1 Week In Isaan-what To Do, Where To Go?

TenDreams

Thinking about spending a week or so working my way from Phitsanulok through into Isaan, then coming back to Bangkok.

Just after any tips of where and how to spend time.

Mainly interested in having a laugh, so areas with fun restaurants/bars etc are welcome suggestions.

Actually I dont know much about Issan at all, so any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers.

I recommend you to go to Surin in the heart of Khmer country. I´ve spent a lot of time there. There are some nice bars and restaurants. The two best hotels are Majestic and Thong Tarin - Majestic (at the Busterminal) being the better of the two. People are generally kind and helpful. There is really only one street (near Thong Tarin hotel) where all the nightlife is situated. Go and visit Huay Saneng dam. Take a taxi there (if you don´t have your own car). There are some really nice restaurants att the end of the road next to the dam. Go visit the elephant village (Moo Baan Chang) and the border market (Thailand/Cambodia) Chong Chom.

Cheers

I'd suggest Khorat. Big city excitement without the Bkk traffic. Great nightlife and still easy to get back to Bkk. One place I would go for great live music is in western Khorat called Blue um, Blue Cafe, or Blue something. Sorry I can't remember exactly, but Khorat is a fun town. :o

dave

In general, night life in Isaan as compared to the Bangkok, Pattaya or Phuket scene is virtually nonexistent. Korat probably offers the most with Khonkean, Ubon, Udorn and Surin having some pubs and resturants of note. If you are traveling with a Thai they will be able to find entertainment in every provincial center in Isaan. A good time can be had attending a Morlum (Isaan country music) concert anywhere, any weekend throughout the region.

The various annual festivals in all are good fun value. Depending on when you travel, check out the festival schedules on the web. A few are;

Bun Bungfai Rocket festival. This fertility rite, originating in pre-Buddhist times, is celebrated in a number of locations both in Isaan and in Laos, but most vigorously and most famously in Yasothon Province. Other Isaan festivals are the Candle Festival, which marks the start of vassa in July in Ubon and other locations; the Silk Festival in Khon Kaen, which promotes local handicrafts; the Elephant Roundup in Surin; and the bangfai phayanak or Naga fireballs of Nong Khai.

Edited by roietjimmy

I'd suggest Khorat. Big city excitement without the Bkk traffic. Great nightlife and still easy to get back to Bkk. One place I would go for great live music is in western Khorat called Blue um, Blue Cafe, or Blue something. Sorry I can't remember exactly, but Khorat is a fun town. :D

dave

Yes it is and it does have great nightlife whatever your taste may be..... :o:D