercial spots. All recommendations will be researched and possibly included.

Please share your favourites!!

:o

• 2 weeks later...

I thought they were tearing Reggae Bar down and "relocating" it, as the land has been sold/leased - ? That's what I was told at the end of April anyway.

My favourite - The restaurant called Thai Cuisine in Ko Lanta. Yum.

I thought they were tearing Reggae Bar down and "relocating" it, as the land has been sold/leased - ? That's what I was told at the end of April anyway.

I think Thai Cuisine is no longer as well.

And umm, OP, shouldn't you be doing your own research???

Really? Thai Cuisine has shut down? I thought he was just closing shop for the low season and going back to Surat Thani....

Thai Cuisine is just shut for the season. Reggae house- done-finished- The Swedes have taken over with some ugly villas.

my favorite places on Lanta:

Andaman Sunflower Resort Phrae Ae

Red Snapper rest. in Phrae Ae

Lantalongtail out of Lanta Old town

in Krabi check out Phanom Bencha Mountain Resort- Great getaway spot. cheers!

the OP mentioned that

All recommendations will be researched and possibly included.

my guess is that he/she is simply looking for leads and suggestions.

Yup, I caught that after I posted and apparently I don't know how to edit my posts properly and ended up posting twice. So my apologies for the snappy remark. :o

Not sure about Thai Cuisine - thought it was gone for good, but haven't been down that way in a while to check it out. A few businesses are already starting to reopen for the season.

As in the South Thailand forum, I am compiling a section for an international guide book which includes Krabi. Lanta, Phi Phi and other less commercial spots. All recommendations will be researched and possibly included.

Sorry if you don't like it, but I do think the previous poster was right - you should do your own research. As a writer myself living on the island for almost 3 years now, I've had to take the rough with the smooth (its not all fun and games being here with crap electricity, mud everywhere, dire social life and much more through low season) however I do so because it ensures I can gather accurate information and keep up to date. If you really want to know an area well enough to write about it AND MAKE A COMMERCIAL PROFIT, get off your butt and go stay there yourself! I certainly wouldn't write about Chang Mai or Bangkok without being bothered to go and live there for a while myself. This is how crap travel guides come about, people are too lazy to take the time and effort to research EFFECTIVELY for themselves. That said, if you do want to produce and write something decent, and are willing to forgo your "creature comforts" on the mainland to do so, come and stay and I'll gladly, happily share all my knowledge with you. Ball's in your court!

Sorry if you don't like it, but I do think the previous poster was right - you should do your own research. As a writer myself living on the island for almost 3 years now, I've had to take the rough with the smooth (its not all fun and games being here with crap electricity, mud everywhere, dire social life and much more through low season) however I do so because it ensures I can gather accurate information and keep up to date. If you really want to know an area well enough to write about it AND MAKE A COMMERCIAL PROFIT, get off your butt and go stay there yourself! I certainly wouldn't write about Chang Mai or Bangkok without being bothered to go and live there for a while myself. This is how crap travel guides come about, people are too lazy to take the time and effort to research EFFECTIVELY for themselves. That said, if you do want to produce and write something decent, and are willing to forgo your "creature comforts" on the mainland to do so, come and stay and I'll gladly, happily share all my knowledge with you. Ball's in your court!

Dear Kind Writer,

Thankyou for the advice - although you don't actually state which island you live on. IF you are talking about Koh Lanta - I have been there many times and due to the cost of reaching the outpost isle in the low season - I am simply wondering which surviving businesses of note are actually worth mentioning.

Since my project involves a huge area encompassing most of southern Thailand - first and last time I will ever agree to writing a travel guide for a major publisher who stands to make enormous financial gains - with, in hindsight, no commercial profit to be made for myself after many to-date expenses, I am simply utilising the media tools of the rest of the planet to gather a little public information.

Would you care to PM me and discuss this matter in private? Perhaps I can help you to avoid the rip-offs in the writing industry and therefore provide invaluable assistance to your precious time if you make the effort. :D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Don't forget to mention "Massage Alley" in Ao Nang behind the beach. A row of numbered (1 through 12, I think) roofed massage plinths which do 1 hour massage for 200Bht. Really nice friendly people and good massages.

The "Last Cafe" right down the end of Ao Nang beach - great for lunches , snacks and drinks - lovely setting.

The night market between Ao Nang and Noppharat - usual stuff, good seafood , good ambiance, cheap plus one Issan stall.

The Volkswagon Camper Van Cocktail Bar, close to the Somkiet Buri & Ao Nang Paradise hotels - tiny place - open air - aout 3 tables - on the roadside...............most cocktails 70BHT.

• 2 months later...
Don't forget to mention "Massage Alley" in Ao Nang behind the beach. A row of numbered (1 through 12, I think) roofed massage plinths which do 1 hour massage for 200Bht. Really nice friendly people and good massages.

The "Last Cafe" right down the end of Ao Nang beach - great for lunches , snacks and drinks - lovely setting.

The night market between Ao Nang and Noppharat - usual stuff, good seafood , good ambiance, cheap plus one Issan stall.

The Volkswagon Camper Van Cocktail Bar, close to the Somkiet Buri & Ao Nang Paradise hotels - tiny place - open air - aout 3 tables - on the roadside...............most cocktails 70BHT.

Hi,

Couldn't agree more with your suggestions. Have been to Krabi several times and love the place and your suggestions.

Regards,

Ningbojoe.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Don't forget to mention "Massage Alley" in Ao Nang behind the beach. A row of numbered (1 through 12, I think) roofed massage plinths which do 1 hour massage for 200Bht. Really nice friendly people and good massages. The "Last Cafe" right down the end of Ao Nang beach - great for lunches , snacks and drinks - lovely setting. The night market between Ao Nang and Noppharat - usual stuff, good seafood , good ambiance, cheap plus one Issan stall. The Volkswagon Camper Van Cocktail Bar, close to the Somkiet Buri & Ao Nang Paradise hotels - tiny place - open air - aout 3 tables - on the roadside...............most cocktails 70BHT.

I´ve been to Aonang twice, but don´t know what you mean by "Massage Alley behind the beach". Which beach do you mean, the one at the corner where the boats to the nearby islands are leaving ?

One of my favourite nightspots is "Luna Bar", right at the beach towards the Kickboxing Stadium

Peli

Mid range bungalow in Ao Nang: Ao Nang Paradise

Best food in Krabi so far: Steak Ta-Tor

Glad to see you went to Steak Ta Tor and liked it! It is my sister-in-laws place. Meaw is an interior designer and Tor worked as a chef at a 5 star restuarant in BKK before starting Their place 5 years ago. This is why the place looks so good and the food is high quality. Tell them sister Jeab in America says sawatdee!

meandwi

Edited by meandwi

Don't forget to mention "Massage Alley" in Ao Nang behind the beach. A row of numbered (1 through 12, I think) roofed massage plinths which do 1 hour massage for 200Bht. Really nice friendly people and good massages. The "Last Cafe" right down the end of Ao Nang beach - great for lunches , snacks and drinks - lovely setting. The night market between Ao Nang and Noppharat - usual stuff, good seafood , good ambiance, cheap plus one Issan stall. The Volkswagon Camper Van Cocktail Bar, close to the Somkiet Buri & Ao Nang Paradise hotels - tiny place - open air - aout 3 tables - on the roadside...............most cocktails 70BHT.

I´ve been to Aonang twice, but don´t know what you mean by "Massage Alley behind the beach". Which beach do you mean, the one at the corner where the boats to the nearby islands are leaving ?

One of my favourite nightspots is "Luna Bar", right at the beach towards the Kickboxing Stadium

Peli

you turn left at the boat station by the police post and continue right along the beach road till you reach the double doors. Go through them, past the fisherman's Cafe and you're on massage alley.

post-8644-1206317874_thumb.jpg

I've seen where some posters have acknowledged the OP is a professional writer, but still, this just seems to rub me the wrong way.

If the OP is to profit from all of the posters suggestions, please let us know what bar you will be buying drinks for us at, and maybe more suggestions will come along.

Maybe Time for Lime......

Edited by huggybear

Trip Advisor today named the Top 10: luxury hotels in the world. Number 2 (in the world) goes to Layana Resort and Spa.

Here's the full list, for those who have the travel bug - and money's no object!

1. Los Altos De Eros, Costa Rica

2. Layana Resort and Spa, Thailand

3. The Ritz-Carlton Berlin, Germany

4. Mykonos Grand Hotel & Resort, Greece

5. Hotel Le Palais, Czech Republic

6. Nisbet Plantation Beach Club, Nevis

7. La Villa des Orangers, Morocco

8. Le Royal Meridien Beach Resort & Spa, United Arab Emirates

9. The Chesterfield Mayfair Hotel, England

10. Corinthia Grand Hotel Royal, Hungary

Peter

• 1 month later...

I've seen where some posters have acknowledged the OP is a professional writer, but still, this just seems to rub me the wrong way.

If the OP is to profit from all of the posters suggestions, please let us know what bar you will be buying drinks for us at, and maybe more suggestions will come along.

Do you charge for advice now?

Sorry, just seems abit harsh of you...

I am going to Krabi on Tuesday so this information is invaluble to me. Though if anyone has any ideas on good hotels around the 1000 B mark (preferably under!), that would help me personally further.

OP Sorry, dont mean to hijack...

Do you charge for advice now?

Sorry, just seems abit harsh of you...

I am going to Krabi on Tuesday so this information is invaluble to me. Though if anyone has any ideas on good hotels around the 1000 B mark (preferably under!), that would help me personally further.

OP Sorry, dont mean to hijack...

"Do you charge for advice now?"

Who are you directing that question at? Yes, if you are going to publish the advice for profit.

Ao Nang Sunset Resort during low season is 1000, Mee Bungalows less but not as nice. They are across from the MacDonalds.

Wat Tham Seua, the Tiger Cave Monastery, is a highlight of the Krabi area. Abbot Ajahn Jumnien is a master meditation teacher and has built a beautiful monastery over the years in the caves. Not to be missed!