Is 2500 Thai Words Enough

Darlek

Numerous studies have revealed that in every country, native-speakers use only about 2,500 distinct words and phrases on a daily basis. Dr. Pimsleur spent his lifetime studying these language building blocks. With the Pimsleur approach, it's not how many words you know, but rather, which words you can use. By aiming each lesson at teaching you to use those 2500 words, the Pimsleur approach teaches you to speak the most Thai in the least amount of time.

so what are those 2500 words ? sounds easy this way , cut out all the unecessary

rubbish from language lessons ...

I don't really think there is anything revolutionary about the Pimsleur approach, but it seems to work quite well as far as I have heard.

The most common 2500 words are what most schools/methods who focus on spoken communication will try to teach you anyway, but language does not consist of words only - you also need to understand in what order to say them and in what relation to surrounding words they need to be.

If you use the word order and idioms from another language with Thai words, you are not very likely to make yourself understood properly.

In addition, when you speak Thai, you have to use sounds which are uncommon in European languages. Yet another initial obstacle is the tonal system.

The student must get a grip on all of these to be able to speak Thai clearly.

Then again, some people still manage to communicate their basic needs while failing one or more of the above points.

By aiming each lesson at teaching you to use those 2500 words, the Pimsleur approach teaches you to speak the most Thai in the least amount of time.

Being able to speak 2500 words is all well and good, and certainly an accomplishment to be proud of, though I think it is only a piece of the pie.

I can speak a bit of gibberish Thai, perhaps enough to make myself understood in a few situations. Understanding spoken Thai by a native speaker is a whole other matter, as is trying to carry on any sort of meaningful conversation.

Being able to read and write Thai script, like read a book or write a letter, is something entirely different as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently using Pimsleur Thai 1 and find it very easy and complete. My understanding of the 2500 word theory is that this applies to all languages in the Pimsleur Approach. Not just Thai.

Tone and conjugation are part of the program also. They don't just teach you words. You are taught the proper order and different intonation for similar words.

The 2500 word theory refer to the most commonly used words and the proper use of those words. There is more than one program. Thai 1 is basic.

I assure you will be speaking and understanding basic Thai in 10 days as this program asdvertises.

Mai kao di tau rai,khrap.(not so very well) baa, phom khowchai pasaa thai nit noi, khrap. phom saa khrap. (but i understand thai a little. I know) Laeo khun La, khrap (what about you).

This is obviously the romanized translation of the spoken word in order to understand pronounciation. You will need to hear the tones to make the proper pronounciation. I am not a salesmen for Pimsleur but it works for me.

I hope you find this information helpful. Look for member RCJoop he put on to the URL to download the tapes.

You might know 2,500 words, 25,000 or 250,000 words.

You have people who might be a walking edition of the Oxford dictionary (but as you might see on the forum they can't string two of them together)

It's not how many words you can call on but how well you can use them (put them together)

You have people who might be a walking edition of the Oxford dictionary (but as you might see on the forum they can't string two of them together)
Thanks so much John for you less than encouraging words but what does your slamming my efforts of learning a new language have to do with the Darlek's question.

I am trying and will learn more. I would like to have real experience with natural speakers to learn faster but that is not possible.

Contribution to the forum should be of highest priority here, one would think. Criticism with constructive correction would even be more appreciated than just vague enuendo.

Darlek,

Don't get hung up on the 2500 word thing or anyone's condemnation, get in the way of learning. Sometimes your best effort is not enough for others. You must tell these type of people to piss off ( to the noise forum) or contribute to your need.

There are numerous websites that actually give you pronunciation and intonation also. Maybe this could be John (can't) Be Good's contrition contribution, but then you know how

"when you are perfect in every way".
people are.

Darlek if you would like to PM, probably best as I don't think I can continue with this forum topic (too many forking know it alls. Well only one actually). I might get to riled up and have to turn off my computer. That is the beauty of freedom and free speech. One can say all they want and the other doesn't have to listen. Freedom

You might know 2,500 words, 25,000 or 250,000 words.

It's not how many words you can call on but how well you can use them (put them together)

hastily typed notes posted on the internet dont indicate a persons language abilities !

you supercilious fool --

a 2500 database of common words in a persons head gives them something to aim for when learning a language .